My boss and I...
....have severe communication issues. As mentioned, she'll ask me "How are you?" and then not even wait for an answer. She also gives me the whack 5.5 hour shifts which only grant you one fifteen minute break repetitively. I'm either holding in my bladder or not getting enough water during my shifts due to there only being a quarter of an hour separating 2.75 hours of work periods. I talked with a CSM and our Team Leader about these issues so we conspired that I could "sneak" off to take an additional break during those shifts if necessary (with their permission). The Team Leader said he'd speak to her about the communication issue and how I feel neglected when she walks away before I get to answer that question.

In addition to this, last week, I had a series of headaches and one that was so severe that I can't barely remember anything of it. What I do remember is that she ran into the backroom hall and took my hand which I then began to squeeze her hand with my pinky. That's all. As I was coming to, I continued to hold onto it and she commented how she liked how my hands were cold. I fear that may have miscommunicated permission to her to let her take my hand whenever she thinks I'm poorly. On Friday, I was having another headache when she walked in and she tells me to take her hand. She takes my hand. I eventually am able to free it and walk onto the floor but she follows in-step behind. I thought I shook her off when the CSM put me at the belt registers but she tracked me down and took me by the hand again.
I find this rather intrusive behavior. I do not want to be holding my boss's hand which to me seems creepy. I am hoping I can communicate this to her better too.

I honestly don't want her to get in trouble for this because from her perspective, she may see it as offering help for me when I'm unwell, but I am perceiving it as overly intrusive invasion of space. I suspect she may also have internal issues which may be causing some sort of additional obsession, and perhaps a desire for touch. I'm a guy and don't like touch very much. But women do typically tend to require and be more touchy in communication than men and from what I have observed, she may be struggling with marital issues of her own.
Your recent headaches sound rather serious.   Have you been to the doctor?  It is not normal for you to not remember things.
Your boss may be very worried about you.  I would be very worried about anyone who had such a series of episodes, too.
Restroom breaks are necessary.  Schedule changes are frustrating, but when you work, you get such changes.
The saying hello, or "how are you today" is not a real inquiry into your total wellbeing - it is a form of salutation/hello.  What people usually say back is "hello" or "I'm good today.  How are you?" (she will probably respond with something similar, "I'm good", or "I'm fine today, Thanks".)  It is meant to be very superficial and perfunctory.
I don't like much touching at work, either.  Feels like an invasion of my space.
(12-10-2019, 03:54 AM)MaryTN Wrote: The saying hello, or "how are you today" is not a real inquiry into your total wellbeing - it is a form of salutation/hello.  What people usually say back is "hello" or "I'm good today.  How are you?" (she will probably respond with something similar, "I'm good", or "I'm fine today, Thanks".)  It is meant to be very superficial and perfunctory.
Occasionally. Though most people generally want a response.
Yes.  They want a response, but they want a simple, "I am great today.  Thanks".
Unless they are really worried about your health or mental state they are just using this as a way to acknowledge your presence, let you know that they feel friendly towards you, and to get you both on the path for further communication.  It is a way to start a work day.
I used to struggle with this, too.  I grew up where, if someone asked you, "how are you today", they actually wanted to know how you were today.  But out here in the big world, often, not always but often, they don't really want to know much, they are just saying hello.  I learned to just smile and say "I'm good today, thanks.  And how are you?"
(12-10-2019, 11:40 AM)MaryTN Wrote: Yes.  They want a response, but they want a simple, "I am great today.  Thanks".
Unless they are really worried about your health or mental state they are just using this as a way to acknowledge your presence, let you know that they feel friendly towards you, and to get you both on the path for further communication.  It is a way to start a work day.
I used to struggle with this, too.  I grew up where, if someone asked you, "how are you today", they actually wanted to know how you were today.  But out here in the big world, often, not always but often, they don't really want to know much, they are just saying hello.  I learned to just smile and say "I'm good today, thanks.  And how are you?"
She doesn't even let me get that far... :dodgy: