Can a future pope take the name of a numbered pope?
For example, if a man elected Pope wanted to emulate the Pontificate of Pius X, could he take the name "Pope Pius X the 2nd" ?
I highly doubt it. However, one could probably take that Pope's birth name.

Giuseppe would be awfully odd sounding, but a great homage to the St. Pius X.
(11-01-2019, 11:09 PM)LionHippo Wrote: For example, if a man elected Pope wanted to emulate the Pontificate of Pius X, could he take the name "Pope Pius X the 2nd" ?

I suppose a pope could insist that his regnal name is Pope Pius X the 2nd.  However, it would be quite strange, as regnal numbering wouldn't repeat the ordinal for two different persons with the same regnal name.  Instead, if a new pope wanted to emulate St. Pius X, he would probably take the name Pius XIII and simply make it known that he has chosen it in honor of St. Pius X.  And what a happy day that would be!
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 4 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • antiquarian, jack89, jovan66102, karl
(11-02-2019, 12:09 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 11:09 PM)LionHippo Wrote: For example, if a man elected Pope wanted to emulate the Pontificate of Pius X, could he take the name "Pope Pius X the 2nd" ?

I suppose a pope could insist that his regnal name is Pope Pius X the 2nd.  However, it would be quite strange, as regnal numbering wouldn't repeat the ordinal for two different persons with the same regnal name.  Instead, if a new pope wanted to emulate St. Pius X, he would probably take the name Pius XIII and simply make it known that he has chosen it in honor of St. Pius X.  And what a happy day that would be!

Cue the music...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatGladTrad's post:
  • karl