Books on the Crusades
Could any of you recommend good histories of the Crusades written by Catholic authors and available in English? Thanks.
'If you succeed in bringing a single soul to heaven, what charity! what a gain! what glory to God!'

St. Paul of the Cross
(10-28-2019, 09:32 PM)St. Camillus Wrote: Could any of you recommend good histories of the Crusades written by Catholic authors and available in English? Thanks.

The Crusades by Belloc.  Check Tan books or Amazon.
[-] The following 3 users Like karl's post:
  • Augustinian, jovan66102, St. Camillus
The First Crusade and the Idea of Crusading 

and

The Crusades: A History

both by Jonathan Riley-Smith.

They include a lot of quoting from primary sources which I found really convincing.
And, by all means, avoid 'A History of the Crusades' by Steven Runciman. As Wikipedia says, 'His three-volume history has had a profound impact on common conceptions of the Crusades, primarily portraying the Crusaders negatively and the Muslims favourably. Runciman was a strong admirer of the Byzantine Empire, and consequently held a bias against the Crusaders for the Fourth Crusade evident in his work'.

Also, if you don't mind watching YouTube, there is an excellent channel by J. Stephen Roberts called 'Real Crusades History, Academic Discussion of the Crusades'. He has a degree in mediæval history. I can't swear he's a Catholic, but in the dozens of videos I've watched, I've never heard him be anything but respectful to the Church and the idea of Crusading. He also has a few videos of his visits to sites important to the Crusades and you can hear the delight in his voice when he visits a Church.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(10-28-2019, 11:23 PM)karl Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 09:32 PM)St. Camillus Wrote: Could any of you recommend good histories of the Crusades written by Catholic authors and available in English? Thanks.

The Crusades by Belloc.  Check Tan books or Amazon.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I had forgotten that Belloc wrote a book on the Crusades.

Thank you mpk and Jovan for your recommendations and warnings as well. I had come across Runciman's history, but after reading a review I decided against purchasing a copy. I look forward to checking out Jonathan Riley-Smith's book with all of the primary source material.
'If you succeed in bringing a single soul to heaven, what charity! what a gain! what glory to God!'

St. Paul of the Cross
(10-30-2019, 12:48 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: And, by all means, avoid 'A History of the Crusades' by Steven Runciman. As Wikipedia says, 'His three-volume history has had a profound impact on common conceptions of the Crusades, primarily portraying the Crusaders negatively and the Muslims favourably. Runciman was a strong admirer of the Byzantine Empire, and consequently held a bias against the Crusaders for the Fourth Crusade evident in his work'.
If I knew this before, I would still have some bucks with me.
Unfortunately I bought his trilogy thinking it was a good and unbiased material... thank God I forgot this thing for years, and now, after founding it, read your comment before opening it.
Ite ad Ioseph
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ioannes_L's post:
  • jovan66102