Theological Analysis of NDE Testimony of the Afterlife
I have a friend who heard this lady tell her story years ago.

I've shared it recently and I still find it so inspiring and fascinating.

It's long but worth the read.

I think it's apropos since we are discussing limbo and offering Masses for unbelievers. 

I'm wondering what y'all think.  Does it seem theologically sound?

http://www.jesusmariasite.org/the-testimony-of-gloria-polo/

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, we place all our trust in you!

Mary pray for us now and at the hour of our death!
[Image: cleardot.gif]

Catholic Priest Condemned to Hell by Jesus, Saved Thru Mary

[-] The following 2 users Like Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Augustinian, Zedta
Pretty frightening, to be honest.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Zedta
(11-03-2019, 12:04 AM)Augustinian Wrote: Pretty frightening, to be honest.

Really?  Yeah, in some ways it is.

But I really liked how it showed the power of intercessory prayer!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Zedta
(The edit to this post was simply to add the word “opinion” after the word “personal”. Third line down, including this one).

One striking feature of NDE’s is the seeming uniformity of the experiences.

I heard one priest offer a personal opinion. While this priest is a schismatic, I think his belief here is worth considering.

In short, what the person is experiencing is not the Beatific Vision.
Rather, it’s the Transfigured Christ, to whom we’re about to approach for judgement.

At that moment, the soul will know, in the most profound way, that their only real happiness exists in union with this source of perfect Beauty, perfect Holiness, perfect Truth and perfect Goodness.

If the soul is deemed unfit for Heaven, it is precisely then that the most unspeakable sense of loss is experienced. I think that’s where the atheist and agnostic will finally understand the worthless life they’ve led, and there will begin the agony of their conscience.
[-] The following 4 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • Augustinian, dahveed, Some Guy, Zedta
Hieromonk Seraphim Rose's book The Soul After Death is a pretty good look at this topic, and VERY critical and skeptical of the NDE phenomenon as its usually discussed in both popular Christian and New Age accounts.  It's not a long book either.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 2 users Like formerbuddhist's post:
  • Augustinian, Zedta
(11-03-2019, 05:06 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Hieromonk Seraphim Rose's book The Soul After Death is a pretty good look at this topic, and VERY critical and skeptical of the NDE phenomenon as its usually discussed in both popular Christian and New Age accounts.  It's not a long book either.
Good to know, I have it on order along with his book on Nihilism right now
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • formerbuddhist, Zedta
(11-03-2019, 05:06 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Hieromonk Seraphim Rose's book The Soul After Death is a pretty good look at this topic, and VERY critical and skeptical of the NDE phenomenon as its usually discussed in both popular Christian and New Age accounts.  It's not a long book either.

Yes, I've heard we should be skeptical which is why I posted this.

I'm wondering if Gloria Polo's account is in line with Catholic teaching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Zedta
(11-03-2019, 11:52 AM)FultonFan Wrote: One striking feature of NDE’s is the seeming uniformity of the experiences.

I heard one priest offer a personal. While this priest is a schismatic, I think his belief here is worth considering.

In short, what the person is experiencing is not the Beatific Vision.
Rather, it’s the Transfigured Christ, to whom we’re about to approach for judgement.

At that moment, the soul will know, in the most profound way, that their only real happiness exists in union with this source of perfect Beauty, perfect Holiness, perfect Truth and perfect Goodness.

If the soul is deemed unfit for Heaven, it is precisely then that the most unspeakable sense of loss is experienced. I think that’s where the atheist and agnostic will finally understand the worthless life they’ve led, and there will begin the agony of their conscience.

Yes, I don't know if you read Gloria Polo's testimony, but she makes it clear that she was not able to join the others in the Beatific Vision.  She then experiences her judgement with Christ.

I didn't want to get into the vast topic of NDE's in general but this one in particular.
I just finished reading this rather long but stunning account of Gloria Polo. I have to say that at the very least, her recovery is absolutely supernatural indeed. To see her in the video after what she went through with being struck directly by a bolt of lightning and with severe burning, to the point of charring, total destruction of the flesh and many internal organs is absolutely astounding.

I read her account of her after death experience with great interest. I was, for many years, a member of the "Code " team in hospital. If someone's heart stopped beating or they stopped breathing, a "code" was called and we would respond. Over 40 years, one sees a lot of people survive and a number who do not. Many times I was able to talk to the survivors and ask them about what they experienced. Many didn't want to talk about it, some had no memory of anything, but a few did. Not all of them were pleasant experiences and of those, few said much and fewer wanted to talk at any length. Of those with a positive story to tell, they would often tell stories much like Gloria's, but with a bend toward how they were raised religiously.

There was a singular thread of continuity about the experiences that are reported. A commonality, if you will. What is reported by the woman in the article, Gloria, is quite like many I have heard in form, not of course, in content. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross has done much research on the subject and although I am at odds with her opinions, much of her reporting does have similarities in the experiences. They are very often influenced greatly by the "spirituality", again, if you will, of the subject being interviewed and the amount of sincerity and coloration one may have. Because of the latter, I hesitate to relate many of my experiences with those who spoke with me.

Suffice it to say, I highly recommend reading, rather than the video, of her account first. It is quite detailed and quite Catholic as well, in my humble opinion.

Very nice find. I made copies of her testimony, BTW!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • Florus, Sacred Heart lover