The Rich Young Ruler
Was the rich young ruler in St Luke 18:18-24 being called to a religious life? 

Quote: [18] And a certain ruler asked him, saying: Good master, what shall I do to possess everlasting life? [19] And Jesus said to him: Why dost thou call me good? None is good but God alone. [20] Thou knowest the commandments: Thou shalt not kill: Thou shalt not commit adultery: Thou shalt not steal: Thou shalt not bear false witness: Honour thy father and mother.

[21] Who said: All these things have I kept from my youth. [22] Which when Jesus had heard, he said to him: Yet one thing is wanting to thee: sell all whatever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. [23] He having heard these things, became sorrowful; for he was very rich. [24] And Jesus seeing him become sorrowful, said: How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
That is a common interpretation of that particular passage, though each passage of scripture has multiple lessons.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
I believe it also points to the struggle all have in their pursuit of Christ, namely, loving Him alone as Goodness Itself and refraining from making anything more readily attainable into an idol.
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ServusDei's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
The lesson I'm doing this Sunday uses the illustration from "My Jesus and I" I think it's page 32. The little boy is in the forrest at night ad there are two roads before him. The child Jesus is with him as well as his guardian angel. The caption reads, "I must choose between God and sin." Then I wanted to share the story of both Nicodemus and the Rich Young Ruler (via flannel board) and talk about their choices. 

Taylor Marshal did a segment this week where he talks about St Thomas and the compass. It gave me an idea....I wanted  to put a compass in my own pocket and show them then explain what a compass is, and then say that the little boy's compass was broken, but Our Lord has placed a very good and true compass within the Catholic Church. We can trust that compass to put us on the right path. Then talk about these two men in the bible and what they did or didn't do to follow Our Lord's compass which puts them on the right path....

any thoughts, ideas?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 2 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover, ServusDei
(11-13-2019, 06:16 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: That is a common interpretation of that particular passage, though each passage of scripture has multiple lessons.

I've always considered the passage to refer to the difficulty & resistance from the world we will find in following Christ and His truth. I've never considered that the rich young man could have rejected a call to the religious life.

(11-13-2019, 08:51 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: The lesson I'm doing this Sunday uses the illustration from "My Jesus and I" I think it's page 32. The little boy is in the forrest at night ad there are two roads before him. The child Jesus is with him as well as his guardian angel. The caption reads, "I must choose between God and sin." Then I wanted to share the story of both Nicodemus and the Rich Young Ruler (via flannel board) and talk about their choices. 

Taylor Marshal did a segment this week where he talks about St Thomas and the compass. It gave me an idea....I wanted  to put a compass in my own pocket and show them then explain what a compass is, and then say that the little boy's compass was broken, but Our Lord has placed a very good and true compass within the Catholic Church. We can trust that compass to put us on the right path. Then talk about these two men in the bible and what they did or didn't do to follow Our Lord's compass which puts them on the right path....

any thoughts, ideas?

I like that idea. Seems like it would be an easily understandable lesson for a younger age group.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(11-13-2019, 06:08 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Was the rich young ruler in St Luke 18:18-24 being called to a religious life? 

Quote: [18] And a certain ruler asked him, saying: Good master, what shall I do to possess everlasting life? [19] And Jesus said to him: Why dost thou call me good? None is good but God alone. [20] Thou knowest the commandments: Thou shalt not kill: Thou shalt not commit adultery: Thou shalt not steal: Thou shalt not bear false witness: Honour thy father and mother.

[21] Who said: All these things have I kept from my youth. [22] Which when Jesus had heard, he said to him: Yet one thing is wanting to thee: sell all whatever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. [23] He having heard these things, became sorrowful; for he was very rich. [24] And Jesus seeing him become sorrowful, said: How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God.
That verse always gave me a struggle. In effect, Jesus says the only way to follow him is to be religious life, as if husbands and wives cannot. I can't give up all my money to the poor, I have a family to raise.
--BobCatholic 
I'm praying for the souls in purgatory. Come, let's empty Purgatory with Jesus' help!

(11-13-2019, 06:08 PM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: Was the rich young ruler in St Luke 18:18-24 being called to a religious life? 

It is clear that Christ was calling him to follow Him like a disciple since He says to him "and come follow me". Monasteries for monks or nuns were established later on.