Halloween
Too late for this year, but just wondering how everyone approaches Halloween with small children -

I don't have a problem with kids dressing up as Cowboys and Indians, astronauts, and other innocent things, and trick-or-treating isn't inherently bad -

However, the culture that goes with Halloween is pretty polluted with the darker, demonic elements. Besides my own experiences at Halloween parties in college, in a former life I worked retail and saw first-hand the costumes and decorations that people were buying. As Catholics, we obviously don't want to participate in that.

Is it possible to celebrate "innocent" Halloween without exposing our children to the other things? Also, I'm pretty uncomfortable with walking up to random houses to ask total strangers to give my children candy. The world just does not feel as safe as it used to.

I guess I'm just asking if other traditional parents have decided that there are positives to trick-or-treating or if the negatives are too great.

Also, do you arrange alternatives, such as Halloween or All-Saints parties?

Thanks,

-New-ish Dad.
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
I understand your concerns and you are right to have them.
Gone are the days when you released the kids to run the neighborhood to collect candy.
We have small and medium kiddos.  The medium likes scary stuff, has watched scary/horror movies with his other grandmother since he was young (no, I don't like it, but no one asked me) and wore scary costumes if he could convince the adults to buy them.  The smaller one doesn't like too much scary (no horror movies for him, I made sure of that) and prefers SuperHero costumes, Ninja costumes, etc.  He was also a mummy once.  If you are going to buy a costume plan to buy it early in the season so you have more choices.
For trick or treating the kids no longer go door to door.  Where we are there are churches that do "trunk or treat" in the church parking lot -members of the church park their cars and give out candy - and this is VERY popular, this year there was a line to get into the parking lot.  Most give out candy, a couple give out small non-denominational gifts.  It works out wonderfully.  We have also taken the kids to the mall to trick or treat from store to store.  The kids must be polite and say thank you for each and every gift.  
You will have to work to keep Halloween fun.  Think about keeping it a combination of Halloween and Fall Harvest.  Pumpkins, of course.  Fall décor.  Making your own Halloween decorations out of paper.  Make caramel apples at home.  Jump into a pile of leaves.  Maybe silly skeletons.  Some "old fashioned" decorations are quite cute, little children popping out of pumpkins and such.  Bobbing for apples and other child friendly games.
Halloween can still be a lot of fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • Filiolus
I love Hallowe'en a lot. All kinds of fun, and the day I read "Little Orphan Annie" to my grandson when he gets done Trick-Or-Treating (with his Dad and Uncle accompanying him). If I had more kids around me, I'd throw big parties.

The FishEaters page on Hallowe'en (FishEaters > Being Catholic > Seasonal Customs > Hallowe'en) might help you: https://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeaf...t12aa.html
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Imperator Caesar Trump, JacafamalaRedux
I’d just dress them up as a red little devil, and have them go from house to house saying “sell me your souls!”
[-] The following 2 users Like Credidi Propter's post:
  • Catherine, Sacred Heart lover
Totally understand your concern. But remember, at its roots, Halloween is a Catholic holiday. The godless, pagan society we live in has contaminated so many of our holy Traditions. Don't let what the pagans do bother you. 

Here are some suggestions to take back Halloween: 

-Bake Soul Cakes with your kids (the recipes are easy to find on Google) and explain the significance behind them. 
-Encourage your kids to dress up as saints. There are plenty of saints who were princesses, soldiers, knights, athletes, etc. 
-Take your kids trick-or-treating at a nursing home and get in a corporal work of mercy while you're at it. I used to work at a nursing home and they always have a ton of candy and so few kids who actually show up. It makes the old folks so happy to see the little kids running around in their costumes. 
-Go to a cemetery and pray for the dead. Set up a little shrine in your home with candles and pictures of deceased relatives and pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet. Teach your kids the St. Gertrude prayer that releases 1000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said. 
-If your kids get an allowance, encourage them to donate their allowance for the month of November towards having a Mass said for a deceased member of your family. 
-Have some salt and oil blessed by your priest and use it in cooking. You can also sprinkle salt around your house; let your kids help.

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

[-] The following 2 users Like SacraCor714's post:
  • Catherine, ServusDei
There's no getting around it: All Hallow's Eve is the time we remember the ones who didn't make it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It can be sobering. Often fear of hell is what's started many sinners onto the right path. I know that was the case for me... It's also okay to have a little bit of spooky fun. We can remember that Christ is King and has defeated Satan and his demons. What is it about roller coasters and ghost stories and the like that many of us love so much?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Our Lady of Victory Homeschool just put out a nice newsletter that talks a little bit about this topic. It looks like a good number of homeschooling families make very good use of the feast days (the Eve, All Saints, All Souls) and allow them to be a time of creative fun and devotion. The traditional parishes near where I live have All Saints parties each year that are well attended.

Here's the newsletter if anyone's interested.
[-] The following 1 user Likes piscis's post:
  • VoxClamantis
I dunno Halloween has never bothered me, demonic stuff or otherwise.  I see a lot of pr*ds who get worked up about the holiday these days, and it feels like a recent thing because I never remember that being the case growing up.  What IS the deal with that btw?  Is it some new type of scrupulosity among P-words?
(11-09-2019, 01:42 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I dunno Halloween has never bothered me, demonic stuff or otherwise.  I see a lot of pr*ds who get worked up about the holiday these days, and it feels like a recent thing because I never remember that being the case growing up.  What IS the deal with that btw?  Is it some new type of scrupulosity among P-words?

In my wayward days of hanging out with various types of p-words, it seemed some of them (especially the born-agains /evangelicals/holy-roller-y ones ) “saw” Satan everywhere and in everything... yes, Old Nick would constantly amuse himself afflicting them with head-colds, nightmares, ordinary marital conflicts, LACK OF GOOD PARKING SPACES — so naturally their heads would explode when the devil went from being a subtle peace-disturber to being a blatant scary costume that kids think is fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Margaret-Mary's post:
  • Imperator Caesar Trump
It's not prudish to consider whether our children should be dressing up as demons or murderers, and our friends as prostitutes and strippers. There's a problem with the way our culture celebrates Halloween.
Filioli mei, non diligamus verbo neque lingua, sed opere et veritate.

Vos omnes amatores pulcherrimae linguae ecclesiae nostrae, videte filum quo de rebus sanctis profanisque colloqui possumus.
[-] The following 3 users Like Filiolus's post:
  • jovan66102, WHCatholic, yablabo