About Guardian Angels...
+PAX+

When we talk about praying to one’s Guardian Angel, do we refer only to the 3 Holy Angels approved in the Catholic Church - i.e. Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael or are there many other angels who we’re not aware of who could be our Guardian Angel ?

Also, what are angels considered to be - male / female / neutral ?

Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndreasIosephus's post:
  • Augustinian
Tradition teaches that there are 9 choirs of angels (in descending order); the seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, powers, virtues, principalities, archangels and Angel's. The seraphim are supposed to be closest to the Throne of God and the angels being closer to man.

Every individual person is given their own guardian Angel (the lowest choir) to guide and protect them throughout their lives. We do not know their names, and it is not good to give them a name nor ask for it, but it is highly recommended to pray often to them for guidance in all of your daily acts and prayers. They are there to help you and are charged only with you.

As for Sts Michael, Raphael and Gabriel (all archangels), and also Satan (supposed by St Thomas to have been a cherubim) are the only named angels that have been revealed in Scripture. They serve special roles in Divine Providence, with St Michael serving as General of the Heavenly Host of Angels.

There are billions of angels, we just have not been given their names. Although we do know the names of thousands of demons thanks to exorcists.There are others in other Christian traditions, like Uriel and Raziel, but they are not in what the Church accepts as canonical Scripture.

Angels, as bodiless intellects, do not have gender, but they tend to present as male, much like the Father does. Oftentimes appearing as adolescent boys or young men to the saints.

Further reading: https://www.fisheaters.com/praeternaturalworld1.html

Also, Fr. Ripperger has some great talks on the preternatural spirits.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 3 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • antiquarian, HailGilbert, Imperator Caesar Trump
See this sub-section of the FE site to learn about angels, demons, etc.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Augustinian, HailGilbert
(12-03-2019, 02:11 PM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: +PAX+

When we talk about praying to one’s Guardian Angel, do we refer only to the 3 Holy Angels approved in the Catholic Church - i.e. Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael or are there many other angels who we’re not aware of who could be our Guardian Angel ?

Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your guardian angel is the angel that God assigned to you after He made you. The gender of the Angel does not matter. 

The archangels that you posted are just saints in heaven. We only know their names because they were revealed in Scripture. 

Video related is a nice sermon by Fr. Chad Ripperger about your guardian angel

Vivat Jesu Rex!
Ave Maria!
Da pacem, Domine. In diebus nostris.
(12-03-2019, 02:11 PM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: +PAX+

Check out Bp. Athanasius Schneider in chapter 18 of his new interviews with Diane Mantegna, Christus Vincit. He goes into some detail about angels, guardian in particular. He makes the intriguing observation that each guardian angel has been waiting for a chance to get demoted, so as to assist an individual human. This means that one angel is designated to be "ours" from all eternity, somehow. And the Bishop avers that while he gave his angel a (nick?)name, that this is not to be ever revealed publicly.

I admit (and I admit limited knowledge) that this is the first time I've encountered a discussion on angels in a recent Catholic book.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(12-03-2019, 02:22 PM)Augustinian Wrote: Angels, as bodiless intellects, do not have gender, but they tend to present as male, much like the Father does. Oftentimes appearing as adolescent boys or young men to the saints.

Angels don't have gender because there's no such thing. Unless you're speaking grammatically, where angelus is masculine in Latin. Also in Greek, where it means 'messenger', and where Latin borrowed the word from. English, of course, no longer has gender, apart from a few pronouns.

They don't have a sex for the reason you mentioned, and because they don't reproduce.

We shouldn't be using the word 'gender' to mean 'sex', because it supports the idea that sex and gender are two different things, and that 'gender' is something that can changed, when, really, it doesn't exist.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • antiquarian, jovan66102
(12-03-2019, 08:20 PM)Paul Wrote: PaulWe shouldn't be using the word 'gender' to mean 'sex', because it supports the idea that sex and gender are two different things, and that 'gender' is something that can changed, when, really, it doesn't exist.

We need to be careful of our language about many things, pronouns, honourifics, etc. And in theology! Here is an exchange I had yesterday with a friend on Facebook regarding the Houston Black Mass and the possibilities of blasphemy from Communion in the hand:

• [Image: 67836711_2921769641228608_87042193080597...e=5E845FB3] Thank God we in the Byzantine Rite of the Catholic Church can NEVER receive in the hand. Bread and wine are commingled in Chalice and given on a spoon.
    • [Image: 75474197_10157750128458044_6910400502916...e=5E8996A6]
       I would correct only one thing. 'Bread and wine' are not commingled, the Most Pure Body and Most
      Precious Blood of Christ are.
  • [Image: 67836711_2921769641228608_87042193080597...e=5E7DDFEE]
    Yes, true. But I try to keep it simple for some people.

• [Image: 75474197_10157750128458044_6910400502916...e=5E8996A6]
    William, I'm sorry, but 'keeping it simple' is one of the reasons that 66% of American Catholics either don't know or don't believe that the Holy Eucharist is Christ, present in His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 8 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian, Augustinian, CarmeliteKnight, HailGilbert, MiserereMeiDeus, MyLady, Paul, piscis