What do I think of JPII's "theology of the body"?
(11-06-2019, 03:18 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 02:29 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: (e.g. the Roman vomitorium),
From Wikipedia (tho' there are dozens of other sources).

A vomitorium is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre or a stadium, through which big crowds can exit rapidly at the end of a performance. They can also be pathways for actors to enter and leave stage. The Latin word vomitorium, plural vomitoria, derives from the verb vomō, vomere, "to spew forth". In ancient Roman architecture, vomitoria were designed to provide rapid egress for large crowds at amphitheatres and stadia, as they do in modern sports stadia and large theatres.

There is a common misconception that ancient Romans designated spaces called vomitoria for the purpose of actual vomiting, as part of a binge and purge cycle. LOL

Wikipedia?

Okay, fair enough, but purging was known among Greeks and Romans : https://www.ltspeed.com/bjblinder/public...istory.htm

Quote:Entries compatible with bulimia could be seen in the Latin writings of Aulus Gellius and Sextus Pompeius Festus, grammarians of the 2nd and 4th A.D. respectively; and with the description of "canine hunger" in the works of Theodorus Priscianus, a physician in the 5th century (Smith, 1866; Lewis $ Short, 1900). Romans were known to tickle their throats with feathers after each meal to induce vomiting thus allowing them to return to gluttonous feasting (Fischer, 1976). The Romans did so to enhance the enjoyment of a wider selection of palatable foods. (In contrast Bulimis patients have a narrow sterotyped food selection usually carbohydrates with the repetitive eating of the same item). Galen, a 2nd century Greek physician noted that an abnormal acid humor in the stomach was the cause of "bulimis". Bulimis gave an exaggerated but false signal of hunger (Siegel, 1973; Stein & Laakso, 1988). Powdermaker (1973) noted gluttony was an acceptable behavior for primitive cultures. After months of hunger, hunting for food and finally preparing the feast, one Trobriand Islander declared:"We shall be glad, we shall eat until we vomit." (Boskind-White and White, 1986). In the Talmud (400-500 A.D.) the term "boolmut" was used to describe an overwhelming hunger which impaired a person's judgment about food and on external event (Kaplan & Garfinkel, 1984; van der Eycken, 1985; Blinde & Cadenhead, 1986).
Oh, I'm quite aware of that, but if they had a special place to do it, the name doesn't seem to have come down to us. You're the 'Resident Contrarian'. I'm the 'Resident Nitpicker'! LOL

Will you accept Scientific American?

Purging the Myth of the Vomitorium
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • piscis
(11-06-2019, 04:09 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Oh, I'm quite aware of that, but if they had a special place to do it, the name doesn't seem to have come down to us. You're the 'Resident Contrarian'. I'm the 'Resident Nitpicker'! LOL

OMG!  Like totally gag me, ya' know?    Puke

--resident Valley Girl
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(11-06-2019, 04:09 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Oh, I'm quite aware of that, but if they had a special place to do it, the name doesn't seem to have come down to us. You're the 'Resident Contrarian'. I'm the 'Resident Nitpicker'! LOL

Nope, 'cause that wouldn't be contrary, would it.  Big Grin

[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, piscis, Sacred Heart lover