The Latin Mass becomes a cult of toxic tradition
My oldest daughter and I had a blast re-writing and commenting on this article.  Some excerpts:

(11-05-2019, 05:32 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Whew, boy! This is a doozie and a half. Maybe even two doozies. Or more. Ready? Big breath, folks! From National Catholic Reporter:

That explains it.
Quote:The Latin Mass becomes a cult of toxic tradition
Nov 5, 2019
by Susan from the Parish Council

One culture within the Catholic Church needing major reform is that surrounding the practice of the Novus Ordo Mass.

In a previous era, the Latin Mass was merely a uniform and standard way of celebrating the liturgy in the United States. In the wake of un-needed reforms instituted by the Second Vatican Council, the NO Mass has become a rallying point for culture destroying aging hippies within the church.

Quote:
Although it may be offered reverently, the NO Mass fosters disunity, and at times,  sacrilege in the church. The liturgy — spoken in modern local dialect  — ensures visitors of the Faith from other nations won't understand a flippin' thing. The priest faces the people for most of the ceremony, reminiscent of family reunions. Instead of occasional responses, allowing the priest to lead in worship and offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the congregation plays a hyperactive part in worship, to include clapping, shaking hands, talking, and singing songs sounding like Gordon Lightfoot covers. The altar rail has been removed because, you know, expecting people to show reverence and not play around at the altar is like, rigid or judgmental, or something

Quote:
Instead of a unifying form of worship, the NO Mass has become an instrument of oppression and a gathering point for schismatic hippies. 

Meanwhile, the NO "tradition" empowers womyn. Womyn are expected to wear mini-skirts and booty shorts instead of dressing modestly.  Similar rules exist for the men, who can often be seen in Birkenstocks and team jerseys, depending upon which sport is in season. It is asinine and not the type of attire one would wear to a job interview past 15 years old, and therefore the misinterpretation of the NO Mass actively endorses irreverence. 

Quote:
In most cases, it is useless to politely disagree with people in the NO Mass sect. Their attitude creates blindness — not only to true faith, but to their own behavior.

Anyone who may accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about — a favorite indictment of the NO Mass ideologues — would be wrong. My opinion is based on facts and personal experiences.

Quote:
The NO Mass rears its patchouli smelling head in this unholy history at several points.

Quote:
Womyn look the most beautiful in a vibrant faith community when they dress however their inner Pachamama inspires them," he tried to persuade.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 5 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • 1Faith, MacPasquale, redneckpride4ever, Sacred Heart lover, whitewashed_tomb
Here I found an abbreviated version of the article 

Quote:STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE REEEEE YOUNG CATHOLIC MEN MUST DATE LIBERAL WOMEN LIKE ME REEEEE WOMEN WHO CHOOSE TO WHERE VEILS ARE OPPRESSING ME REEEEEEEEEE

Rent free. It must burn her up to know that nothing she could ever do in this world or the next could EVER change a single thing about how I practice Catholicism. Love the hypocrisy of going to a Latin Mass, demanding everything be changed to suit her tastes, and then complaining that they are somehow the nasty people forcing her to act a certain way. It really is true that libs exclusively project. 

But there are a lot of gems here. All 12 readers of the NCR will find a lot to love.
[-] The following 2 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, Sacred Heart lover
Somehow, I don’t think that person really went to a Traditional Latin Mass at all. Yes, some trad men seem to have pious ghosts for wives. That certainly isn’t a required disposition, however, as there are many trad women who have no problem making themselves heard when they want to be heard.

That author should have actually taken the time to get to know the people- both men and women- she maligned. Is someone really that oppressed if they are happy?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • antiquarian
What is your favorite example of hypocrisy/contradiction/double-think in the article?  For me, it's "The Latin Mass is EXTINCT" combined with "The disturbing popularity and growth of the Latin Mass, especially with young Catholics."

Also, come on Vox.  You can't post something like this without then writing a full point by point rebuttal to BTFO this borderline psycho.  Please write a full length masterpiece and post it on the main page to be shared by these college groups of RAD TRADS at their next secret meeting.  You know you want to.

Or... wait... was this article written by Vox under a pseudonym as a giant troll piece?
[-] The following 3 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, Fionnchu, MagisterMusicae
Quote:When I saw his wife, I was shocked — and suddenly realized the ugly extent of his prejudices. His wife was a mere ghost of a woman. She was covered from head to foot. Her dress was so long that it dragged on the floor. Even her entire neck and her hands were covered. She kept her head bowed and always walked behind her husband. She carried a rosary and looked physically weak — almost ill.

