Univ. Cal. contracts + Catholic hospitals="religious limits" staff/med students
Help me out, integralistes and advocates of the Kingship of the Sacred Heart. I've read Brian McCall, Roger Buck, and Michael Davis on the imperative to revive a Catholic-infused government within the American republic (which I understand Timothy Gordon's also written about recently.) But I remain frankly skeptical that these fervent appeals and natural law arguments will sway "the real world." My question remains that of my "progressive" family, friends, and colleagues here in blue-state L.A./Calif.

How can, say a million, traditional Catholics win over 330 million (at least, given census debates and those here "without permission"), the vast majority who are opposed for various reasons or emotions to any restoration of "Rome [sic] Rule"?

What I raise here is pragmatism, not idealism; as at my Thanksgiving table I was the 1-in-16 not enamored with our 44th President as "the greatest one in our lifetime," to quote my dear wife, I want to ask: if this is a case study in Catholic moral principles being advanced within our government and my state's taxpayer-funded health care, consider the backlash and the odds. I wonder how those who articulate a full-on restoration of Christian ethics as binding on all around us will judge the longterm "success" of this initiative legally and practically, considering the opposition such a partnership generates around me; I have family who are "card-carrying ACLU members" and who donate to Planned Parenthood, after all.

Here's my local liberal paper. Business columnist Michael Hiltzik's been reporting awhile about how the Golden State's "religious restrictions on healthcare have been developing into a public health crisis of the first order." Sorry even this selective editing is so dang long, but in the interests of fairness and clarity, I paste excerpts from the Nov. 21st 2019 L.A. Times, as it may be behind a paywall:  UC contracts with Catholic hospitals allow religious limits on medical staff, students

Contracts with the Catholic-run hospital chain Dignity "typically require UC personnel and student trainees to comply with Catholic Church strictures on healthcare while practicing or doing field training at Dignity facilities."

"The most restrictive church rules are specified by the Ethical and Religious Directives on Catholic Health Care, known as the ERDs, a document issued by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops that bars almost all abortions, sterilization procedures such as tubal ligations, and provision of contraceptives. The directives are in place at many of the hospitals named in the UC contracts, even though UC is prohibited by the state Constitution from allowing religious considerations to govern its operations."

Via the ACLU's Public Records Act request, documents challenge the deal between UC San Francisco (the medical-only U of Cal campus) and a Dignity affiliation. The plan was abandoned last May after "public uproar and professional rebellion at the school."

Now, "the ACLU is calling for the termination of any contracts that 'impose religious restrictions on care.”'
[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...pitals.jpg]

"One in six U.S. hospital beds is subject to Catholic healthcare restrictions, as this 2016 map shows; in California, the share is more than one in six. (ACLU)" [caption to graphic]

"Any attempt to accept religious judgments on healthcare in future contracts might well run into a buzzsaw at the UC Board of Regents. 'The ERDs are problematic,' says board Chairman John A. Pérez, a former Assembly speaker, 'because they’re not based on science, or medical evidence, or the values and obligations of the university as a public entity.'”

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...prohib.jpg]
'“Prohibited Procedures' for UCLA physicians working in some Dignity Health hospital ERs including abortions and some treatments for victims of sexual assault. (University of California)" [caption to graphic]

The article (and I encourage you to read the entire text, from which I am cutting and pasting bits only) goes on to inform:

"No cases have yet emerged of faculty or students removed from programs for violating the church rules. But two lawsuits are pending in California state courts asserting discriminatory treatment by Dignity hospitals acting in compliance with the directives.

One was brought by a patient whose hysterectomy was abruptly canceled when hospital administrators learned he was transgender, and the other by a patient who was refused a tubal ligation that was to be performed in conjunction with a Caesarean delivery, even though performing both procedures at the same time is standard medical practice to protect the health of the patient.

It’s impossible to overstate how drastically these contracts depart from California law and public policy. The state Constitution explicitly dictates that the university 'shall be entirely independent of all political or sectarian influence ... in the administration of its affairs.' The Constitution warns against discrimination on the basis of 'race, religion, ethnic heritage or sex.'

California also has been at the forefront of the battle against the imposition of religious limitations on healthcare. Just Tuesday, in a lawsuit brought by the state, San Francisco and Santa Clara County, federal Judge William Alsup of San Francisco blocked President Trump’s so-called conscience order, which vastly expanded the rights of doctors, nurses, even ambulance drivers and hospital receptionists to refuse to participate in procedures such as abortions by claiming moral objections. (On Nov. 6, a New York federal judge, ruling on other lawsuits, also blocked the order.)

In the California cases, the state and its fellow plaintiffs had called Trump’s rule a 'coercive ‘'gun to the head"' that would force hospitals, other healthcare providers and their patients to 'adhere to the religious beliefs and practices of every employee.'

Catholic Church restrictions on medical practice have increasingly become an issue nationwide as Catholic hospitals expand their footprint coast to coast through acquisitions and affiliations, reaching the point where 1 in 6 U.S. hospital beds is subject to the church directives. Dignity is now the fifth-largest hospital chain in the country and the largest not-for-profit system in California.

