What did Ben Shapiro mean by this?
Quote:“I think American-style Christianity is one of the best things to ever happen to civilization. Ever.”

https://twitter.com/josh_hammer/status/1...1373739008

Umm... guys...w-what if we're in the wrong for not embracing American-style Christianity?  Top Republicans like Ben Shapiro are NOT on our side...
(11-09-2019, 01:13 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote:
Quote:“I think American-style Christianity is one of the best things to ever happen to civilization. Ever.”

https://twitter.com/josh_hammer/status/1...1373739008

Umm... guys...w-what if we're in the wrong for not embracing American-style Christianity?  Top Republicans like Ben Shapiro are NOT on our side...

It's the Zionist dispensationalist types he loves -- folks who are chomping at the bit to send their sons to die for Israel. Remember this old article I've posted before?: https://www.fisheaters.com/jc-evangelicals.html
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Imperator Caesar Trump, Sacred Heart lover
(11-09-2019, 01:46 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: It's the Zionist dispensationalist types he loves -- folks who are chomping at the bit to send their sons to die for Israel. Remember this old article I've posted before?: https://www.fisheaters.com/jc-evangelicals.html

I cringe every time I drive past the local evangelical church and see the Israeli flag flying above that weird interdenominational Christian flag.  Is it true that the creation and promulgation of the Scofield Bible was funded by Jews?  I feel like I read that in a fairly mainstream place.
[-] The following 2 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight, Sacred Heart lover
(11-09-2019, 01:56 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I cringe every time I drive past the local evangelical church and see the Israeli flag flying above that weird interdenominational Christian flag.  Is it true that the creation and promulgation of the Scofield Bible was funded by Jews?  I feel like I read that in a fairly mainstream place.

Samuel Untermyer, one of the founders of the Federal Reserve, was behind it, from what I think I know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Untermyer
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Imperator Caesar Trump
Shapiro says a lot of good things, but he also says a lot of patently ridiculous things. I was reminded of this recently when he repeated his silly old arguments that rap music isn't actually music because music has to involve melody, harmony, and rhythm. He closed by inviting people to prove him wrong, as per usual. Except that plenty of musicians for years have directly responded to him and proven him wrong about this point. He just ignores them because he doesn't actually want to be proven wrong. He says it to cloak his words with a false air of objectivity. As much as I don't like rap or hip hop (and Shapiro doesn't seem to realize there's a difference), you can't argue that they aren't music based on an obviously insufficient concept of music. [/mini rant]

The "American-style Christianity" is just another example. What could that possibly mean? It really can mean anything because Christianity within America has always been very diverse and dynamic even if there have been major trends or denominations. And because such a statement could mean basically whatever you want it to mean, it's a fluffy rhetorical statement meant to make everyone in the audience feel good by agreeing with saccharine mush. It's about the feelings, not the facts. And we should remember, it's also meant to make his Christian subscribers forget his blasphemy against Our Lord, which came up once again. But clearly he doesn't seem to care about blasphemy since despite being someone who likes to tout his Jewish orthodoxy, he very frequently takes God's name in vain. Despite my hopes for his conversion, his interview with William Lane Craig really reveals that he is not emotionally willing to make such a large transition from Judaism into Christianity.

Nevertheless, I've found he's been good transition for those new to conservatism as they discover that there is a conservatism other than Enlightenment liberalism. You can see a good number of his followers are increasingly aware that not everything he says is gospel. Or should I say torah, or talmud?
I think I figured it out. By American-style Christianity, he meant Judeo-Christian values.
(11-09-2019, 02:20 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Samuel Untermyer, one of the founders of the Federal Reserve, was behind it, from what I think I know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Untermyer

The personal life section of Wikipedia is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural.

[Image: iiqztbnmqo2v65jyoi2i.jpg]
(11-09-2019, 04:01 PM)piscis Wrote: I think I figured it out. By American-style Christianity, he meant Judeo-Christian values.

Ah yes, that old chestnut.  I agree that Shapiro works as a gateway conservative, although some do get lost in the pro-Israel weeds and never find their way out.  I personally don't watch him though.  Orthodox Judaism is literally a hate group (unlike what is normally assigned that label), and I won't sit there and be preached to by someone who sees me as less than them; this is especially true on the myriad issues where he applies the double standard of "this for America, but THIS for Israel."
If I was going to describe "American Christian" I would also add in a bit of Calvinism, including pre-destination for some Protestants, and throw in some Manifest Destiny.  OK, a lot of Manifest Destiny.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • jovan66102
(11-09-2019, 08:41 PM)MaryTN Wrote: If I was going to describe "American Christian" I would also add in a bit of Calvinism, including pre-destination for some Protestants, and throw in some Manifest Destiny.  OK, a lot of Manifest Destiny.

Prosperity gospel and the heresy of Americanism (separation of church and state).  Those are the two defining features for me.  Actually that plus what Ben was really talking about: pro-Israel sentiment and a bizarre veneration of Jews.  Thinking about it more, the Jewish angle is probably the most distinctly "American" aspect of Christianity.  There is literally nowhere else in the world where that kind of insanity is prevalent.  Its foundations were laid early with the aforementioned Scofield Bible, and I think the fact that there are more Jews in the US then anywhere else in the world... including Israel I believe... has something to do with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight