How exactly does the cult around a future saint develop?
I was reading about whether or not the canonization of saints was infallible.  Talk about a headache.  I think the topic is almost too stupid/frustrating to discuss.  The contrast between the old rationale for canonization (recognition of a cult that had grown around a particular individual) vs the new (I dunno, creating a Vatican II Hall of Fame?) got me thinking about how the old way worked.

Do people just start praying to a particular person and see where things go from there?  Is there any risk of different types of sin or immorality in doing this?

EDIT: I ask because the main person that I would like to pray for me and my family is Abp. Lefebvre. You know, because he was based and stuff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperator Caesar Trump's post:
  • antiquarian
From my understanding, yeah, it really starts with those closest to the individual to start praying for/to them for intercession. Once it spreads wide enough, then the local diocese looks into it and sees if there's any confirmation of miracles.

I invoke Abp. Lefebvre every day. Regardless of your stance on his actions toward the Conciliar Church, the man was the greatest missionary of the 20th century and possessed heroic virtue. I pray for the day that he's canonized.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2

My blog: https://slavetothesacredhe.art.blog/
[-] The following 2 users Like Augustinian's post:
  • antiquarian, CarmeliteKnight
I believe there are differences between cults and their origins, some beginning when the person is still amongst us, and others developing after their deaths.

Saint Anthony of Padua is a good example of the first case, for in life people knew his virtues and were certain that he was a living saint. After his death miracles kept coming all the time, and this was just a "confirmation" that the man was indeed a saint.
The second case could be Our Blessed Mother, for in life she was a simple and poor widow, doing her daily chores and caring for her only Son, and after her death... we all know the rest.

I don't understand why you mention the possibility of any sins of immorality.
Ite ad Ioseph