Any sin in watching Scorsese’s “The Irishman”?
When it comes to watching movies, I’m sometimes a little confused as to what’s morally acceptable.
It seems that usually the response is that unless it’s an occasion of sin, it’s probably OK.
My concern is the casual blasphemy used by the characters in their ordinary conversation.
Any advice?
(11-27-2019, 09:25 AM)FultonFan Wrote: When it comes to watching movies, I’m sometimes a little confused as to what’s morally acceptable.
It seems that usually the response is that unless it’s an occasion of sin, it’s probably OK.
My concern is the casual blasphemy used by the characters in their ordinary conversation.
Any advice?

I highly recommend Vid Angel.  

You can use it with Netflix and Amazon and others and choose from a large number of filters for what you want to screen out.

My pastor said he uses it too. Smile
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
There's no one size fits all answer to this sort of thing. What messes with you might not mess with me. If something causes you to sin, cut it out of your life. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • MaryTN
Twenty years ago when my wife and I used to watch American television (we gave up because it was vapid) I developed the habit of closing my eyes and silently praying every time there was a sacrilegious use of God's name. Usually it was "May Almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins and lead us to everlasting life" or something equally brief. During an episode of Frasier they were stacking up so fast I missed most of the show. We all but gave up on entertainment TV after that.

HOWEVER...

Last night we sat down with our oldest daughter to watch "Ready or Not" which had what we considered a great premise. Woman marries into a rich family that hunts her on her wedding night and she turns the tables on them. I really enjoy that sort of plot, "Get Out" goes along those lines and even "The Game" has similar elements. Anyhow, near the end almost out of nowhere there's a full blown satanic human sacrifice IN LATIN with plausible wording and it just kept going. It was horrifying. I would rather have watched two hours of graphic sex scenes or paint drying or anything rather than the probable 2 minutes that nightmare went on. We obviously never would have watched it had we any idea what was going to happen. Hollywood does some pretty evil things but that took the cake. OK the bad guys lost (and exploded due to failing their evil master) but no, that was too far by far. I really don't have an excuse for why we didn't turn it off other than being stunned.

But Scorsese... he directed Last Temptation so he's been off our list for 30 years.
(11-27-2019, 09:25 AM)FultonFan Wrote: When it comes to watching movies, I’m sometimes a little confused as to what’s morally acceptable.
Any advice?

Because of the argument in this video and other reasons (getting over the desire to be entertained for instance), I would consider it to be a sin.
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of what shall I be afraid?"

"There is but one price at which souls are bought, and that is suffering united to My suffering on the cross. Pure love understands these words; carnal love will never understand them."
(11-27-2019, 11:02 AM)boredoftheworld Wrote: HOWEVER...

Last night we sat down with our oldest daughter to watch "Ready or Not" which had what we considered a great premise. Woman marries into a rich family that hunts her on her wedding night and she turns the tables on them. I really enjoy that sort of plot, "Get Out" goes along those lines and even "The Game" has similar elements. Anyhow, near the end almost out of nowhere there's a full blown satanic human sacrifice IN LATIN with plausible wording and it just kept going. It was horrifying. I would rather have watched two hours of graphic sex scenes or paint drying or anything rather than the probable 2 minutes that nightmare went on. We obviously never would have watched it had we any idea what was going to happen. Hollywood does some pretty evil things but that took the cake. OK the bad guys lost (and exploded due to failing their evil master) but no, that was too far by far. I really don't have an excuse for why we didn't turn it off other than being stunned.

As a big horror movie fan, sorry, but that sounds right up my alley.

I watched 'Midsommar' a month ago, and wow, that movie is just full-blown pagan cult horror with some intense occult symbology. It was a terrifying movie. 'The Void' is another one that was really good (visually), and has a lot of throwbacks to Carpenter's films like 'The Thing' and 'Prince of Darkness.'

Honestly, I'm in Vox's camp with this. It's almost impossible to avoid this sort of irreverence in all forms of entertainment, let alone just in regular conversations, so as long as you are not scandalized to commit sin, I don't see it as sinful on my part.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Fionnchu
FF-

Anytime you start a thread with the title, 'Any sin in  ...?' Stop and think! You need to find a good Confessor and work seriously on your scrupulosity. It is a serious spiritual illness!

Still praying every day that you overcome it.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian, Fionnchu, MagisterMusicae
(11-27-2019, 06:52 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: FF-

Anytime you start a thread with the title, 'Any sin in  ...?' Stop and think! You need to find a good Confessor and work seriously on your scrupulosity. It is a serious spiritual illness!

Still praying every day that you overcome it.

Thanks, Brother.