News Articles Against Christianity
Dear all,
I really need some help processing I have observed. I admit that I read more news than is spiritually healthy for me. Maybe its OCD......I don't know. Anyway, I am particularly drawn towards articles that deal with religious freedom issues or ones that point out hypocrisy in religion. Of course, its not really the articles that I care about because the media is obscenely biased so I expect nothing less from them. What I find disturbing though is the comments section. I cannot tell you how many commenters seem to dominate with the topic that either 1) Church's should be stripped of their tax exemption because they are political; 2) Christians are so unlike their Christ; 3) they have a special hatred for gays but Jesus loved everyone; 4) religion starts all wars; 5) no religion in the public square; or 6) SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE! Sometimes its self-professed "Christians" making these claims. The latest one was an article about Chik-Fil-A and its support for SPLC. There were thousands of comments lambasting Christians and our stance on gay marriage. I don't get what it is with the general public and their rabid defense of gays. They seem to hate Christians as much as they claim we hate gays all the while calling us the hypocrites! Irony much?

I know religion is counter-cultural and will never be popular but reading these comments is really aggravating. Most are uninformed yet they claim to be so "learned." Anyone else as bothered by this by me or is it just me?

DS80
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 5 users Like divinesilence80's post:
  • antiquarian, Fionnchu, Jeeter, josh987654321, Zedta
Part of a blog post I posted earlier today:

Who says there's no Culture War? My next three posts come from three different countries in the Anglosphere, the UK, the US, and Australia. They all represent facets of the battle between sanity, morality and civilisation and the insanity, immorality, and barbarism of the Culture of Death. 

This is no longer simply a matter of keeping our Faith out of the public square or making of it a 'private matter'. The Culture of Death wants to annihilate the Faith! Hilaire Belloc predicted this in 1938, when he wrote the final chapter of his excellent book, The Great Heresies, entitled 'The Modern Phase'.

Quote:The enemy which the Faith now has to meet, and which may be called "The Modern Attack," is a wholesale assault upon the fundamentals of the Faith-upon the very existence of the Faith. And the enemy now advancing against us is increasingly conscious of the fact that there can be no question of neutrality. The forces now opposed to the Faith design to destroy. The battle is henceforward engaged upon a definite line of cleavage, involving the survival or destruction of the Catholic Church. And all-not a portion-of its philosophy.

We know, of course, that the Catholic Church cannot be destroyed. But what we do not know is the extent of the area over which it will survive; its power of revival or the power of the enemy to push it further and further back on to its last defences until it may seem as though anti-Christ had come and the final issue was about to be decided. Of such moment is the struggle immediately before the world.

The truth is becoming every day so much more obvious that within a few years it will be universally admitted. I do not entitle the modern attack "anti-Christ"-though in my heart I believe that to be the true term for it: No, I do not give it that name because it would seem for the moment exaggerated. But the name doesn't matter. Whether we call it "The Modern Attack" or "anti-Christ" it is all one; there is a clear issue now joined between the retention of   Catholic morals, tradition, and authority on the one side, and the active effort to destroy them on the other. The modern attack will not tolerate us. It will attempt to destroy us. Nor can we tolerate it. We must attempt to destroy it as being the fully equipped and ardent enemy of the Truth by which men live. The duel is to the death.
He was, however, incorrect in his opinion of how soon Catholics would realise that it is a battle to the death. He wrote, 'The truth is becoming every day so much more obvious that within a few years it will be universally admitted.' Even today, over 70 years later, there are still people who refuse to admit the obvious.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 4 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian, Fionnchu, HailGilbert, Zedta
(12-01-2019, 01:02 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote: I know religion is counter-cultural and will never be popular but reading these comments is really aggravating. Most are uninformed yet they claim to be so "learned." Anyone else as bothered by this by me or is it just me?

DS80

The age we live in is, as our Pastor pointed out in his homily today, much as it was in the days before Christ came. In the theme of Advent, he was pointing out how the Jews were living in an occupied land, with foreigners guarding over them and how the were watchmen in the towns as well as among the shepherds. They were always on guard, everywhere, because there were enemies everywhere.

Things have changed little over the many centuries, just the tactics and methods of the enemy and the father of that enemy has remained the same: Satan.

He is the chief of disillusion, disinformation, lover of the 'half-truth and trickster most skilled. Why wouldn't such things be the characteristics of The Father of Lies?

What you point out seeing in society is the result of many years of his honing of his skills and he has taught many to mimic and adopt his techniques. Our world is subject to the greatest adaptation of his schemes. Everyone is subject to being influenced, even the elect. It is indeed a great delusion. the grand lie. People find themselves being quite satisfied with the half truth, with the incomplete fullness of truth, with what is convenient over what is worth looking for. Society is as deep as the observations of the pedestrian's view of what goes on in life, not to be bothered by details.

Sadly, you see the shortcomings of our brethren humans: Being human and not striving to being Divine. Divine has taken a backseat to media and the touchy-feely, quick gratification that has become the hallmark of our society; the give me the sugar and I'll worry about the meat later sorta way of life.

Sad times indeed. Only Christ can fix this, as He has before. I hope we don't have to wait too very long.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • antiquarian, josh987654321
What really gets me too is this "keep your religion private" thing. Telling people that have to worship in secret / behind closed doors or face the police power of the state is asinine. It has the same effect as banning religion outright. As much seeing PDAs between persons of the same-sex is putting off, neither nor any other religious person I know is calling for the gov't to outlaw PDAs between same-sex persons. These anti-religious folks are really unhinged and can't see the hypocrisy in their own platform while accusing us of being hypocrites.
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 2 users Like divinesilence80's post:
  • Fionnchu, jovan66102
Hate the sin, not the sinner is a concept that is lost on most people today. Partially thanks to Protestantism which, in many circles, actually does spread hatred towards gays, but also because people's sins have become a part of their very person, so an attack on the sin is deemed an attack on the person too.

I hate homosexuality, I hate transgenderism, but I DO NOT hate the people influenced by these sins. I feel nothing but sadness when I see transgenders, because they are under such affirmation by the wider society that their sin becomes a special protected class, and they are allowed to revel in their disorder.

Its sickening how the soul has been cast aside for the flesh. Valley of tears indeed.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 4 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • dahveed, josh987654321, jovan66102, Sacred Heart lover
(12-01-2019, 01:02 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote: I don't get what it is with the general public and their rabid defense of gays. They seem to hate Christians as much as they claim we hate gays all the while calling us the hypocrites! Irony much?

The same as it is with Ireland and their recent enthusiastic support of abortion. The real issue is hatred of Christianity, and it's never been about cake, or marriage, or toilets. That's not to say that everyone on the left necessarily holds their opinions out of hatred of Christianity - many of them probably don't understand the reasons for marriage, and have been raised with the idea that marriage is all about romantic and sexual love, and it's all about feeeeeeeelings, man. But those at the top pushing all this are anti-Christian, and those following along are implicitly so, even if they don't see it that way. The whole idea of freedom meaning the ability to do whatever you want is false, and right out of the Enlightenment, which really was the political version of the Reformation.

It's the same with illegal immigration and Islam. The right opposes both; the right is largely still Christian, even if in the US often Protestant, and, in Europe, more culturally Catholic than practising Catholic, but it's more than the left is, who are either openly and proudly secular and atheist, or try to change the Church to teach what they want. And since the right opposes illegal immigration, the left use the racism label they've had such success with over the past 50 years, and since Islam is opposed to Christianity, we have to ignore whatever bad things Muslims do and whatever the Koran says, while blaming whatever bad things Christians do on Christianity even if the Bible says don't do that.

Plus the general public watch the news on TV, and the media have been rabidly anti-Christian for a while now. They've been leftist for decades, but they don't even try to hide it anymore. Most people don't bother looking further, and if the media say such-and-such is racist, they go along with it. Of course, it helps when they get a few people to lose their jobs and publicly shamed, which makes others either change their minds and agree with the left, or at least shut up about it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Paul's post:
  • antiquarian, Fionnchu, HailGilbert, Jeeter, jovan66102
Christians have definitely become the whipping boy for the left.  To be honest, articles like you described irritate the **** out of me because they're so blatantly biased.

I work with a couple folks who think like the commenters you've described, and take them to task during breaks from time to time.  Funny, because they ALWAYS have the same comments you mentioned.  #1 is my personal favorite.

(12-01-2019, 01:02 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote: 1) Church's should be stripped of their tax exemption because they are political;

Me: Cool.  By that logic, shouldn't other non-profits be stripped of their tax exempt status as Planned Parenthood, HRC, GLAAD, etc are heavily involved in politicking?

Them: But that's different.  Because uh, uh, uh, uh...

Me (thinking it): dumbass.

Quote:2) Christians are so unlike their Christ;

Way to stereotype.  We are all sinners, in need of redemption, and we all fall short.  Show me how "all" Christians are unlike Christ.  Libs are so intolerant, unlike their professed love of tolerance.

