Nasty Trads....
(11-07-2019, 12:21 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: My husband and I attend a Traditional Latin Mass parish in Texas. And sadly, it is the kind of parish that seems to attract the Toxic Nasty Trads. Usually, (unfortunately) men who seem to have some kind of superiority complex and a need to exert their prowess. I know I sound like a feminist, but hear me out. 

My husband and I are in a Facebook group run by said parish. The group shares announcements, news, memes, etc. Somebody (a man) shared a post saying Halloween was evil and satanic and that anyone who participated in it would be possessed by Satan. He further stated that he was locking himself, his wife, and his kids in their home all day long to pray and hide from Satan prowling around. My husband and I tried to engage in some friendly debate with him, but he ended up blocking me and telling my husband that I was an evil, toxic woman who controlled my husband too much. He also said these things about me publicly in the group where everyone could see. 

Another incident that comes to mind is when my husband and I were sitting in our pew during Mass, minding our own business, and a man (who may have been the same guy, who knows?) leaned over and growled in my ear "Ma'am, will you MOVE your PURSE?!" because apparently my purse was bothering him and rather than just move it a few inches himself, he had to make a big deal about telling me to do something. My husband noticed and had to refrain from telling the guy off in Mass. Also note, my husband is about as anti-feminist as a man could be (he and DivineSilence would get along splendidly!) and even he said that the guy was totally out of line. 

Am I the only one who experiences these things? What is it about Traditional Catholicism that seems to make people this way?

People across the board do not make themselves think rationally, nor do they define their key words.  This being the case, confusing the pagan Samhain with Hallowe'en is not unheard of...like the commercialized Santa "x-mas" being confused with the Nativity of the Lord.

You shouldn't be surprised and it's not "traditional catholicism"; you're just having the ordinary human experience.
There are asses everywhere.  Everywhere.  There are unhappy, miserable people everywhere. You examined your behavior and correctly concluded that you did nothing to earn his abuse.  Good for you!  Well done.  Some people are just asses.  Ignore them if possible because they are miserable on the inside, yes, be kind and charitable if possible, but do not take what they say to heart.  I used to be crushed if someone acted like that, but now I try to feel sorry for them.  On the internet people tend to forget they are talking to real people so they go overboard and say things online that they would never say face to face.
Regarding the purse.  No man, ever, EVER, touches my purse, so grumpy would be better off snarling at me to move it myself rather than risk making contact himself.
Don't let one bad apple (or two) spoil the whole thing for you.  Most people are nice.  Most people are kind.  That is why the grumpy guy stands out, because he is the oddity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • antiquarian
(11-07-2019, 05:09 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Everyone at church seems really nice to me - in fact, far nicer and more genuine than a typical NO parish by an order of magnitude.  And before someone comments that because I don't know any toxic trads this means that *I* am the toxic trad: Keep in mind that can't possibly be true because I am far too attractive/charismatic for anyone to ever think that of me.

Thanks for sharing your high esteem of yourself?

On the topic at hand: SacraCor, I'm sorry to hear that you had such an experience with these individuals. But to put it bluntly, there are assholes everywhere. Pray for the guy that he is given the grace of charity, because he sounds like he really needs to work on it. And keep in mind that one unhinged Catholic does not speak for all Catholics.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
(11-07-2019, 12:21 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Am I the only one who experiences these things? What is it about Traditional Catholicism that seems to make people this way?

Well I attend a NO as unfortunately there is no TLM nearby where I live. Just avoid toxic people, pray for them and if an opportunity presents itself try to charitably correct... I would avoid Facebook to a large extent if you can (I only use it for messenger among my family and always aware that they are spying on me). Facebook are rabidly pro abortion etc, they silence dissent, spy on you and sell your information. I sure hope Trump goes after those tech giants which must be done.

God Bless You
At least in the online community, I feel like "traditionalism" has been perverted and people have run amok since the Synod. I'm hoping things calm down so productive discussions can reclaim the throne.
To be without charity is to be estranged from Christ. People who behave in that manner certainly remind me of the Pharisees of old: they are convinced of their self-righteousness and look down their nose upon those who don't meet their definition of the Elect.

Toxic traditionalists are Puritannical in their belief, needing God insofar as a means whereby they convince themselves of their superiority, and shunning Him when it means denying the gratification of their desires. In other words, they are fashioning a false idol for themselves under the guise of the Living God.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ServusDei's post:
  • HailGilbert
Referring to the original post, I've never experienced anything at my FSSP parish similar to what you described. We don't have a FB page though... people tend to be emboldened behind a screen and say things they wouldn't otherwise face to face. Sorry that it happened to you.

We trick or treat, but wear non-occult costumes (my daughter was a pumpkin and my son was a dinosaur this year). Once we were done, we came home and thanked God for the charity we received from others and prayed for the dead loved ones of the people we visited. Once the kids get older I plan to expand our observance of the holiday to talk to remind them about hell and sorrow for those who end up there. Some people at my parish do the same thing, others don't celebrate Halloween, but no one is so nasty in their difference of opinions. 

I think the toxic trad guy you encountered and the journalist from the recent NCR thread are the same problem existing in separate camps. Some people are addicted to conflict and being angry about things. It kind of reminds me of the beginning stages of dementia, where they seem mostly cognizant, but have zero moderation on what they say or the magnitude of their reaction to things they don't like. Except they live most of their lives in that mental space. Zeal without charity, prudence, or faith... there are a lot of people who need to turn off their phones, stop watching/reading the news all day long, and worry more about their own salvation instead of other people.
(11-07-2019, 12:21 PM)pid=\1407091 Wrote:Hello, and God Bless you!

First, in my own experience, I've found nasty people everywhere in the world, not just among the Traditional Catholics.  Besides, as Oscar Wilde said, "The Roman Catholic Church is for saints and sinners alone - for respectable people, the Anglican Church will do."  That we all behave as well as we do, considering that we're a pack of miserable sinners, is probably a miracle in itself!  Deo Gratias!

Second, I think the person who claimed All Hallows' Eve is demonic may be mistaken, but personally I never argue with anyone about anything anymore. I'm too old and have had my share of arguments to last a life time, so I always concede and quit the field.  Also, I've lived in San Francisco for the past several decades, and have gotten quite used to cranks.  Leave them to heaven and mention them in your prayers is pretty much all we can do for them.  Deo Gratias!

Third, the thing I thought about the "move your purse" incident was, wow, she goes to a church that's so crowded people have to squeeze into the pews!  It actually brought a tear to my eye; it sounds like you go to a church like the one I attended when I was a child, all those years ago.  How blessed you are!  Deo Gratias!  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark Trahan's post:
  • The Tax Collector