St Faustina Warns us of Bergoglio's Heresies and Apostasy.
(11-25-2019, 11:18 PM)piscis Wrote: Speaking of St. Francis...

I really love that prayer of St. Francis of Assisi that goes "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace." Its broadly inclusive language even finds appeal among diverse faiths, encouraging service to others! Sebastian Temple's sensitive setting of it melts my heart every time. This is the best version: 

This has to be sarcasm.

I really love that prayer of St. Francis of Assisi that goes "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace." Its broadly inclusive language even finds appeal among diverse faiths, encouraging service to others! Sebastian Temple's sensitive setting of it melts my heart every time. This is the best version: 

Oh picis, you know how to channel the 1970s, don't you!

Brings back memories ... 

Also a bit of lunch in the back of the mouth.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, piscis
(11-25-2019, 09:44 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Being one of the senior folks here, I recommend to Vox and the moderators that this thread be deleted and some further restriction be put in place on these kind of topics, and on Josh's ability to stir people up here.

So we're not allowed to talk about it? Further restriction? You mean ban?

Acts 4:20
20 "for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.”

We're all adults here right? Can we not make up our own minds as to the weight and validity of such quotes? Why must they be banned as if they are dangerous? I haven't been spamming nor have I misled anyone as to their origins or content, I've included my bibliography.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
(11-26-2019, 04:11 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

Oh picis, you know how to channel the 1970s, don't you!

Brings back memories ... 

Also a bit of lunch in the back of the mouth.

You're welcome.  :D
(11-25-2019, 11:42 AM)boredoftheworld Wrote: josh9876541

Attributed to St Francis of Assisi of all the saints.

"For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world."

God Bless You
Tell me this isn't real. Tell me this hasn't been out there the whole time and that's it's just been made up.

edit: Except I'm reading it right now in an obvious scan of the original book from 1882. Are you kidding me?!

Attributed--so are "Preach the Gospel and if necessary use words," and that chestnut "Make Me a Channel of Your Peace." Neither of which were able to be verified as from St Francis. The second was a modern invention. A heap pf apocryphal "sayings" emanated as the Order battled over the vexed issue of evangelical poverty, communal "use" vs ownership of property, and the legitimacy of the radical and Spiritual and other factions within the friars who followed Francis in the next couple of centuries.

My copy of the 3 vol. "official" omnibus of the writings of and about Francis, the scholarly ed. (not an 1883 assembly but an academic, scholarly project of the Franciscans in the late 1990s, edited by friars Regis J. Armstrong, J.A. Wayne Hellmann, William J. Short) does not include it in the compendia of early documents. So, that 1883 passage did not make it into the "Canon."

P.S. Note Christopher Ferrara, a traditionalist, adds his own insight in the mid-Nov. 2017 online Remnant :

This quotation appears in Works of the Seraphic Father, St. Francis of Assisi, published in 1882 by the London-based Catholic publishing house R. Washbourne, 1882, pp. 248-250).  It is readily available as a Google book.  The same book, it must be noted, contains an appendix setting forth “Doubtful Works of Saint Francis,” of which the quotation is not part.  Thus, the publisher itself carefully distinguished the authentic prophecies of Saint Francis from what might be apocryphal. Moreover, in 1882 there could hardly have been any “radical traditionalist” motive to circulate phony quotations of the saint.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(11-25-2019, 06:38 PM)boredoftheworld Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:04 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:48 PM)boredoftheworld Wrote: The point I was trying and failing to make is the pedigree and authenticity of the prophecy is, to me, immaterial.

So if I decided to make up a story that fit the narrative and claimed it to be from St Columba or some other ancient saint, that's good enough?

Or, for that matter, St Malachy?
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(11-26-2019, 10:10 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: P.S. Note Christopher Ferrara, a traditionalist, adds his own insight in the mid-Nov. 2017 Remnant This quotation appears in Works of the Seraphic Father, St. Francis of Assisi, published in 1882 by the London-based Catholic publishing house R. Washbourne, 1882, pp. 248-250).  It is readily available as a Google book.  The same book, it must be noted, contains an appendix setting forth “Doubtful Works of Saint Francis,” of which the quotation is not part.  Thus, the publisher itself carefully distinguished the authentic prophecies of Saint Francis from what might be apocryphal. Moreover, in 1882 there could hardly have been any “radical traditionalist” motive to circulate phony quotations of the saint.

I'd point out that a later edition (I think the 1912) of the same book removed it. So again, well before any "radical traditionalist" motive existed it also just as easily "disappeared" and probably due to the questionable pedigree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Fionnchu
(11-26-2019, 10:18 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I'd point out that a later edition (I think the 1912) of the same book removed it. So again, well before any "radical traditionalist" motive existed it also just as easily "disappeared" and probably due to the questionable pedigree.

Thanks for this clarification. Public domain and Google add up to increase the amount of, well, unsubstantiated sources, don't they?
(11-26-2019, 10:20 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 10:18 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: I'd point out that a later edition (I think the 1912) of the same book removed it. So again, well before any "radical traditionalist" motive existed it also just as easily "disappeared" and probably due to the questionable pedigree.

Thanks for this clarification. Public domain and Google add up to increase the amount of, well, unsubstantiated sources, don't they?

The first version of the prophecy of Saint Francis appeared in a 17th century's book written in latin by a franciscan monk named Lucas Wadding "B.P. Francisci Assisiatis Opuscula" per Fr.Lucam Waddingum  MDCXXIII

The text of the prophecy begins on page 480 entitled "Prophetia XIV Magnum in Ecclesia schisma & tribulationem futuram"
This original book was scanned by GoogleBooks.
The page nr 480 is available on: https://books.google.fr/books?id=NHlMAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr#v=onepage&q=480&f=false

I hope this may help
[-] The following 2 users Like maso's post:
  • Fionnchu, josh987654321
Can anyone who reads Latin translate for us please? I tried google translate, found the word "destroyer" in it, but alas, can't translate the whole thing or even a full sentence.

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)