Quote:3) they have a special hatred for gays but Jesus loved everyone;

Who hates gays?  Or anyone else, for that matter?  Certain actions are sinful and destructive.  Would you say that I hate alcoholics because I say they're called to sobriety?  Christ also said to go and sin no more, not "you're perfect the way you are."

Quote:4) religion starts all wars;

Yet the 200 million + murdered by atheist commies in the last 100 years were killed by people of faith?  

Quote:5) no religion in the public square; or

Cool.  No atheism, transgenderism, sodomy, birth control, or other liberal pet movements in the public square.  Especially in schools.  If I can't talk about my beliefs, why should you talk about yours?

Quote:6) SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!

See #5
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 4 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • antiquarian, divinesilence80, josh987654321, jovan66102
These ideas about Christianity are allowed to spread because of the many heretical and evil versions of Christianity that receive outsized attention in the press.  Churches like the United Church of Christ and the Episcopalians have declining memberships that place their numbers in the 500,000-900,000's.  Yet they are treated as the standard bearers of Christianity.  Thus, Evangelicals or Catholics who take a true/traditional stance on this issue are seen as outliers using a perversion of Christianity to justify hate.

This issue will get worse for Catholics as the Vatican continues to descend into apostasy.  There will be no way for orthodox Catholics to defend themselves when an outsider can point to the Pope and say "see your leader says otherwise."  

This is all by design of course.  Freemasons, Communists, and Jews, as well as a healthy dose of the barbaric/pagan id of the European ethos.  Think of the havoc the German intelligentsia has wrought on civilization.  Think of the fact that Episcopalianism was the religion of the American elite before atheism and outright Satanism.
[-] The following 2 users Like Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian, Sacred Heart lover
(12-02-2019, 10:06 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: These ideas about Christianity are allowed to spread because of the many heretical and evil versions of Christianity that receive outsized attention in the press.  Churches like the United Church of Christ and the Episcopalians have declining memberships that place their numbers in the 500,000-900,000's.  Yet they are treated as the standard bearers of Christianity.  Thus, Evangelicals or Catholics who take a true/traditional stance on this issue are seen as outliers using a perversion of Christianity to justify hate.

This issue will get worse for Catholics as the Vatican continues to descend into apostasy.  There will be no way for orthodox Catholics to defend themselves when an outsider can point to the Pope and say "see your leader says otherwise."  

This is all by design of course.  Freemasons, Communists, and Jews, as well as a healthy dose of the barbaric/pagan id of the European ethos.  Think of the havoc the German intelligentsia has wrought on civilization.  Think of the fact that Episcopalianism was the religion of the American elite before atheism and outright Satanism.

Historic attendance at the Bohemian Grove and membership to the Hellfire Club, and the fact that about 90% of our Presidents have been Freemasons says to me that "Episcopalian" was just a front.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
I'm not that bothered or surprised by the comments from the uneducated herd against Christianity. It's taken me years and years to barely get a decent grasp on the depths of what REAL patristic Christianity is all about and gaining that knowledge was a real struggle on many levels. 

Real serious Christian history, philosophy and theology are very difficult to grasp and require a lot of grace,  desire and mental aptitude to unravel. True knowledge of Christianity is very hard to come by and you need a certain type of grit and tenacity to acquire it. The herd simply doesn't know better,  and if we look around and are honest how many priests and hierarchs really know much better either? Very few. 

To be a Christian is in some respects to follow in the footsteps of the OT prophets and Christ Himself. None of them were loved or understood; all of them had to go deeply against the grain and stand alone. How should we expect anything different in our own journey? 

Honestly these days I don't read anything thats not sympathetic to my own views and I'm much more at peace over my decision.  Christian life is hard enough as it is without the added stress of reading the uneducated masses utterly stupid and ignorant jibes at Christianity.  The times where I've stumbled across something sometimes ill just shake my head and think,  "wow,  this is really what people think? How shallow and dumb!"

In my own journey over the years I came to realize that anyone who TRULY understands the theology of the early Church and who Christ is could never, ever have the sort of idiot opinions that many of these article authors and commentators have.  Like Jesus said,  "forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do".

If we are to persevere as Christians we must have something of the spirit of the prophets and and the same willingness to truly stand alone even if everyone seems to condemn us.  Just like in OT times this was not the calling for the masses.  It's the same today.  "Many are called,  few are chosen". If you have a modicum of faith in today's world then keep that small steady flame alive and protect it and be thankful.  It's not from nature alone that you have it.  It can only come from grace.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 2 users Like formerbuddhist's post:
  • Fionnchu, Sacred Heart lover