The Situation In Chile
Have either the vandalizing protesters or cooler-headed commenters blamed the Catholic Church in their "uprising"? Having just read Austen Ivereigh's account in his admittedly very slanted take in his "Wounded Shepherd" book #2 on Pope F, of the protracted and sordid abuses and cover-ups perpetrated in the Chilean episcopate, is anticlerical anger fueling this rioting, as well as the other Marxian rhetoric and antifa antics? Or is the destruction of sacred spaces and objects due more to the fact that this generates "good optics" for the media, tweets, agitprop, memes, et alia?
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(01-02-2020, 08:14 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: Have either the vandalizing protesters or cooler-headed commenters blamed the Catholic Church in their "uprising"? Having just read Austen Ivereigh's account in his admittedly very slanted take in his "Wounded Shepherd" book #2 on Pope F, of the protracted and sordid abuses and cover-ups perpetrated in the Chilean episcopate, is anticlerical anger fueling this rioting, as well as the other Marxian rhetoric and antifa antics? Or is the destruction of sacred spaces and objects due more to the fact that this generates "good optics" for the media, tweets, agitprop, memes, et alia?

I don't how much the abuse crisis added to it, but in the Latin countries, the first thing a left revolution does is to attack the Church. For instance, in the Spanish Civil War, more than 6,800 clergy and religious were killed in the Red Terror. As of June 2019, 1,915 Spanish martyrs have been beatified; 11 of them being Canonized. For some two thousand additional martyrs, the beatification process is underway.

At least in Chile, so far, they aren't murdering Catholics and digging up the dead and violating them as they did in Spain.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Fionnchu
(01-03-2020, 05:37 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 08:14 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: Have either the vandalizing protesters or cooler-headed commenters blamed the Catholic Church in their "uprising"

At least in Chile, so far, they aren't murdering Catholics and digging up the dead and violating them as they did in Spain.
Jovan, I am reminded of how going to college during the first Reagan administration, all we heard at my purportedly Jesuit university was the martyrdom of those in Central America against the contras y caudillos, and for the campesinos and base communities. This all tilted left, of course. I speak for my generation, at least, in that the post-V2 cohort likely learned nothing about the "other martyrs"--I never heard of those in Uganda, for instance, and as for Spain, this was obscured or elided as blowback from righteous struggle or as Red-baiting propaganda. If one was not killed in the cause that matched liberation theology, it's likely that he or she was consigned to the discarded "devotional" shelf.

A telling recent example: in L.A, they've named a public school "Monsenor Oscar Romero" to my surprise. He is lauded in murals and given as the public face of "the preferential option" for the poor. But who knows of another late 20c martyr, on 1997 against Muslims on Mindanao, Bishop Benjamin de Jesus? I only found out about him recently and certainly those who have fallen against modern Islam don't get the same general promotion as those who have been slain by right-wing militias and "fascist" paramilitaries in Latin America...

If anyone has suggestions on reading or sources on these issues, please share them. For instance, the Spanish Civil War rarely gets serious, sober coverage that is not anti-Nationalist, to fit the narrative that's won the ideological battle in classrooms, library shelves and websites.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
ANTIFA stage fake abduction and execution of priest at Cathedral in Santiago https://gloria.tv/post/z37pQQqGtDA72kFzhJX3JtP6u 

Really strange, and it makes me wonder how long before they do it for real.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • Bonaventure
Now isn't this really silly !

On Jan. 6 and 7, roughly 300,000 high school seniors were set to take the University Selection Test (PSU) – a prerequisite for applying to college in Chile. But hundreds of young people, led by ACES, a far-left students’ union for highschoolers, disrupted the test centers, blocking entrances, burning test papers and clashing with security forces. At least 82,000 students were unable to take one of the four tests that make up the PSU. ACES is promising to repeat the disruption on Jan. 27 and 28, when authorities plan to rerun the exams. In the meantime, students have occupied the offices of exam authorities, and protested in the streets, calling for an end to the PSU. https://time.com/5770308/chile-student-protests/

Here's an easy solution. Stay home and study instead of going to protests and you'll get higher test scores.
I read about this. Unfortunately, it is but yet another example of how the left has attacked educational institutions in Chile. Oftentimes student "protests" shut down universities for weeks, as a vocal minority disrupt classes to the point that the professors won't even show up. Each time I've visited Chile, I've seen certain college campuses with chairs/desks piled outside either blocking entrance into a building, or even onto the campus.