U.S. says Israeli settlements are no longer illegal
Wow.  Unreal.  Apparently it's kosher to build homes in disputed territory, despite international agreements.
Via the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50468025

Quote:US says Israeli settlements are no longer illegal

18 November 2019

The US has shifted its position on Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank, no longer viewing them as inconsistent with international law.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the status of the West Bank was for Israelis and Palestinians to negotiate.

Israel welcomed the move - a reversal of the US stance under President Donald Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama.
Settlements are communities established by Israel on land occupied in the 1967 Middle East war.

They have long been a source of dispute between Israel and the international community, and the Palestinians.

"After carefully studying all sides of the legal debate," Mr Pompeo told reporters, "the United States has concluded that "the establishment of Israeli civilian settlements in the West Bank is not, per se, inconsistent with international law".
"Calling the establishment of civilian settlements inconsistent with international law hasn't worked. It hasn't advanced the cause of peace," he added.

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said the US decision was a risk to "global stability, security, and peace" and said it threatened to replace international law with "the law of the jungle".

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the policy shift "rights a historical wrong", and called on other countries to do the same.

What is the Jewish settlements controversy?

The issue of Jewish settlements is one of the most contentious between Israel and the Palestinians.

About 600,000 Jews live in about 140 settlements built since Israel's occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem. The settlements are widely considered illegal under international law, though Israel has always disputed this.

The Palestinians have long called for the removal of all settlements, arguing that their presence on land they claim for a future independent Palestinian state makes it almost impossible to make such a state a reality.

Mr Pompeo said the decision would create the political space for a more likely resolution of the conflict. But that resolution is now more likely to be on Israel's terms, since it is by far the stronger party.
Dismissing the international legal prohibitions on Jewish settlements undermines the legal framework for the peace process, including the notion of Palestinian national rights and the principle of self-determination. It will almost certainly boost the movement to expand and annex the Jewish settlements. There has already been a sharp increase in settlement planning and construction since Mr Trump took office.
Palestinians will be dismayed, although not surprised. Palestinian analysts I have spoken with say the growth of Jewish settlements has essentially killed the potential for a viable two-state solution. They speak in terms of a war of position, saying that staying on the land and simply continuing their lives is a kind of non-violent resistance.

What US position is Pompeo overturning?
In 1978, the Jimmy Carter administration concluded that the establishment of civilian settlements was inconsistent with international law. In 1981, President Ronald Reagan disagreed with that conclusion, saying he did not believe the settlements were inherently illegal.
Since then, the US adopted a position of describing the settlements as "illegitimate" - though not "illegal" - and sheltering Israel from condemnatory resolutions on the issue at the United Nations.

However one of the last acts of the Obama administration, at the end of 2016, was to break with US practice by not vetoing a UN resolution that urged an end to illegal Israeli settlements.
President Trump's administration has displayed a much more tolerant attitude towards settlement activity than Mr Obama's.
Mr Pompeo said the Trump administration had studied all sides of the debate and agreed with Reagan.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
It's kind of like how some people say black people can't be racist. Israel can do no wrong.

(11-19-2019, 03:24 PM)Jeeter Wrote: Apparently it's kosher to build homes in disputed territory, despite international agreements.

I see what you did there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(11-19-2019, 03:43 PM)Paul Wrote: I see what you did there.

Big Grin

I couldn't resist. I get meshugana like that sometimes.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
President Kennedy's British ex-pat brother-in-law
Peter Lawford expounding on jews Exdous 1960

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
Just another step forward toward Greater Israel and the Third Temple, goys.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Therefore do I weep, and my eyes run down with water: because the comforter, the relief of my soul, is far from me: my children are desolate because the enemy hath prevailed.' - Lamentations 1:16

[Image: LaSaletteTears.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Some Guy
Exodus: best Steve McQueen flick ever 
Did they not have a war?  Did they not win that war?
Did they not control the territory?
Are they displacing people already there?
Frankly, I am a bit tired of the US telling the rest of the world how to live their lives.
The Palestinians are no saints.  Billions upon billions of dollars and the place is still a sh#*&%hole.  It will always be such.
(11-19-2019, 10:57 PM)MaryTN Wrote: Did they not have a war?  Did they not win that war?
Frankly, I am a bit tired of the US telling the rest of the world how to live their lives.
The Palestinians are no saints.  Billions upon billions of dollars and the place is still a sh#*&%hole.  It will always be such.

Ok boomer
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • Augustinian
(11-19-2019, 11:27 PM)Blind Horus Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:57 PM)MaryTN Wrote: Did they not have a war?  Did they not win that war?

Ok boomer

Is that a compliment or an insult?  I keep forgetting.   It is kind of like being called a cracker, doesn't bother me at all.
I just looked it up and you called me an old fart.
Yes, I am not politically correct. I am jaded. I am not a supporter of the New World Order/One World Government/The UN/The EU/ or any other holier than thou entity. I firmly believe that each country should handle their own business, yes, even Israel and Mexico. I have been watching Palestinians kill themselves and others since I was a little girl watching the 5 o'clock news. It is what they do. They have no desire to stop. They seem to like misery, poverty and burying babies. They literally celebrate violence. But their leaders are now filthy rich. How 'bout that? Follow the money, dear. Always follow the money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaryTN's post:
  • Blind Horus
(11-20-2019, 05:42 AM)MaryTN Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 11:27 PM)Blind Horus Wrote:

Ok boomer

Is that a compliment or an insult?  I keep forgetting.   It is kind of like being called a cracker, doesn't bother me at all.
I just looked it up and you called me an old fart.
Yes, I am not politically correct.  I am jaded.  I am not a supporter of the New World Order/One World Government/The UN/The EU/ or any other holier than thou entity.  I firmly believe that each country should handle their own business, yes, even Israel and Mexico.   I have been watching Palestinians kill themselves and others since I was a little girl watching the 5 o'clock news.  It is what they do.  They have no desire to stop.  They seem to like misery, poverty and burying babies.  They literally celebrate violence.   But their leaders are now filthy rich.  How 'bout that?  Follow the money, dear.  Always follow the money.

Mary wrote: Is that a compliment or an insult?  I keep forgetting.   It is kind of like being called a cracker, doesn't bother me at all.

It was a matter of fact, ma'am, and being a one myself, ma'am, am allowed to say.

Mary wrote: I just looked it up and you called me an old fart.

You've been red-pilled

Mary wrote: Yes, I am not politically correct. I am jaded. I am not a supporter of the New World Order/One World Government/The UN/The EU/ or any other holier than thou entity. I firmly believe that each country should handle their own business, yes, even Israel and Mexico. I have been watching Palestinians kill themselves and others since I was a little girl watching the 5 o'clock news. It is what they do. They have no desire to stop. They seem to like misery, poverty and burying babies. They literally celebrate violence. But their leaders are now filthy rich. How 'bout that? Follow the money, dear. Always follow the money.

Well, 5 o'clock newses will always be skewed...and as Benjamin Netanyahu said just the other day, 'you hurt us, we hurt you'. So between the News and the Netanyahus the poor buggers ain't got a chance.

Me personally wouldn't care to be a neighbor to Israel.

--------------

And now for my funny story about crackers...I once told the local meth dealer, (who was from a nice family in Marietta), that cracker referred to whip crackers, Georgia whip crackers in particular. He didnt say a thing only flashed a big cheesy Georgian grin. What would you expect from a dude who'd name a dog Hitler.

(Oh boy, now I done p.o.ed the nazis and the Netanyahus.)

PS I meant no offense to you, ma'am.