Pope calls the idea of Mary as Co-Redemptrix "foolishness"
(12-13-2019, 04:35 PM)Paul Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 11:23 AM)Florus Wrote: I really hope this title never gets official recognition.

Why? Because it confuses Protestants?

Without her fiat, there's no Incarnation and no redemption. It was Adam's sin that caused the fall, but Eve helped by offering him the fruit. Mary is the new Eve.

Co- does not mean equal to. It means 'with'. The co-pilot doesn't have to do the actual flying in order to be co-pilot.

I couldn't care less what Protestants - or any other group - thinks of us or our dogma. Nor do I share the modern Orthodox critique that we "focus too much on Mary" or that veneration of the Mother God has to be liturgical. 

I'll just post what I said in another thread about this:

The redemption of man is solely the work of God, no one can share in this title. Christ offered himself on the cross, and it is his sacrifice alone which is the cause of our forgiveness and redemption.

I'm sure you could somehow twist the term co-redeemer to basically mean co-operator in redemption, but then the term is pretty much useless since we all co-operate with the grace of God to further the work of salvation.

And, at least in English, co does imply equality.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope calls the idea of Mary as Co-Redemptrix "foolishness" - by Florus - 12-14-2019, 12:21 PM