The professor, by contrast, looked swaggering and hearty. He strutted around and chatted with others in church as she followed him like a pale shadow. Seeing this, I believed I had witnessed a very dark side to the professor's spirituality. His religion was a mechanism of abusive control.

My second example concerns a younger Catholic age group — many of whom are apparently falling victim to the ultra-traditional Latin Mass ideology promoted in Catholic activity groups and on college campuses. A female acquaintance of mine, about my age, decided to brave the Catholic dating scene — a recipe for disaster, in my personal opinion. Among the stories I heard from her were of traditional Catholic males shopping for wives, asking her and other girls, "Are you willing to be veiled?" before agreeing to date them. These men did not want to associate with women whom they couldn't religiously dominate.

Men she met in this traditional Catholic peer group would interview girls about theology before deciding to spend time with them — they were arrogant and believed they were somehow morally superior to the women. Instead of standing up for her own dignity, she decided to cave into the pressure — go to traditional services and start wearing veils. I still don't understand why she wanted to associate with that group, or why she decided to give in to oppression.

It is very unfortunate that younger generations of Catholics seeking to deepen their faith are getting sucked into this vortex of toxic, traditional radicalism. I saw many young families at a Latin Mass recently when I was invited to attend a speaking engagement at a traditional church. I happened to arrive before Mass was quite over — having nowhere else to go before the event, and wishing to receive Communion, I decided to sit in on the Mass. Unsurprisingly I found myself surrounded by veiled women who entertained themselves in between kneeling bouts by casting disapproving glances at my leggings and earrings.

I also think it's telling just how much time the author spends perseverating over how all of these other women are DATING and meeting MEN and being DOMINATED and they are all YOUNG and how women like her are being IGNORED (as if not wanting to date her is tantamount to abuse or oppression... imagine the entitlement).  Out of everything she scattershots in this stupid article, the only thing that gets several paragraphs is this stuff about dating.

Is she... one of those dangerous incels I hear so much about???????
(11-06-2019, 08:53 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: But there are a lot of gems here. All 12 readers of the NCR will find a lot to love.

Their readership grew?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 5 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • Imperator Caesar Trump, jovan66102, MagisterMusicae, piscis, redneckpride4ever
I see an article like this as a good thing. As they say, if you're drawing fire, you're over the target.

There's lots of anecdotal evidence over the last several months that Latin Mass attendance around the globe has boomed since the summer of shame, younger priests are heavily favoring Tradition, and the average age in the pews at happy-clappy parishes is about 103.

They know that the demographics are against them, and they're getting nervous.
[-] The following 2 users Like CarolusP's post:
  • redneckpride4ever, SacraCor714
(11-06-2019, 10:28 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 08:53 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: But there are a lot of gems here. All 12 readers of the NCR will find a lot to love.

Their readership grew?

I just googled it out of curiosity.  Their circulation number is 35,000  :laughing:

They refuse to report more current numbers than 2013, which tells me that that number has gone down in that time (that would be the general trend with newspapers).  But the real kicker is that a current number that they give for TOTAL readership (as listed in their media kit where they state prices for advertising) is 100,000.  That means that when you factor in whatever their current circulation number is PLUS online hits, you have 100K - less than the average number of views on a mid-size Let's Play channel on Youtube by an order of magnitude.

That 100K number is the absolute top estimate when you fudge the numbers as hard as possible for them.  That is just so pathetic it's difficult to fathom.  By Vox posting this article here, it got probably triple the exposure it would have otherwise.

(11-06-2019, 10:59 AM)CarolusP Wrote: I see an article like this as a good thing. As they say, if you're drawing fire, you're over the target.

There's lots of anecdotal evidence over the last several months that Latin Mass attendance around the globe has boomed since the summer of shame, younger priests are heavily favoring Tradition, and the average age in the pews at happy-clappy parishes is about 103.

They know that the demographics are against them, and they're getting nervous.

The timing is awfully funny, isn't it?  Right after the Synod - which at best could be called a minor media disaster.
[-] The following 2 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, Fionnchu
Apparently Rorate Caeli was at this mass, according to their Twitter Feed.

“Now, true story: Rorate was present at the Mass in honor of Blessed Charles of Austria when this lady was there, and we only knew she was there because she had a fit because the Priest wouldn't give her communion in the hand”

“Then she made another scene after the mass, and since it was mentioned that she was an NCR girl, we knew this kind of shallow hit piece would come.”

Lol, it would have been a great day to have been an usher, and to attend to the disruption.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
The TLM as imagined in this woman's feeble brain:

[Image: EIuHDh7XsAEMFjT?format=jpg&name=small]
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s