Old Time Radio: The Miracle of Fatima
I love "OTR" (Old Time Radio), and listen to it a lot. Came across this on my hard drive, and found it on Youtube. Thought someone might enjoy it. It's Lux Radio Theater's version of "The Miracle of Fatima":

P.S. And remember, girls, Lux Toilet Soap will keep you feeling fresh and dainty! 9 out of 10 stars of the silver screen use Lux Soap in their daily beauty regimen!

[Image: american-advertisement-for-lux-toilet-so...id89868194]
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 4 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • dahveed, JacafamalaRedux, jovan66102, Roger Buck
Vox,
there's a wealth of Old Time Radio to be found at archive.org. The contributors aren't as active as they were ten or fifteen years ago, but that which is there is sufficient to keep a person from listening to current radio (mostly garbage) for months at a time. Twelve years ago, when I left my previous employer, many days were spent listening to OTR on an old PowerBook while at work, provided I wasn't on the phone with a sales rep.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
(11-09-2019, 09:15 AM)dahveed Wrote: Vox,
there's a wealth of Old Time Radio to be found at archive.org. The contributors aren't as active as they were ten or fifteen years ago, but that which is there is sufficient to keep a person from listening to current radio (mostly garbage) for months at a time. Twelve years ago, when I left my previous employer, many days were spent listening to OTR on an old PowerBook while at work, provided I wasn't on the phone with a sales rep.

Nice! Thanks! You have any favorite shows? For me, CBSRMT, Suspense, Lights Out, the few "Price of Fears" out there, Dragnet, Quiet Please, Molle Mystery Theater, the Whistler, and the Hermit's Cave come to mind first. It's interesting to hear the old commercials, too -- and the way people used to talk. Some of the ones that came up after the Beatniks came around, or ones from the 1970s (CBSRMT) can be really hilarious for the slang. Here's a good Beantik-y one LOL:

The one that hooked me was this. WJSV was a radio station in Washington, D.C., and they recorded the entire airdate of September 21, 1939. FDR had called a special joint session of Congress, trying to talk them into repealing the Neutrality Act. The day starts with Arthur Godfrey, and lasts until 1:00 am or so. Includes all commercials, everything. It's wonderful. Toward the end of the night, there is a live big band feed from the Cleve Hotel, in Dayton, torn down in favor of a parking lot in '69. Somewhere at the Archive, a cleaned, very crisp version exists.

I love Fibber McGee and Molly, Lux Radio Theater, all three iterations of Nero Wolfe (my favorite American mystery novel series), Phillip Marlow, Rocky Jordan, Command Performance, Broadway Is My Beat, Burns & Allen, CBS Radio Mystery Theater (I listened to it as a kid). Somewhere or other, I have the NBC Blue network Christmas Special from, iirc, 1944 or '45. You know how mono, low bitrate sounds (like OTR MP3s) contain less data, occupy less space? My OTR folder is something like 56 gigabytes. I just like it a lot more than modern radio.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
(11-09-2019, 06:50 PM)dahveed Wrote: The one that hooked me was this. WJSV was a radio station in Washington, D.C., and they recorded the entire airdate of September 21, 1939. FDR had called a special joint session of Congress, trying to talk them into repealing the Neutrality Act. The day starts with Arthur Godfrey, and lasts until 1:00 am or so. Includes all commercials, everything. It's wonderful. Toward the end of the night, there is a live big band feed from the Cleve Hotel, in Dayton, torn down in favor of a parking lot in '69. Somewhere at the Archive, a cleaned, very crisp version exists.

Ohhh, interesting! Bookmarked!

Quote:I love Fibber McGee and Molly, Lux Radio Theater, all three iterations of Nero Wolfe (my favorite American mystery novel series), Phillip Marlow, Rocky Jordan, Command Performance, Broadway Is My Beat, Burns & Allen, CBS Radio Mystery Theater (I listened to it as a kid). Somewhere or other, I have the NBC Blue network Christmas Special from, iirc, 1944 or '45. You know how mono, low bitrate sounds (like OTR MP3s) contain less data, occupy less space? My OTR folder is something like 56 gigabytes. I just like it a lot more than modern radio.

You ever listen to the "Quiet Please" episode "The Thing on the Fourble Board"? It's the weirdest thing ever LOL

ETA: