Books Defending Monarchy
I was wondering if anyone new of any books defending monarchy. I have read a few but am always on the look out for more.
Which ones have you already read?
Vivat Jesu Rex!
Ave Maria!
Da pacem, Domine. In diebus nostris.
I'm assuming everything available in English by Bp. Bossuet has already been read?
[Image: democracythegodthatfailed.jpg]
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 5 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, CarmeliteKnight, Imperator Caesar Trump, Tolkien1096
Lightbulb 

Christophe Buffin de Chosal (Forward by Charles A. Coulombe), The End of Democracy
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Tolkien1096
(11-29-2019, 12:13 PM)Tolkien1096 Wrote: I was wondering if anyone new of any books defending monarchy. I have read a few but am always on the look out for more.

Not sure if the distributist Daniel Schwindt's books and articles may fill the bill, but I trudged through some of his probably self-published and certainly poorly edited The Case Against the Modern World: A Crash Course in Traditionalist Thought and it started to praise the rule of kings and cabbages. I didn't get finish this compendium as this didactic prairie school firebrand seemed to look down on all of us city folk too dumb to go back to nature next week and live off the land, but I may try it again. Maybe I was ticked off by my commute, or by atavistic race-memories of my folks who did not fare so well under a Crown.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fionnchu's post:
  • Tolkien1096
Vox posted a great one. Menace of the Herd by Erik Ritter von Kuehnelt-Leddhin is one that's stuck with me for years, which is a really convincing attack on the "herd mentality" of populist politics. And has a particularly strong (Austrian) emphasis on Monarchy.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Tolkien1096
If you haven't already, De regno (on the Rule of Princes) by St Thomas Aquinas, and de Monarchia by Dante Alighieri. The latter is opposed to the Papal temporal power, being written in defence of the Imperial claims, but it's still a seminal text.

Oh, and how could I forget Policraticus, by John of Salisbury?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Tolkien1096
The Old Testament. Monarchy is ever present within it. The period of the Judges was not ideal.  Only problem is in order for it to work we need a somewhat unified culture and nation,  i.e. a shared language, ethnos and worldview. In the time of King David, pre Petrine Muscovy, early Byzantium or the height of the middle ages this wasn't hard,  but in the modern world with its multiculturalism, strict separation of Church/State and the disappearance of any unified ethnos I don't see how it could happen. 

Modernity doesn't lend itself easily to monarchy, in fact its principles render monarchy practically impossible to enact.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • Tolkien1096
(11-29-2019, 07:20 PM)CarmeliteKnight Wrote: Which ones have you already read?

I have read Democracy the God that failed
the end of democracy
and against democracy

https://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Economics-Politics-Perspectives-Democratic/dp/0765808684/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=democracy+the+god+that+failed&qid=1575124132&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/End-Democracy-Christophe-Buffin-Chosal-ebook/dp/B07649GNMT/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+end+of+democracy&qid=1575124147&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Against-Democracy-Preface-Jason-Brennan/dp/0691178496/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=against+democracy&qid=1575124163&sr=8-1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tolkien1096's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight