Guardian Angels in Christus Vincit
Recently read Bp Schnieder's new book Christus Vincit which I found quite excellent. In the chapter on Angels he says that all of them (i.e. all 9 choirs) take on the role of being a Guardian Angel at some point, whereas I thought the traditional teaching was that all Guardian Angels came from the last choir. I know this isn't a question of defined dogma beyond that we all have Guardian Angels but I was wondering if anyone knew a bit more about where he was coming from and how this related to the more common/traditional view.
Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomine Tuo da gloriam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe T's post:
  • Fionnchu
(12-05-2019, 01:15 PM)Joe T Wrote: Recently read Bp Schnieder's new book Christus Vincit which I found quite excellent. In the chapter on Angels he says that all of them (i.e. all 9 choirs) take on the role of being a Guardian Angel at some point, whereas I thought the traditional teaching was that all Guardian Angels came from the last choir. I know this isn't a question of defined dogma beyond that we all have Guardian Angels but I was wondering if anyone knew a bit more about where he was coming from and how this related to the more common/traditional view.

I posted a similar comment a few days ago on this. As the bishop does not provide endnotes for Ch. 18 "The Holy Angels" or offer more than parenthetical citation credit, he left me wondering about the source of his insight on this. I confess I'd never read any one who opined on this issue at any length (admittedly my knowledge of the angelic hosts is limited!). He mentions to the effect that angels demote themselves so as to take up the guardian role, once in a lifetime or for that matter eternity, for one human alone.

In college, I read the late convert, the polymath of Great Books fame Mortimer Adler, who speculated about what was to me surprisingly among his 102 Big Ideas an entry about Angels and a 1982 Angels and Us, which I found rapidly remaindered. While he did not admit belief outright, he astutely anticipated the revival of interest in them, which admittedly tends to lean way New Age.

From the Goodreads site embedded above for the book I excerpt this comment from the first review:

"Adler notes, though, that the celestial org-chart of nine orders of angels, laid out by someone writing under the name of Dionysius the Areopagite, is not actually canonical, although many writers, including Aquinas, regarded this writer as authoritative. So those orders have no true scriptural basis. Also, the notion of guardian angels, and in particular the idea that each of us has a unique guardian angel devoted to us alone, is based on slender evidence from scripture, and many authorities don't regard it as scripturally based."
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fionnchu's post:
  • Joe T