How to acquire a relic?
I would love to have the relic of a saint for veneration in our home, but I know that purchasing relics is the sin of simony. I'm curious what methods there are for acquiring relics in a legitimate way. Is this simply a matter of "knowing a guy"?
(12-18-2019, 02:52 PM)CarolusP Wrote: Is this simply a matter of "knowing a guy"?

I believe so.
Under pope John Paul II the Vatican declared that relics would no longer be given to private individuals, for this “diminished” and limited their range of action, and now only parishes can request them, with the permission of their bishop.
At least this is what some CAF’ers repeat “ad nauseam”.
Ite ad Ioseph
The only one I know of is a stone from the cave of St. Michael, which you can obtain by donating $50 to pay for postage, the reliquary and authenticity certificate from the Shrine of St. Michael in Gargano, Italy.

Quote:To obtain a St. Michael relic stone, Fr. Chad Ripperger, FSSP, recommends we donate $50.00 (about 42 Euros) via paypal, to cover international shipping costs and the expense of the reliquary (metal container holding the St. Michael relic stone, also called a “theca”).
Simply add the number of St. Michael relic stones requested and the shipping address (if different from your paypal shipping address) in the “Add a Note” section: https://www.paypal.me/santuariosanmichel
To learn more about the Basilica Sanctuary of St. Michael in Gargano, Italy, and the Fathers of the Congregation of Saint Michael Archangel, visit http://www.santuariosanmichele.it/?lang=en.
http://atxcatholic.com/index.php/2017/09...fqvEvlKiUk

I've been meaning to get one myself for some time, but keep forgetting.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
(12-18-2019, 03:26 PM)Ioannes_L Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 02:52 PM)CarolusP Wrote: Is this simply a matter of "knowing a guy"?

I believe so.
Under pope John Paul II the Vatican declared that relics would no longer be given to private individuals, for this “diminished” and limited their range of action, and now only parishes can request them, with the permission of their bishop.
A glance at EBay reveals many relics, as well as old missals, chasubles, medals, and countless amounts of pre-V2 church items. I wonder if anyone's done an investigation into the online trade in such (formerly?) revered 'sacramentals' as to their authenticity, provenance, and supervision. Or, are sellers merely scouring the 'remnants' of whatever's been discarded from empty contents?
The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people may hear today (Francis of Assisi); Win an argument, lose a soul (Fulton Sheen)
(12-18-2019, 07:15 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 03:26 PM)Ioannes_L Wrote:

I believe so.
A glance at EBay reveals many relics, as well as old missals, chasubles, medals, and countless amounts of pre-V2 church items. I wonder if anyone's done an investigation into the online trade in such (formerly?) revered 'sacramentals' as to their authenticity, provenance, and supervision. Or, are sellers merely scouring the 'remnants' of whatever's been discarded from empty contents?

Countless high and side altars were buldozed during the "renovation" process, which means that countless relics were removed from them and stored somewhere else. Maybe they're now being sold at Ebay, who knows.
There's also the hypothesis of relics being sold after their "owner's" death.
Ite ad Ioseph
Online antique dealers seem to have them, but they don't really know what a relic is so they are poorly advertised.  Quite a few monstrances for sale, too.
However, finding a true relic can be difficult.  You see, at one time there was quite a business in creating and selling "relics" to gullible tourists.
Some old relics are thought to be true - they came out of convents that used relic processing (putting it in a nice frame, writing on a slip of paper what the relic is and the name of the convent) as a source of income/spreading the faith.  But there is no way to know if you have a real relic that came thru the convents or a fake that was created in a backroom of a market stall.
“Purchasing” a relic is a complicated subject. As others have mentioned, you can probably find just about every kind of 1st/2nd/3rd class relic or sacramental on ebay.

Several years ago I “rescued” a purported 1st class relic of St Theodore of Amasea off of ebay. Ebay policy typically doesn’t allow the sale of human body parts (yes, bones) but who honestly cares I guess? First class relics are big $$$$.

