Pope calls the idea of Mary as Co-Redemptrix "foolishness"
While I'm not a Catholic and have no real skin in the game I've always been both leery of the whole "co- Redemptrix" idea but at the same time not willing to condemn it out of hand without hearing the arguments.  From an Eastern perspective the RC separation of Mary into her own branch of theology and piety seems a bit off to me, but I realize the average RC engaging in Marian devotion has no intention of separating her from Christ.

I guess aside from dabbling with the rosary here and there in my Catholic days I was always somewhat wary of focusing too much on Mary. Towards the end the only time I ever asked for her intercession was at the Marian antiphon at Compline in the Benedictine Office.  Even as an Orthodox I will only pray  the prayers in the prayerbook and divine services to to her, and those are almost never separated from Christ nor do they attempt to consider her a "co-redeemer" in any sense whatsoever.  

Even if this could be considered in an orthodox (for RC's) fashion,  don't you think in today's day and age where people are grossly uneducated in theological matters and either don't read or don't have the intellectual capacity or the discipline to study in depth this could be a PR nightmare and disaster of epic proportions? 

And why would the Theotokos want or even need a new dogma that,  at the outset seems to make her co- equal with the Second Person of the Trinity? The Virgin Mary is known from her self abasement and humility and points to Christ, not to any exalted status she might have. It seems wrong to me, and even IF one could (which I'm not saying it can)  be construed as legitimate why open that can of worms? 

Just because Francis is wary of it (and I applaud him for that)  doesn't mean it's a good thing to try to make it a dogma. 

Where is this supported anywhere in the early Church, or anywhere prior to the Latin Middle Ages? I want an exhaustive study that's not just out of context quotes from various saints and fathers but a study that takes into account the context of the various quotes.  Is there any such study or series of articles?  Scholastic treatises don't count,  I'm looking for preferably pre schism sources with contexts.  

Not trying to stir up trouble, I'm sincerely interested in why so many trads are so passionate for what at first glance appears to us outsiders as excessive and bizarre in the extreme.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope calls the idea of Mary as Co-Redemptrix "foolishness" - by formerbuddhist - 12-14-2019, 08:08 AM