News for Ohio Public Schools
One of my many first cousins, who is also a public school teacher, shared this article on facebook:

https://www.iflscience.com/policy/ohio-m...Ik5hb8EB-8

Thus she expressed her dismay, "Are you kidding? How can we compete if they don’t even have to understand what is taughtHuh?"

I have engaged her many times on the difference between party line, propaganda, and scientific conclusions.  She insists that if it is called "science" in the text book, then it is.  Her position is that students should have no personal discretion of judgment, but rather only learn to regurgitate what the teacher tells them.

It seems to me that if a teacher's goal is not to build on a foundation of personal discretion of judgment, then the school is about indoctrination, not learning.

Any thoughts?

.pdf   hb164_02_PH.pdf (Size: 97.12 KB / Downloads: 0)

yablabo,
did you read the bill? Here's the Ohio House's page for it. I'll attach the PDF if I can. So far as I can see, it hasn't yet been signed into law. Unless my tired eyes are just missing it, this does not look bad to me at all.

In the meantime, here is a quote.
"...Revised Code shall be collectively known as the "Ohio Student Religious Liberties Act of 2019."

(B) As used in sections 3320.01 to 3320.03 of the Revised Code, "religious expression" includes any of the following:

(1) Prayer;
(2) Religious gatherings, including but not limited to prayer groups, religious clubs, "see you at the pole" gatherings, or other religious gatherings;
(3) Distribution of written materials or literature of a religious nature;
(4) Any other activity of a religious nature, including wearing symbolic clothing or expression of a religious viewpoint, provided that the   activity is not obscene, vulgar, offensively lewd, or indecent.

Sec. 3320.02. (A) A student enrolled in a public school may engage in religious expression before, during, and after school hours in the same manner and to the same extent that a student is permitted to engage in secular activities or expression before, during, and after school hours.
          (B) A school district, community school established under Chapter 3314., STEM school established under Chapter 3326., or a college-preparatory boarding school established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall give the same access to school
facilities to students who wish to conduct a meeting for the purpose of engaging in religious expression as is given to
secular student groups, without regard to the content of a student's or group's expression.

Sec. 3320.03. No school district board of education,governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code, or board of trustees of a college-preparatory boarding school
established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the
completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated
using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not
penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dahveed's post:
  • yablabo
(11-20-2019, 08:13 PM)yablabo Wrote: It seems to me that if a teacher's goal is not to build on a foundation of personal discretion of judgment, then the school is about indoctrination, not learning.

If you send your child to a Catholic school, you'd expect him to be taught the faith. If it's a fundamentalist Baptist school, are you going to be surprised when the school teaches Genesis as literal? If it's a Jewish school, can you really get upset when the school fails to teach about Jesus?

Why would it be any different in schools run by the government? There's a reason public schools and compulsory attendance in the late 1800s, and that reason is Catholic schools. Public schools are about teaching what's good for the government, keeping the money flowing in (they don't get paid for absent students) and doing what's politically correct.

Get students believing that whatever the government tells them is correct, and get whatever policies the school board wants taught into the curriculum, and they're more likely to vote the way the politicians want them to. If man-made global cooling global warming climate change is settled science, then anyone who questions it is an idiot for questioning science. You don't want to be an idiot, do you? And you want to pass the test.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • antiquarian, yablabo
(11-20-2019, 09:55 PM)dahveed Wrote: yablabo,
did you read the bill? Here's the Ohio House's page for it. I'll attach the PDF if I can. So far as I can see, it hasn't yet been signed into law. Unless my tired eyes are just missing it, this does not look bad to me at all.

In the meantime, here is a quote.
"...Revised Code shall be collectively known as the "Ohio Student Religious Liberties Act of 2019."

(B) As used in sections 3320.01 to 3320.03 of the Revised Code, "religious expression" includes any of the following:

(1) Prayer;
(2) Religious gatherings, including but not limited to prayer groups, religious clubs, "see you at the pole" gatherings, or other religious gatherings;
(3) Distribution of written materials or literature of a religious nature;
(4) Any other activity of a religious nature, including wearing symbolic clothing or expression of a religious viewpoint, provided that the   activity is not obscene, vulgar, offensively lewd, or indecent.

Sec. 3320.02. (A) A student enrolled in a public school may engage in religious expression before, during, and after school hours in the same manner and to the same extent that a student is permitted to engage in secular activities or expression before, during, and after school hours.
          (B) A school district, community school established under Chapter 3314., STEM school established under Chapter 3326., or a college-preparatory boarding school established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall give the same access to school
facilities to students who wish to conduct a meeting for the purpose of engaging in religious expression as is given to
secular student groups, without regard to the content of a student's or group's expression.

Sec. 3320.03. No school district board of education,governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code, or board of trustees of a college-preparatory boarding school
established under Chapter 3328. of the Revised Code shall prohibit a student from engaging in religious expression in the
completion of homework, artwork, or other written or oral assignments. Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated
using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not
penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

Thank you for the response.

I'm familiar with the bill, yes.  The purpose was not to address the bill, but rather to address the response of my cousin to the article.  I did add some commentary around it, yes...but that was my purpose. Smile
(11-20-2019, 10:46 PM)Paul Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 08:13 PM)yablabo Wrote: It seems to me that if a teacher's goal is not to build on a foundation of personal discretion of judgment, then the school is about indoctrination, not learning.

If you send your child to a Catholic school, you'd expect him to be taught the faith. If it's a fundamentalist Baptist school, are you going to be surprised when the school teaches Genesis as literal? If it's a Jewish school, can you really get upset when the school fails to teach about Jesus?

Why would it be any different in schools run by the government? There's a reason public schools and compulsory attendance in the late 1800s, and that reason is Catholic schools. Public schools are about teaching what's good for the government, keeping the money flowing in (they don't get paid for absent students) and doing what's politically correct.

Get students believing that whatever the government tells them is correct, and get whatever policies the school board wants taught into the curriculum, and they're more likely to vote the way the politicians want them to. If man-made global cooling global warming climate change is settled science, then anyone who questions it is an idiot for questioning science. You don't want to be an idiot, do you? And you want to pass the test.

I hear you.  Thanks for the response. Smile
The article seems like an overreaction to an attempt to codify something (religious rights) that are in the Constitution.

And it's kind of hard to take a site seriously whose name is "I f***ing love science."
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • yablabo