Patriarch of Constantinople: Catholic-Orthodox Re-Union now inevitable?
It began in 1054, when a Patriarch named Michael Caerularius (as documented in the Catholic Encyclopedia) in a brazenly schismatic act, had the Holy Eucharist trampled upon because it was Consecrated in Azyme or Unleavened Bread. Two General Councils, Lyons II and Florence, tried to end the schism. Is the end of this tragic schism finally in sight? Is the return of the Orthodox to Catholic Faith and Catholic Unity with the Throne of St. Peter now certain? It looks like it, from the below. Patriarch Bartholomew would only need to profess the Filioque, Immaculate Conception and other dogmas, and receive faculties from the Catholic Church to become the legitimately installed Catholic Patriarch of Constantinople. Thoughts? Link 

https://spzh.news/en/news/66683-glava-fa...katolikami

Papal and Collegial Consecration of Russia would speed up the process.

"Head of Phanar in Athos persuades monks to unite with Catholics

25 November 2019, 19:12  Elena Konstantinova 166774

Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople with the brethren of Athos at the service at the Notre Dame de Saint-Remy Abbey in Rochefort. Photo: Facebook

The Patriarch of Constantinople believes that only historical differences rather than dogmas separate Orthodoxy and Catholicism, hence their unity is inevitable.

Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople stated that there are only historical rather than dogmatic controversies between Orthodox Christians and Catholics. He said this during his last visit to the Holy Mount Athos.

In particular, according to the UOJ sources, during a visit to the Greek monastery Pantokrator, Patriarch Bartholomew, in the presence of the brethren and guests of the monastery, claimed that the unity of the Orthodox Church with Roman Catholics was inevitable.

In his opinion, the division that now exists between the Orthodox and Catholics has historical roots but is not in the field of dogma.

Patriarch Bartholomew is convinced that Catholics are “exactly the same Christians as we are”. He also emphasized that Pope Francis's gift of holy relics of St. Peter the Apostle is a testimony of good graces of the Catholic Church in relation to the Orthodox Church.

The UOJ sources said that during the speech of Patriarch Bartholomew, Archimandrite Gabriel, Abbot of Pantokrator monastery, Archimandrite Alexy, Abbot of Xenophontos monastery, Archimandrite Ephraim, Abbot of Vatopedi monastery, brothers of several monasteries and guests were present. Most of the brethren of monasteries after such words of the head of Phanar were perplexed, but none of those present protested to Patriarch Bartholomew. In addition, some monks, after the words of the head of Phanar that unity with the Catholics is inevitable, cried.

According to the eyewitnesses, numerous patriarchal guards did not allow anyone from the brethren to record the speech of Patriarch Bartholomew.

Earlier, the UOJ wrote that in Belgium, Patriarch Bartholomew and Abbot of Xenophontos prayed jointly with Catholics."
TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING: My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with your most precious Blood and your sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the intention of your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the sufferings of my entire life for ... https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/
[-] The following 2 users Like XavierSem's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight, The27thPsalm
Get ready for it....the heads of the Easterners on CAF who incessantly remind everyone about how unfair it is for the East, even though it's sooooo much better, are about to explode...
[-] The following 5 users Like Credidi Propter's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, CarmeliteKnight, Ioannes_L, XavierSem
I'm going to call it.

When Pat Bart inevitably comes home to Rome and brings some of the Eastern churchs with him, the Patriarch of Moscow will declare himself the new Ecumenical Patriarch just to continue to spite Constantinople and Rome. I really hope the Greek Church in my area comes home. They have gigantic wall sized icons of our LORD and His mother that alot of my fellow parishioners would absolutely love to see.
Vivat Jesu Rex!
Ave Maria!
Da pacem, Domine. In diebus nostris.

https://8kun.top/christian/index.html
[-] The following 3 users Like CarmeliteKnight's post:
  • Augustinian, Dominicana, XavierSem
The Patriarch of Constantinople attempted to call an ecumenical council recently and based on the results I'm going to pump the brakes on any plans for mass Orthodox/Catholic reunion. As noted above if Constantinople were to return to Rome, Moscow would simply step in and fill the void. One of the uncomfortable secrets of the Orthodox world is Greek and Russian Orthodox don't particularly like one another. A cynical person could reasonably claim that the two churches maintain communion because they know how bad it would look for Orthodoxy as a whole if its' two largest churches were in schism with each other.

The truth is the only way that the Catholic-Orthodox schism will be healed is for there to be such massive, bloody persecutions that the two parties will have to embrace each other if either one is to survive. I have a lot of sympathy for David Bentley Harts view that the two sides mutually reinforcing strengths will eventually be called on when the circumstances become dire enough. The mysticism of the Russian church (and Orthodoxy in general) would be a powerful weapon against the onslaught of secular post-modernism in the west. On the other hand, the ability to "strengthen the brethren" that Peter's successors wield is something that the Eastern Churches desperately need as their conflict with Islam grows more deadly.

The whole situation is a mess though, and I've long since ceased worrying about it beyond keeping reunion as a constant petition is my prayer life.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian
[-] The following 2 users Like MeanGene's post:
  • jovan66102, XavierSem
This isn't going to happen, Orthodox and Catholics are not "exactly the same," far from it. Any union on these grounds is a false union.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
I'll believe it when I see it. And even then, I probably won't think it will last given the Orthodox predilection of declaring everyone and their mother a schismatic for minor issues.[Image: f251d9a7f628ec0bf016bbcecbd89f58.jpg]
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8

[Image: 180px-SA_160-Jeremia_op_de_puinhopen_van_Jeruzalem.jpg]
These kinda stories pop up from time to time in cyberspace. It's not about to happen any time soon. The arguments are always based around some call for artificial unity, i,e You believe what you want to believe and we'll do the same and it'll mean we're in communion. And yes, their are a few forums online, where saying that can get you in trouble with the mods.
(11-27-2019, 12:36 PM)MeanGene Wrote: As noted above if Constantinople were to return to Rome, Moscow would simply step in and fill the void.
Moscow declared itself the 'Third Rome' when Constantinople ('Second Rome') fell to followers of the pædophile (may swine dung be upon him). They would be only too happy to do the same in ecclesiastical affairs if Bartholomew 'apostasises' by becoming Catholic.

And the great majority of the Slav Churches would happily follow them. It would just mean the end of 'Greek' Orthodoxy, not a reunion of West and East.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

As jovan said, after the downfall of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire to the 'religion of peace', Moscow declared itself the third Rome.
For them there would be no void.
Ite ad Ioseph
We just kept the feast of St Josaphat Kuntsevych, OSBM, a couple of weeks ago. He was an Orthodox who became Catholic. He was Archeparch of Polotsk in what is now Belarus. He was beaten to death by the Orthodox in Vitebsk, in the Catholic ruled Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, for his crime of 'apostasy'.

From my experience and research, attitudes amongst the Slavic Orthodox haven't changed all that much, except that they don't usually kill people.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'