Why Lie?
People, People, People!

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian, JacafamalaRedux
(10-18-2019, 07:44 AM)Porkncheese Wrote: Not long ago many people on this forum were claiming that it is an obligation for Catholics to pray to Mary.

Since then I have brought up this question to many people at church and on forums including priests. "Are Catholics required to pray to Mary?" About 90% said no while 10% said they didn't know. But not one person out of about 200 said yes. 

So I ask myself why? Why would Catholics on this forum lie about such a thing?

I doubt anyone was lying, more than likely they were just telling the truth as they knew it. Also, whether or not it is actually sinful to withhold veneration to the Mother of God doesn't really matter. You would be foolish to forsake what many saints refer to as the easiest means of obtaining salvation, devotion to the Blessed Mother.
May God bless you and Mary keep you!
(10-18-2019, 04:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: People, People, People!

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!

Why not let's have some fun before he gets zapped? Before poof...he gone.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-18-2019, 07:44 AM)Porkncheese Wrote: Not long ago many people on this forum were claiming that it is an obligation for Catholics to pray to Mary.

Since then I have brought up this question to many people at church and on forums including priests. "Are Catholics required to pray to Mary?" About 90% said no while 10% said they didn't know. But not one person out of about 200 said yes. 

So I ask myself why? Why would Catholics on this forum lie about such a thing?

That was my thread you're referring to. At the time, I defended you from what I characterized as a dogpile on you for expressing unpopular views. However, now you seem to be deliberately provocative and uncharitable by accusing the members of this forum of lying.

As far as I can remember, no one in that thread said it was an obligation as such, and many here now have already reiterated that point. Like you, I have often expressed concerns about how the cult of Mary can seem to, in my opinion, go overboard and distract from Christ and His salvation. But I don't deny the important and integral role of Marian devotion in the Catholic faith.

Yes, it may not be required of you as a Catholic to pray the rosary or pray to Mary in general, but you would also be excising a rich and fruitful tradition from your spiritual life. If you're okay with that, then fine, you don't have to. No one should tell you otherwise. But you can't deny the significance of Mary and devotion to her in the Church. Nor should you unjustly accuse others of being liars for acknowledging this fact. 

Again, I say all this as someone whose public doubts started this whole debate. I still have my doubts, yet coincidentally, earlier today while walking and praying my rosary, I felt a feeling of acceptance and joy in regards to Mary, the mysteries surrounding her, and her place in the Church. I can't say definitively that all my doubts are gone, but I'm content with and grateful for the gift of the rosary and the prayers of the Mother of God on my behalf to Our Savior, Jesus Christ who was formed in and born from her Immaculate womb.
Omnia et in omnibus Christus
[-] The following 3 users Like whitewashed_tomb's post:
  • antiquarian, josh987654321, jovan66102
(10-19-2019, 03:59 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: That was my thread you're referring to. At the time, I defended you from what I characterized as a dogpile on you for expressing unpopular views. However, now you seem to be deliberately provocative and uncharitable by accusing the members of this forum of lying.

He was trolling in that thread, just like he's trolling in this thread.

Quote:As far as I can remember, no one in that thread said it was an obligation as such, and many here now have already reiterated that point.

I've re-read the thread, as well. I didn't see anyone say that Marian devotion was obligatory, just that it was in no way opposed to the Faith. So, not only is he trolling, he's outright lying in accusing others of the same thing.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Imperator Caesar Trump, JacafamalaRedux, MagisterMusicae
(10-19-2019, 05:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 03:59 AM)whitewashed_tomb Wrote: That was my thread you're referring to. At the time, I defended you from what I characterized as a dogpile on you for expressing unpopular views. However, now you seem to be deliberately provocative and uncharitable by accusing the members of this forum of lying.

He was trolling in that thread, just like he's trolling in this thread.

Quote:As far as I can remember, no one in that thread said it was an obligation as such, and many here now have already reiterated that point.

I've re-read the thread, as well. I didn't see anyone say that Marian devotion was obligatory, just that it was in no way opposed to the Faith. So, not only is he trolling, he's outright lying in accusing others of the same thing.

Good work, Jovan.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-18-2019, 04:27 PM)roverbeck Wrote: I doubt anyone was lying, more than likely they were just telling the truth as they knew it. Also, whether or not it is actually sinful to withhold veneration to the Mother of God doesn't really matter. You would be foolish to forsake what many saints refer to as the easiest means of obtaining salvation, devotion to the Blessed Mother.

I was referring to a few people on this forum, none of which actually made a post in this thread. Maybe your right anyway.

God Bless
(10-21-2019, 09:37 AM)Porkncheese Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 04:27 PM)roverbeck Wrote: I doubt anyone was lying, more than likely they were just telling the truth as they knew it. Also, whether or not it is actually sinful to withhold veneration to the Mother of God doesn't really matter. You would be foolish to forsake what many saints refer to as the easiest means of obtaining salvation, devotion to the Blessed Mother.

I was referring to a few people on this forum, none of which actually made a post in this thread. Maybe your right anyway.

God Bless

That's interesting. Not long ago, you started with these words:

Quote:Not long ago many people on this forum were claiming....
[-] The following 1 user Likes piscis's post:
  • MagisterMusicae
(10-21-2019, 11:42 AM)piscis Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 09:37 AM)Porkncheese Wrote:

God Bless

That's interesting. Not long ago, you started with these words:

Quote:Not long ago many people on this forum were claiming....

Few or many, the gentlemanly way of addressing issues is to address the person and comments which seem problematic, not to paint a whole forum, or some subset of it as malicious (or liars) without direct accusation.

For instance, if Croque Monsieur takes issue with me or something I wrote, or can show where my words are incorrect, I'm happy to defend or correct. I'm sure others would do the same.

So, if I may, could Croque Monsier point out the persons or statements to which he objects?
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • antiquarian, Jeeter, jovan66102, piscis
Oh porkncheese now you've done it, now you've gone and incurred the wrath of mister music, and now we must all suffer through innuendo laced posts. Oh well, soon you too will learn how to cast aspersions. 

In the meanwhile: 

The Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen explains much

See, the thing is with Mary the miracles tie you to Her

But it may not be your path
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 3 users Like Blind Horus's post:
  • Jeeter, jovan66102, MagisterMusicae