Is it just me or is the search function not working?
Attempted forum search but received no results...anyone else experience the same ?
(11-24-2019, 01:09 AM)LionHippo Wrote: Attempted forum search but received no results...anyone else experience the same ?

Not for me either. And I've tried via different devices and browsers over the past month now.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
My experience is that it only works maybe 10%-20% of the time.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

If the search isn't working, from duckduckgo type "site:fisheaters.com/forums whateverYouWantToSearchFor" in the searchbox and then hit enter. That should do it.
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary
[-] The following 2 users Like ServusDei's post:
  • divinesilence80, Fionnchu
It's not you, its the duck tape holding the site together coming undone. The problem is the full text search engine powering the site went through a major upgrade and a lot of things changed. I haven't nailed down all the updates but I am working on it. Fish Eaters has a lot of working parts under the hood, and its a lot for 1 person. I've got ServusDei helping me out on some of the chores so hopefully we get this place working like oil again. Stay with us for now....
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 3 users Like divinesilence80's post:
  • Fionnchu, jovan66102, ServusDei
Ok......I think we have an improvement!
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 1 user Likes divinesilence80's post:
  • jovan66102
As a test I searched for a term that I have definitely used in a past post, Mit brennender Sorge, the title of Pope Pius XI's Encyclical against Nazism. I entered the term, my user name, and searched the whole forum.

Voila! Three threads returned. Unfortunately, I had not posted in any of them (one was back in the dark ages before I joined FE), and the term Mit brennender Sorge did not occur in any post in the three threads either.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(11-26-2019, 11:56 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: As a test I searched for a term that I have definitely used in a past post, Mit brennender Sorge, the title of Pope Pius XI's Encyclical against Nazism. I entered the term, my user name, and searched the whole forum.

Voila! Three threads returned. Unfortunately, I had not posted in any of them (one was back in the dark ages before I joined FE), and the term Mit brennender Sorge did not occur in any post in the three threads either.

That is probably an issue with the search program itself. Fish Eaters is over 1.5GB of data. Doing a full-text search of a data set that large well is wayyyy above my pay grade (and skill set to be honest). Also, the program has to take some shortcuts (like only match 2 words in series) because otherwise the indexer (the thing that makes searching possible) would burn out before producing anything useful. Sadly, we won't be able to do as good a job as either Google or Duckduckgo as SeverusDei suggested. We could probably do better than what you got, but again full-text searching algos aren't my specialty......

Edit: Looks like it worked fine for me.... What search box did you use?

(11-27-2019, 12:34 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote: Edit: Looks like it worked fine for me.... What search box did you use?

I clicked on the 'Search' link at the top of the page and entered my search in the 'Search by Keyword' box, with 'Search entire post', since it wasn't in the title of the post I'm hoping to find.

And for the record, I tried the search with Google and Startpage with no results. DuckDuckGo brought too many to take the time to look through, including threads I'm pretty sure the term was never used in, like one on the Office.

St Bernard of Clairvaux