Many of the purported 1st class relics of saints floating around the internet marketplace date from the 18th/19th/early 20th centuries...the 1st class relic of St Theodore in my care is probably anywhere between 100-150 years old judging by the reliquary (it looks like it has been modified over the years) itself.

No paperwork exists to verify whether the relic is authentic or not, but I suppose it doesn’t matter at this point if special devotion to the Saint increases your faith. I’m not quite brushed up on my anatomy or anthropology, so I have no way of knowing myself whether the bone of St Theodore is actually Homo sapiens sapiens or belonged to a pig. No way of knowing where the relic was originally from if truly authentic.

Did his bone come from Venice where he was an early patron Saint of the city? Or earlier from Constantinople? What about from Brindisi (Italy), where he later became a patron “protector” of the city and where his bones are on display now? Or from some back alley shop that used pig bone and dressed it up as belonging to a Catholic Saint?

Such fascinating possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-18-2019, 07:02 PM)Augustinian Wrote: The only one I know of is a stone from the cave of St. Michael, which you can obtain by donating $50 to pay for postage, the reliquary and authenticity certificate from the Shrine of St. Michael in Gargano, Italy.

Quote:To obtain a St. Michael relic stone, Fr. Chad Ripperger, FSSP, recommends we donate $50.00 (about 42 Euros) via paypal, to cover international shipping costs and the expense of the reliquary (metal container holding the St. Michael relic stone, also called a “theca”).
Simply add the number of St. Michael relic stones requested and the shipping address (if different from your paypal shipping address) in the “Add a Note” section: https://www.paypal.me/santuariosanmichel
To learn more about the Basilica Sanctuary of St. Michael in Gargano, Italy, and the Fathers of the Congregation of Saint Michael Archangel, visit http://www.santuariosanmichele.it/?lang=en.
http://atxcatholic.com/index.php/2017/09...fqvEvlKiUk

I've been meaning to get one myself for some time, but keep forgetting.

This stone is not a relic in the proper sense.

There are only two kinds of relics.

First class relics are slivers of the True Corss, Instruments of the Passion, items directly associated with or used by the Blessed Virgin Mary, and parts of the bodies of Saints (hair, flesh, bone, etc.)

Second class relics are clothing or other items which have touched the body of the Saint more than just momentarily or accidentally during their lifetime.

Anything else is not a relic in the proper sense.

Some people have "third-class" relics, which are items which are supposedly touched to first class relics, but these are not relics in any canonical sense. They may be holy objects, but are not relics.

Hence, what Fr Ripperger hocks is not a relic. It's a devotional item, yes, but it is in no way a relic. St Michael is an angel. He does not have a foot. A piece of a stone from where he "stepped" or from the cave that became the shine to him is a religious devotional keepsake, but is not a relic in any real sense.

It is wrong for him to represent it as such, but I'm not surprised he's doing so. More and more he's descending into silliness as he becomes one of those "famous" priests. Fame and the priesthood tend not to mix well.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Ioannes_L, jovan66102
A priest friend gave me several relics he obtained in Rome from the Passionists.

They cost him €10 each, which was the cost of the theca in which they were contained. The monastary "sells" such relics to any cleric who visits and ask for them. All they ask is to cover the expense of the theca.

When the same relics are selling on eBay for $500 each, and the claim is that the seller is auctioning off the reliquary and the relic is a gift, it's a load of hooey. Even were it high quality silver and gold, a jeweler friend says he could make those reliquaries for under $50. Add to this that obscure relics sell for low prices but the Holy Cross relics are thousands of dollars.

That's simony : putting a price on something on account of some spiritual significance, and not merely on the material cost. It is a grave sin to even offer such things for sale, let alone purchase them.

Add to this, that many of what you find on eBay and elsewhere are fakes (and often well-done fakes).

No one needs a relic at home for devotion. If you are able, through some legitimate channel to obtain one, great, but I'd steer anyone thinking of buying something far away from this.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Ioannes_L, jovan66102