Officials at many of the UC campuses assert they have little choice but to forge clinical and teaching partnerships with Dignity facilities because of their own space constraints. 'Even with UC’s scale, access to our care at UC facilities is limited by capacity and geography,' Jacqueline Carr, a spokeswoman for UC San Diego, told me by email. 'Relationships with other healthcare organizations allow us to care for more patients ... and provide training to tomorrow’s health professionals.'

Yet the contracts provide for no departure from practice limitations derived from the ERDs or the church’s Statement of Common Values, a slightly less restrictive document in force at some Dignity facilities.

A February 2019 contract through which UCLA physicians provide emergency services at Dignity’s California Hospital Medical Center in downtown Los Angeles, for example, specifies nine 'prohibited procedures,' including abortions, even for medically dangerous extrauterine pregnancies; physician-assisted suicide or 'aid in dying'; 'promotion of contraceptive practices'; and treatments for victims of sexual assault that aim at the “removal, destruction or interference with implantation” of a fertilized egg.

The ERDs go further than merely prohibiting certain procedures. The directives dictate that in 'any kind of collaboration, whatever comes under the control of the Catholic institution — whether by acquisition, governance, or management — must be operated in full accord with the moral teaching of the Catholic Church, including these Directives.'

They forbid administrators and employees to 'manage, carry out, assist in carrying out, make its facilities available for, make referrals for, or benefit from the revenue generated by immoral procedures' such as abortions and sterilizations.

In other words, by collaborating with Dignity and other Catholic institutions, UC is making itself complicit with much broader constraints on the ability of its professionals and students to serve themselves and their patients in accordance with science- and medicine-based healthcare. Those are the values that the University of California must stand up for, uncompromisingly."

P.S. This integrates with the "News Articles against Christianity" thread started by "Divine Silence" a few days before. But as I'd been meaning to post this separately for maximum visibility, and as the medical topic itself merits discussion, I start anew.
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(12-03-2019, 06:05 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: Help me out, integralistes and advocates of the Kingship of the Sacred Heart. I've read Brian McCall, Roger Buck, and Michael Davis on the imperative to revive a Catholic-infused government within the American republic (which I understand Timothy Gordon's also written about recently.)
Thank you! I knew Michael Davies personally, I've chatted by voice messaging with Roger Buck, but somehow, I'd never heard of Brian McCall! After reading your reference to him, I immediately went to Kindle and found his To Build the City of God: Living as Catholics in a Secular Age. And it turned out to be Kindle Unlimited, so I got it for 'nothing' (except my monthly subscription fee). I've already started reading it and it looks like it's dynamite!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Augustinian, Fionnchu
(12-04-2019, 12:13 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 06:05 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: Help me out, integralistes and advocates of the Kingship of the Sacred Heart. I've read Brian McCall, Roger Buck, and Michael Davis on the imperative to revive a Catholic-infused government within the American republic (which I understand Timothy Gordon's also written about recently.)
Thank you! I knew Michael Davies personally, I've chatted by voice messaging with Roger Buck, but somehow, I'd never heard of Brian McCall! After reading your reference to him, I immediately went to Kindle and found his To Build the City of God: Living as Catholics in a Secular Age. And it turned out to be Kindle Unlimited, so I got it for 'nothing' (except my monthly subscription fee). I've already started reading it and it looks like it's dynamite!

Yes, I get the (intentionally hard to use and occluded) Kindle Owners Lending Library, which is a sort of "K Unltd. Book Club of the Month" and that allows me one book a month for "free." I have read a few excellent Angelico Press titles recently. Only a few are there, not their whole catalogue, but a great find was Abp Schneider's Christus Vincit, for instance. I note there can be a lag between Kindle versions and the publisher's printings, as for instance Robert Cardinal Sarah's "The Day is Now Far Spent" came out on K much later than at Ignatius P. For some reason, the KOLL selection is spotty and inconsistent, with the majority as self-published dreck, but note, such as Sire's "Phoenix" and Ferrara+Woods' "Great Facade" are there. Unfortunately, KOLL is impossible to search realistically. Any recommendations from KU for trads are welcome!
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(12-04-2019, 07:01 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: Unfortunately, KOLL is impossible to search realistically. Any recommendations from KU for trads are welcome!

I will keep an eye out!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Fionnchu
(12-03-2019, 06:05 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: How can, say a million, traditional Catholics win over 330 million (at least, given census debates and those here "without permission"), the vast majority who are opposed for various reasons or emotions to any restoration of "Rome [sic] Rule"? 

Well, there's balkanization, but that doesn't work, much like the Benedict Option.  I hate when people suggest either because it's not like the social engineers will EVER let all those suburban whites retreat into their churches and farmland.  Hell, they've already done quite the number on Catholics as a whole and Evangelicals, and they were only kinda trying.  They are only barely tolerant of traditionalists as it is - I've mentioned this many times before, but you can already see the bullet of anti-Semitism in the chamber, ready to be fired by the media or the Vatican itself if they ever decide traditionalism is getting too popular or unwieldy or if the Church fails to see a use for us.

The only way forward I can honestly see is to argue extremely dishonestly.  Create whatever nonsense argument you can to justify the Catholic position wherever possible using only leftist ideals and logic.  We simply have to use golems to win battles here and there.  Muslims and Orthodox Jews are the only ones who can get their way on religious grounds.  
Long-term, the only way for traditionalists to have influence in the Church, let alone society as a whole, is with money.  That's arguably why we have the Vatican's attention and begrudging approval where we do currently.  We need to make more of it though.  Every single traditionalist Catholic should be raising their children to be doctors and lawyers and engineers and finance creeps.  They need to send them to Ivy Leagues.  We need to protect each other and help each other, forming little professional groups and belonging to country clubs.  The more elite we become, and the more we multiply, the more the Vatican will be forced to give us their attention.  

I realize this involves holding our noses and diving into the worst parts of society, pretending like we aren't who we actually are and dealing with a lot of liberal/evil stuff.  But guess what?  That's what the Freemasons did to Christian society over many centuries to get what they wanted.  Traditional Catholicism and the Latin Mass can be our secret society and mysterious rituals.  But if traditionalist are content with being lower middle class or working class and ghettoizing their families in traditionalist schools or home schools, we will never affect anything and the social engineers will still catch up with us in a couple more generations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • Fionnchu
(12-06-2019, 04:06 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Well, there's balkanization, but that doesn't work, much like the Benedict Option.  I hate when people suggest either because it's not like the social engineers will EVER let all those suburban whites retreat into their churches and farmland.  Hell, they've already done quite the number on Catholics as a whole and Evangelicals, and they were only kinda trying.  They are only barely tolerant of traditionalists as it is - I've mentioned this many times before, but you can already see the bullet of anti-Semitism in the chamber, ready to be fired by the media or the Vatican itself if they ever decide traditionalism is getting too popular or unwieldy or if the Church fails to see a use for us.
Well if they continue to follow the blueprint of Brave New World, they will have separate reservations for those who don't go along.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Fionnchu
Here, Vee shows us our future choices, big brother city or the "cry freedom" ghettos:

If we stay in the cities we may be locked out or locked in for Catholic infractions:

Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
[-] The following 2 users Like Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • Fionnchu, Imperator Caesar Trump
Yikes... But see what I mean about the social engineers coming for you regardless? Don't think they won't have google overseeing your home school lessons to fight lgbt bigotry in 10 years. Maybe it will be mandatory? Gotta protect the kids from toxic heterosexuality after all.
(12-06-2019, 04:06 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 06:05 PM)Fionnchu Wrote: How can, say a million, traditional Catholics win over 330 million (at least, given census debates and those here "without permission"), the vast majority who are opposed for various reasons or emotions to any restoration of "Rome [sic] Rule"? 

The only way forward I can honestly see is to argue extremely dishonestly.  Create whatever nonsense argument you can to justify the Catholic position wherever possible using only leftist ideals and logic.  We simply have to use golems to win battles here and there.  Muslims and Orthodox Jews are the only ones who can get their way on religious grounds. 
I reckon that a lot of traditionalist children, who tend to be homeschooled or educated at of course "academies" at a disproportionate (ah, that triggering word beloved by bureaucrats seeking funding?) rate, might be at more than one disadvantage when attempting admission to the elites. As a doctoral product of a "public Ivy" back when the "PC wars" began in earnest, I recall we dissidents who leaned away from the prevalent megaphone, so to speak, faced diminished prospects in job searches and how we'd fare in our dissertations and advisor's mentorships. (Although a classmate a few years ahead wound up as an editor of a prominent neo-Catholic journal as well as a respected pundit/prof on the folliies of dumbdown campus groupthink.)

And that was before "Theory" and identity politics utterly swamped the liberal arts. A "taqqiya" option might do the trick if a student was skilled at not showing his or her true cards. It could be done, but getting admission without the "disempowered bonafides" applicants need for "most favored nation status" to me appears the stumbling block, as to recommendations and academic history. The plan for subterfuge would have to start before kindergarten! But the fifth column concept, as you and I concur, may be useful for those already grown up and in the workforce. I'm also interested, ICT, given your own profession, about your take on the medical issues that the U of Cal is dealing with vis-a-vis conscience clauses and Dignity et al's clout?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fionnchu's post:
  • antiquarian
Imperator Cesar Trump wrote: We need to protect each other and help each other, forming little professional groups and belonging to country clubs.

If you mean exclusively White (&Irish) professional groups and country clubs (or even majority) then that's a very backwards point of view, IMHO. I'm afraid now days either The-Powers-That-Wannabe and or God Himself, (who favors the poor), have put the exclusive type Whites (&Irish) on notice: you will be subjugated by my people(s) you all have subjugated, and no lame excuses why it's not fair or whining that wasn't OUR fault.

Once one of my old teachers felt I needed reminded, (in the Safeway parking-lot), how our school district had had a Black music teacher back in the 1960s. See my Other Half had enrolled her black son in school and he thought it necessary, (I remember his 'look' as he crossed the lot torwards me), to tell me this. It rather perplexed me at the time but I understood why he felt it needed said.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!