Wash. Examiner: Traditional parishes grow even as Catholics in U.S. decline
Tongue 
Big if true...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/...m-declines

I like to imagine a shadowy homosexual at the USCCB reading this and then crumpling up the paper, tossing it at a trash can, and missing.
[-] The following 4 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, Fionnchu, Sacred Heart lover
(11-11-2019, 09:44 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I like to imagine a shadowy homosexual at the USCCB reading this and then crumpling up the paper, tossing it at a trash can, and missing.

Nah, it hits the rim, bounces back at him, and gives him a papercut. A nasty one.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 5 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, Fionnchu, jovan66102, piscis
The original article stated: "In Los Angeles, the fraternity did not have their own church until 2018, but Mass attendance over the past year doubled from 250 per Sunday to 500. The parish’s pastor, Fr. James Fryar, commented for the fraternity’s website that, after his parish added a fourth Mass on Sunday, “another 200 people came.”

I add that in addition to this FSSP parish of St. Vitus (named after the patron saint of actors, located technically in San Fernando, which is a separate small city inside the city of L.A.), which took over a (now already too small) Syro-Malabite Rite sanctuary, there is now also their humble, but renovated, mission chapel of San Felipe de Jesus serving about 50-60 (nearly all Spanish-speaking) congregants (including me) at one Low Mass on Sunday mornings only. It's in East Los Angeles. One of Fr. Fryar's two assistants celebrate this, alternately. I hope we can get weekday masses, but I think even three FSSP priests aren't enough to serve our vast Archdiocese. They run two of the four total sites offering a TLM each Sunday in all of L.A. County, population at least 10.5 million. And this in the nation's largest Archdiocese, where we need more priests and more TLMs.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(11-11-2019, 11:30 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Nah, it hits the rim, bounces back at him, and gives him a papercut. A nasty one.

He watches a bead a blood grow on his laceration, trickle down his finger, and splash on his newly pressed grey slacks.  His face reddens with frustration.  "Damn you, Lefebvre!" he shouts, swiping his arm across his desk, knocking over the Pachamama statue sitting on the corner.  

At that moment a Vatican envoy walks in and sees the scuffed statue on the floor.  He looks at the bishop with a furrowed brow and shakes his head slightly.

"It's not what it looks like!" the bishop says.

"I'm sure," says the envoy.  "I didn't realize this diocese was so close-minded..."  He turns around and leaves the office, making a barely audible comment about running out of red hats.

The bishop falls onto his knees in exasperation and lifts his hands in the air.  "LEFEBVREEEEEEEE!"
[-] The following 2 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, VoxClamantis
(11-12-2019, 12:28 AM)Fionnchu Wrote: The original article stated: "In Los Angeles, the fraternity did not have their own church until 2018, but Mass attendance over the past year doubled from 250 per Sunday to 500. The parish’s pastor, Fr. James Fryar, commented for the fraternity’s website that, after his parish added a fourth Mass on Sunday, “another 200 people came.”

I add that in addition to this FSSP parish of St. Vitus (named after the patron saint of actors, located technically in San Fernando, which is a separate small city inside the city of L.A.), which took over a (now already too small) Syro-Malabite Rite sanctuary, there is now also their humble, but renovated, mission chapel of San Felipe de Jesus serving about 50-60 (nearly all Spanish-speaking) congregants (including me) at one Low Mass on Sunday mornings only. It's in East Los Angeles. One of Fr. Fryar's two assistants celebrate this, alternately. I hope we can get weekday masses, but I think even three FSSP priests aren't enough to serve our vast Archdiocese. They run two of the four total sites offering a TLM each Sunday in all of L.A. County, population at least 10.5 million. And this in the nation's largest Archdiocese, where we need more priests and more TLMs.

It sounds like there's a lot of room for growth.  I live in a more suburban area, and I have trouble imagining ever getting a TLM within county lines.  It seems like it's so easy for the TLM to grow in cities where there are churches that dioceses are probably itching to get rid of and the population density makes it easy to attract a reasonable number at a time.

I plan on making a thread on this topic one day - how many people locally I would need to recruit before the SSPX could be convinced to come to town.  I live in a fairly conservative county in a liberal diocese with two Catholic churches that are far more liberal than the population they serve.  I feel like I could make it work.  Vox has some good advice on the main page of the site, but I need real specifics, as in "25 people would make it worth our while."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • Fionnchu
The local SSPX has added a 2nd Mass.  In Memphis! can you imagine...
Fr. Fryar used to serve at Christ the King in Sarasota, FL. His sermons are excellent. I wish the FSSP or ICKSP would come to Broward County, FL or somewhere in the Archdiocese of Miami.
(11-12-2019, 01:51 AM)PMaryTN Wrote: The local SSPX has added a 2nd Mass.  In Memphis! can you imagine...

No second Mass on Sundays at SSPX in Memphis, TN.
I'm a struggling Catholic. But articles like this blow my mind. My diocese has literally eradicated the TLM - not a single one left. And vocations are so low if it was not for imported clergy probably half the parishes would close.

Articles like this one, and this one: https://onepeterfive.com/arent-dioceses-...g-lincoln/

Why don't they look to areas that are succeeding for answers?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Markie Boy's post:
  • Fionnchu
(11-14-2019, 05:49 PM)Markie Boy Wrote: I'm a struggling Catholic.  But articles like this blow my mind.  My diocese has literally eradicated the TLM - not a single one left.  And vocations are so low if it was not for imported clergy probably half the parishes would close.

Articles like this one, and this one:  https://onepeterfive.com/arent-dioceses-...g-lincoln/

Why don't they look to areas that are succeeding for answers?

The short answer is that they're ideologues.  I can't account for the whole picture though.  It's something that continually fascinates me.  If you were to look at liberal sites like NCR, they host a wide range of excuses, but they sound like... well, excuses... and not something that people actually believe.  The data does not support them.  I've posted elsewhere that the most widely attested sociological fact of this century has been that liberalism destroys churches.  So at some level, the hierarchy is making the conscious decision to lose members in exchange for other benefits like broader acceptance among elites and getting glowing articles written about them in legacy media.  

There must be more to it, but I don't get it.  It's possible that they are all just that blinded by ideology, but I tend to believe decision makers are more cynical than that.  There have to be organizational principles that lead to such decisions.
[-] The following 2 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, Fionnchu