Strange But True Flat Earth Story
Back in the 90's I was a flight attendant and as I was working I started to have some questions that were bothering me.

1.  How is it that the cross country flying times are relatively the same in both directions if the earth is spinning at 1000 MPH?  Shouldn't that time be incredibly shorter when traveling opposite the spinning globe?

2.  When in the cockpit over the Pacific, I asked why we couldn't see the curve of the ocean and how it is exactly that water can maintain it's position on a curve anyway?

3.  Why has no one ever circumnavigated the globe in a north/south direction?

So I asked some of the pilots and got strange rambling answers to one and two.  

For question three, the guys kind of laughed and told me that in order to learn that I would need to be a Freemason.

I'd never heard of them but had seen the name on buildings.  "What are they?  Are they the guys in those lodges?"

The guys just laughed and changed the subject.
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
Oh, and one more question I forgot to add which didn't get a straight answer:

How can we maintain a level flight trajectory as we travel long distances? Why aren't we having to adjust the nose of the plane downward or lower our elevation to account for the curvature of the earth?

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(12-11-2019, 07:25 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Oh, and one more question I forgot to add which didn't get a straight answer:

How can we maintain a level flight trajectory as we travel long distances? Why aren't we having to adjust the nose of the plane downward or lower our elevation to account for the curvature of the earth?

Sir

Ranulph Fiennes

Bt OBE

Sultan of Oman's Army (Territorial Army in 21SAS and “R Squadron”)
Fiennes served in the British Army for eight years, including a period on counter-insurgency service while attached to the Army of the Sultanate of Oman. He later undertook numerous expeditions and was the first person to visit both the North and South Poles by surface means and the first to completely cross Antarctica on foot. 
I'm no scientist, but I'll take a stab at the first question: perhaps the Earth does not move separately from its atmosphere?
(12-11-2019, 08:59 PM)Margaret-Mary Wrote: Sir

Ranulph Fiennes

Bt OBE

Sultan of Oman's Army (Territorial Army in 21SAS and “R Squadron”)
Fiennes served in the British Army for eight years, including a period on counter-insurgency service while attached to the Army of the Sultanate of Oman. He later undertook numerous expeditions and was the first person to visit both the North and South Poles by surface means and the first to completely cross Antarctica on foot. 

Thanks, but I was thinking by air.

-Our Lady of La Salette

For your first, third, and fourth questions in order:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/pole-...index.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfi...e_for_the/ (Reddit link because everything else I read said the same thing, only this explains it in the clearest way, the very first answer with the bold, when sorted by best comments.)
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of what shall I be afraid?"

"There is but one price at which souls are bought, and that is suffering united to My suffering on the cross. Pure love understands these words; carnal love will never understand them."
(12-11-2019, 10:44 PM)The27thPsalm Wrote: For your first, third, and fourth questions in order:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/pole-...index.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfi...e_for_the/ (Reddit link because everything else I read said the same thing, only this explains it in the clearest way, the very first answer with the bold, when sorted by best comments.)

Thanks!

I think their answer involved the atmosphere as well....it's been a long time....but I still don't get it.  I know the winds can make a difference in flight time, but I can't see how traveling counter to the earth's spin wouldn't make a difference just because the atmosphere is moving with it.

That's interesting about the Pan Am flight.  I don't remember seeing anything on that before.

The third explanation is like the first.  It just doesn't make sense to me.

ETA:  To go west you go east...so the plane is moving backwards but more slowly than the earth.   

I've never witnessed a plane going backwards or even hovering.  Dodgy

-Our Lady of La Salette

(12-11-2019, 09:20 PM)Catherine Wrote: I'm no scientist, but I'll take a stab at the first question: perhaps the Earth does not move separately from its atmosphere?

I just can't see how air remains attached to a ball as it spins at 1000 mph because of gravity in the same way I can't see how water remains attached in a curve to a ball as the ball spins at 1000 mph. Confused

-Our Lady of La Salette

(12-11-2019, 05:09 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: The guys just laughed and changed the subject.
[quote] I think I might be slightly concerned about flying with someone who believes that it's 4 times as far from SYD to JNB as it is from LHR to JFK

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/603869-...ory-6.html

Tread is worth the read if only for the
droll humour, (mostly British drivers).
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(12-11-2019, 05:09 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: 1.  How is it that the cross country flying times are relatively the same in both directions if the earth is spinning at 1000 MPH?  Shouldn't that time be incredibly shorter when traveling opposite the spinning globe?

The atmosphere is held to the earth by it's gravitational pull. Above the atmosphere is space which gives no frictional resistance to the air, so nothing holds the air back to prevent it from spinning at nearly the same speed as the earth is. The jet stream, which accounts for why it does take slightly longer to fly east than west (is it the other way around? haven't flown in a long time) is a result of some slip (i.e. the atmosphere not quite keeping up with the earth's rotation) which makes sense given the fact that the atmosphere is a fluid. If you immerse a spinning shaft in water (say a drill bit) you can see that the water begins to spin around it. The water nearest the spinning shaft will be moving nearly the same speed, while the water further out will spin progressively more slowly. This is an example of what's called laminar flow since the fluid moves (simply speaking) in layers of various speeds. The speed of the layers depends on the amount of friction at the edge. So applying this to the atmosphere, the air closest to the ground sees the most friction since the ground is solid and moves at practically the same speed as the earth. The higher you go the less friction is applied to the air that is initially at rest, so it moves more slowly. However, this effect is minimal since there is no friction on the outside layer opposing it's motion.
As to the freemason comment, I mean no offense but it's possible that they thought you were gullible just for asking the questions in the first place and been pulling your leg.
Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomine Tuo da gloriam.