Chick-fil-A is trying to distract you
[Image: EJzfa4lWsAAkDGU?format=png&name=small]

How the Left so very much appreciates Chick-Fil-A's surrender. From CNN:

Chick-fil-A is trying to distract you

Opinion by Richard Morgan
Updated 5:21 PM ET, Tue November 19, 2019

(CNN)What do bigots become when they bite their tongues?

It's a trick question: bigotry is not just a matter of word or deed, but also of heart and mind. You can still be a bigot even though you have a black friend -- or even though you are black yourself. You can be a gay bigot, a fat bigot, a bigot with abs, a bigot with breasts, a young one, an old one or an immigrant bigot.

Bigotry habla español and every other language. Whoever you are, bigotry is within your grasp. That's the liability of being human. And, in this age when corporations are people, too, the way to know for sure that you are a bigot is to look in the mirror and ask yourself if Chick-fil-A is staring back at you.

Quote:... wrote the anti-Christian bigot at CNN.

After drawing backlash in previous years for funding homophobic charities and nonprofit organizations, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and The Salvation Army, the chicken sandwich spot announced on Monday that, as part of "a more focused giving approach to provide additional clarity and impact," it will focus on homelessness, hunger and education. That is not the change of heart it seems.

Quote:Not until they wave the flag of Globohomoville will Cuck-Fil-A maybe -- mayyyyybeeeee -- get a little respect from the powers that be.

[Image: EJyg16pXYAEODqz?format=png&name=small]

This would perhaps be more convincing if Dan Cathy, Chick-fil-A's CEO, acknowledged as wrong, and directly apologized for the comments that he made in 2012 about the company's belief and support of the "the biblical definition of the family unit." Instead, the company released a statement saying that "The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect -- regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender...Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena."

Quote:Believing in "the biblical [sic] definition of the family unit" is hate, and hate don't go 'round these parts.

Fun fact: there is no "policy debate" about gay marriage. There is settled law. Gay marriage has been enshrined as justice by the Supreme Court since 2015. It's hypocrisy to claim a commitment to "respect" and describe same-sex marriage, affirmed as legal in the Obergefell decision, as a "policy debate" in the same breath. With its new announcement, Chick-fil-A did the corporate charity equivalent of apologizing without ever saying sorry. It is sobriety disguised as therapy or healing. It is silence hoping to pass as reverence. It is tolerance doing its best impression of fellowship.

Quote:It's settled law, folks, and once something's settled, there's no changing it! Have you no respect for tradition?

It didn't mention any shift in its views on homosexuality, despite Covenant House International, the homeless charity that Chick-fil-A is associated with, having formed a partnership in 2014 with Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Fund, which fights queer homelessness.

Such unspokenness is the same faux diplomacy that allows comedian Kevin Hart to say "So what?" -- the queer version of "I don't see color" -- when rapper Lil Nas X told him he was gay during a September episode of HBO's "The Shop: Uninterrupted." Although Hart goes on to say that it's important to understand and acknowledge people's differences, he never says, for example, "I would love my son if he were gay." (Hart famously stepped down from hosting the 2019 Oscars after a backlash over homophobic jokes he'd made in the past, for which he -- eventually -- apologized.) This unspokenness is the kind of thing that lets Michael Bloomberg think he can control his own forgiveness with a simple "I was wrong" apology for years of defending and promoting racist policing without acknowledging that such an apology means so many fines, arrests, and convictions were also wrong. An apology centered on the apologizer is vain catharsis, not enlightened or humbled redemption.

Quote:They won't be done until every single person on the planet dresses up as a a sailor, construction worker, or Indian (nevermind the cultural appropriation) and does the Y.M.C.A. dance with pride, pride, PRIDE! Homosexual -- meh. GAY is what matters. Gay, gay, gay! Have a gay day! Good gay to you, good sir! Have yourself a really faggy Christmas! And a gay as Hell new year! Got your colorful flag yet??!!?

Fitting for a two-faced corporation, Chick-fil-A is biting two tongues at once: the one that refuses to acknowledge the right of anyone to love whomever they please, and the one that proudly mingles what the company calls in its 2020 Chick-fil-A Foundation priorities "staying true to its mission of nourishing the potential in every child" with a cowardice about the holiness of those of God's children who are also gay children.

Quote:"The right to love whomever" one pleases -- uh-huh. This is about rights, is it? And "love"? Surely this guy doesn't think anyone on earth gives a flying rat's ass about whom he gives it to at night. "Rights." Tsk.

However self-purported Christians act interpersonally, and however corporations act financially, every formally stated effort of selflessness, kindness, patience, gentleness, self-control -- all fruits of the Holy Spirit -- are rendered rancid and hollow when personal tenderness is superseded by structural toxicity.

Quote:Now he's telling us -- I repeat, HE is telling US -- about the fruits of the Holy Spirit (speaking of fruits...). (Hey, he forgot chastity! And I'm willing to bet that modesty means nothing to him.)

On Monday, Chick-fil-A said that the reason for this change was that its previous charitable commitments -- which the company neglected to note were rooted in homophobia -- wrapped up in 2018. The new announcement was for 2020's commitments. But what about them? What about 2019? Where does Chick-fil-A stand on LGBTQ rights?

Maybe Chick-fil-A was so serious with its soul-searching that it took 11 impassioned months to do this better thing. Or maybe it had something to do with a Chick-fil-A in Reading, England -- Britain's first location! -- which opened on October 10 and closed eight days later, unable to fulfill even its six-month pilot amid local scrutiny and protest for its bigotry. God only knows.

