Can one have a mass celebrated for . . .
the soul of someone who died and didn't want Extreme Unction, Confession, or a Requiem Mass????  Doesn't the way they died sort of say it all?  Is it wrong to ask that masses be said for someone defying their Catholic faith?  I just don't even know where to go on that one.

Part of me says yes - even if they died in a state of mortal sin, surely God will give Grace to the family or to other holy souls in Purgatory . . . 

Part of me says no - because clearly they didn't want God or His church involved . . . Such a clear refusal of Grace seems an utter rejection of God's mercy and love.  

Magister, I'm hardly objective on this one.  Perhaps you might enlighten me.  I used to say to myself, "as long as there if life, there is hope."  Now, well, we're past that point.  All I'm left with is begging God's mercy and I'm not sure He will do so; one must want salvation after all.
Adoption, Home School, and Catholic Family Life:  StolenPears.com
(10-28-2019, 06:20 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: the soul of someone who died and didn't want Extreme Unction, Confession, or a Requiem Mass????  Doesn't the way they died sort of say it all?  Is it wrong to ask that masses be said for someone defying their Catholic faith?  I just don't even know where to go on that one.

Part of me says yes - even if they died in a state of mortal sin, surely God will give Grace to the family or to other holy souls in Purgatory . . . 

Part of me says no - because clearly they didn't want God or His church involved . . . Such a clear refusal of Grace seems an utter rejection of God's mercy and love.  

Magister, I'm hardly objective on this one.  Perhaps you might enlighten me.  I used to say to myself, "as long as there if life, there is hope."  Now, well, we're past that point.  All I'm left with is begging God's mercy and I'm not sure He will do so; one must want salvation after all.

We never know the actual disposition of a soul at the moment of death. It is always possible that in the time between their apparent expiry or expression of a rejection of the Sacraments that they changed their mind, and that could always be due to the grace of a future prayer for them, which grace was offered in anticipation.

There are more than a few apparitions of the Holy Souls to people who confirm this. I know of at least one where a suicide, before actually dying repented. He appeared to his sister and told her that he was saved and repented because of the constant prayers she had been saying each day for him.

While a priest could not absolve after unconsciousness or given Extreme Unction or offer Catholic burial as a result of the impenitence, private prayer for the person is certainly still possible.

It is fine to have a Mass offered for them. Due to their impenitence the Mass could only be offered with a private (unannounced) intention, because there is the risk of scandal, and the Church never publicly prays for the dead who have died visibly outside of her bosom. If you ask for a Mass to be said for the repose of this soul, then you should let the priest know that they died seemingly impenitent, so you want the intention kept private.

If they are in Hell and unable to benefit from the grace, then the merits from this Mass will be disposed by God to help others, including the Holy Souls.
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux, jovan66102, mpk1987, redneckpride4ever
Here are some good links about a suicide that was deemed to be saved according to Padre Pio, 

http://www.catholic365.com/article/6487/...-door.html

a priest who was given another chance by Mary at the hour of his death:

and this is an incredible story (a friend of mine heard Gloria give this talk) that EVERYONE should read!  Really inspiring and says so much about the power of intercessory prayer!

It's long but worth your while!
http://www.jesusmariasite.org/the-testimony-of-gloria-polo/