Quote:Shutting down a Christ-centered business -- must be that Holy Ghost fruit of benignity.

"Watch your words and hold your tongue," warns the Old Testament's Book of Proverbs. "You'll save yourself a lot of grief."

Quote:Oh, oh, oh, Mr. Kot-tair! I got one! "Nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God."

But Chick-fil-A has always been far more about the New Testament. In that tome -- in the Gospel of John -- Jesus is tested by being presented a woman accused of adultery and asked if she should be stoned in accordance with ancient biblical law. This is where Jesus said his famous line that only those without sin should cast stones.

Quote:Lot of interesting things in that chapter (chapter 8). Read what he calls a certain group of people in verse 44! Anyway, how is being against gay "marriage" and homosexual sex "casting stones"? 

But before that, instead of confronting the woman or her vigilantes, instead of being direct or candidly compassionate, Jesus turned away and drew in the sand. What he drew is lost to time, but the action had the effect of distracting the mob.

Such a lesson has not been lost on Chick-fil-A: distractions work. Can they get an amen?

Quote:
[Image: gayflag.jpg]

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the disco's last closing?
Whose bright pinks and bright blues through the gay pride parade,
O'er the drag queens we watched were so gallantly vogueing?
And the drag kings' short hair, guys in girls underwear,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that colorful banner yet wave
O'er the land of the queer and the home of the gay?

-- excuse me; I'm feeling a little verklempt.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
I saw this, and am quite disappointed in Chick-Feel-Gay. This, in my mind, is further proof that it was never about cake, "wedding" photographers, flowers, reception venues, etc. You can treat all employees and patrons respectfully, with no regard to gender or orientation, give food and comfort to victims, families, and responders after a gay nightclub is shot up, but if your CEO isn't on board with SS"M", then you're a bigot who must be punished.

(11-20-2019, 06:26 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: They won't be done until every single person on the planet dresses up as a a sailor, construction worker, or Indian (nevermind the cultural appropriation) and does the Y.M.C.A. dance with pride, pride, PRIDE!

What's wrong with Pride? I celebrate Pride all the time.

Charley, that is. Sticking tongue out at you

Quote:Oh, oh, oh, Mr. Kot-tair! I got one! "Nor the effeminate, nor liers with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor railers, nor extortioners, shall possess the kingdom of God."

Because "born that way." Wait, isn't there lots of complex evidence that alcoholism is genetically based? But we're not repealing laws limiting drinking ages or public intoxication. Isn't that technically discrimination based on a genetic condition?
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • Zedta
Quote:Vox:  It's settled law, folks, and once something's settled, there's no changing it! Have you no respect for tradition?

Yes, settled law and settled science...the tradition that endures...
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Zedta
It's hard to even be surprised anymore.

I keep looking to the heavens hoping for the Lord's glorious return each day. Save us from this valley of tears.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight, Zedta
Don't know why they surrendered. Even when the left was pissed they were selling record amounts of food and growing like crazy.

Maybe they are tired of being in the spot light?
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeeTheLight's post:
  • Zedta
I remember my old manager at Michaels telling me--"Christians aren't allowed to have pride! It's a sin!"

He was no "gay pride month" fanatic, BTW.
(11-20-2019, 11:27 AM)newenglandsun Wrote: I remember my old manager at Michaels telling me--"Christians aren't allowed to have pride! It's a sin!"

He was no "gay pride month" fanatic, BTW.

Hah, reminds me of the common phrase when someone says "you should be proud of yourself." I'm like, I'm happy about it, not sure I'd like to be proud.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • newenglandsun, Zedta
(11-20-2019, 11:19 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: Don't know why they surrendered. Even when the left was pissed they were selling record amounts of food and growing like crazy.

You summed it up nicely. When you are over the target is when you get the most flak.

Ask a bomber pilot.

Chick-fil-A in its effort to remain Christian and be socially acceptable to not-so-socially-acceptable groups has been taking a lot of flak because they've become an easy target and one that gives the shooters lots of points. They would have been better off not changing anything from the beginning. The flak would have subsided over time, but now the spotlights are all over them once more and the barrage(s) will ensue.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
(11-20-2019, 11:19 AM)SeeTheLight Wrote: Don't know why they surrendered. Even when the left was pissed they were selling record amounts of food and growing like crazy.

It's that comment that was on Vox's twitter yesterday: The execs want their middle class respectability.  They don't want to go to parties with other CEO's and be looked at as ignorant or homophobic.  They also want to expand into Europe.

It doesn't matter.  This isn't a fight that can be won because unfettered capitalism combined with democracy is a flawed, even evil system.  There's a reason Catholic teaching does not support such a setup.
[-] The following 3 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • HailGilbert, jovan66102, meandmyshadow
(11-20-2019, 02:08 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote:

It's that comment that was on Vox's twitter yesterday: The execs want their middle class respectability. They don't want to go to parties with other CEO's and be looked at as ignorant or homophobic. They also want to expand into Europe.

It doesn't matter. This isn't a fight that can be won because unfettered capitalism combined with democracy is a flawed, even evil system. There's a reason Catholic teaching does not support such a setup.

Then once again, I say "Long Live Distributism!" This is another reason why I'm thankful to God to have backed this up for all these years.
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton