How many times can we receive Holy Communion on Christmas Day ?
+PAX+

I am planning to attend an NO Mass on Christmas Day because my family wants me to be there at home. At the same time, I’m planning to (and have the means to) travel to an SSPX Chapel for the Tridentine Mass in the evening...

So, can I receive Holy Communion twice on Christmas Day at two separate forms of Mass ?

TIA...
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
(12-23-2019, 11:55 PM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: +PAX+

I am planning to attend an NO Mass on Christmas Day because my family wants me to be there at home. At the same time, I’m planning to (and have the means to) travel to an SSPX Chapel for the Tridentine Mass in the evening...

So, can I receive Holy Communion twice on Christmas Day at two separate forms of Mass ?

TIA...

Can.  917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.

Can.  921 §1. The Christian faithful who are in danger of death from any cause are to be nourished by holy communion in the form of Viaticum.

§2. Even if they have been nourished by holy communion on the same day, however, those in danger of death are strongly urged to receive communion again.

§3. While the danger of death lasts, it is recommended that holy communion be administered often, but on separate days.
(12-24-2019, 12:41 AM)Paul Wrote: Can.  917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.

So, in a nutshell, I can receive Holy Eucharist in both the Christmas Day Masses, right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
(12-24-2019, 12:57 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 12:41 AM)Paul Wrote: Can.  917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.

So, in a nutshell, I can receive Holy Eucharist in both the Christmas Day Masses, right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right.

https://canonlawmadeeasy.com/2008/12/18/...stmas-day/
Just to nuance it a bit, all the SSPX priests I've talked to recommend following the old norm and only receiving once a day unless there are grave reasons to the contrary. So it's not a sin to receive twice for sure, but you have to weigh carefully whether you'll benefit spiritually from receiving a second time. God bless!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatGladTrad's post:
  • gospel654
(12-24-2019, 05:31 AM)ThatGladTrad Wrote: Just to nuance it a bit, all the SSPX priests I've talked to recommend following the old norm and only receiving once a day unless there are grave reasons to the contrary. So it's not a sin to receive twice for sure, but you have to weigh carefully whether you'll benefit spiritually from receiving a second time. God bless!

What's their reasoning for it? Assuming proper disposition, and recognising the sacrament for what it is, of course you benefit spiritually from receiving Him again, since you're receiving more grace.
(12-24-2019, 01:15 PM)Paul Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 05:31 AM)ThatGladTrad Wrote: Just to nuance it a bit, all the SSPX priests I've talked to recommend following the old norm and only receiving once a day unless there are grave reasons to the contrary. So it's not a sin to receive twice for sure, but you have to weigh carefully whether you'll benefit spiritually from receiving a second time. God bless!

What's their reasoning for it? Assuming proper disposition, and recognising the sacrament for what it is, of course you benefit spiritually from receiving Him again, since you're receiving more grace.

The change to Canon Law embodies the new notion of the Mass as not principally the Propitiatory Sacrifice of the Cross re-presented on the altar, of which Communion is a means of uniting with this Sacrifice, but instead the heretical notion of the Mass as a memorial meal.

As a sacrifice, only the priest need Communicate in order for there to be a complete sacrifice. One can fully participate in the Mass without Communion, and in fact, it was common in the past that Communion was not given at Mass, but afterward. Add to this, one is obliged to attend Mass many times each year, but only Communicate once. So the essential act and full participation in the Sacrifice does not demand Communion, but presence and attention. Sacramental Communion is an added benefit (and a great good), but accidental.

However, if the Mass is a meal, then it makes little sense to show up to a meal and not eat. One does not fully participate in a meal unless one comes and eats. In fact, one does not fully participate if he only take some food, but refuses others (thus to fully participate, one needs to take both species).

The change in Canon Law reflects this, and also the attitude that one needs to go to Communion at each Mass. There is a danger here, of course, of slowly picking up this false notion of the Mass, but also more dangerous, of both thinking that Mass=Communion and expecting Communion as a right.

With Mass=Communion, the danger is that we reduce the Sunday obligation to Communion, and not to Mass attendance. From this flows the "but it's valid" argument with sacrilegious Masses and the Sunday obligation. The idea is "I need to receive this Sunday" not that I need to go to Mass and honor God (and if the Mass is a dishonor, then I ought not go). We also tend to then go to Communion without Confession when not in the State of Grace.

With Communion as a right, we get the notion that a priest is being unjust by excluding people from "full participation" by refusing, say, an adulterer Communion.

So, while the faithful are permitted by Law to Communicate twice in a day, and certainly could do this without sin (and the SSPX priest can not refuse them if they show up a second time, but perhaps ought discuss it with them afterward), there is a dark side to this privilege. The Church has always been very careful with the Blessed Sacrament, especially in not permitting too much frequency with Communions and Benedictions. Historically Benediction could only be given with the local bishop's permission, and Perpetual Adoration was something a few religious orders did, not parishes. Add to this various devotions which involve Communion talk of monthly Communion, or Communion ever two week (Plenary Indulgences, First Friday devotion, the Holy Name Society, First Saturday, etc.). St Pius X was trying to encourage weekly or daily Communion, but not many Communions each day. Familiarity breeds contempt, so while there are many graces here, the Church wanted to seek out the sweet spot of maximizing graces with avoiding the loss of grace by habit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • gospel654
When read in context the new Canon Law is also obviously trying to allow you to communicate at Mass even if you've already particapted in another communion outside Mass. If you received Holy Communion after a Liturgy of the Word say, because you didn't think you'd be able to go to Mass that day, but then in the afternoon you have the luck of getting to Mass anyway. Here the Church wants to ensure you can receive as there are many graces of receiving Holy Communion at Mass.
I think it was never intended to be read "you can always receive Holy Communion twice so long as the second time is at Mass."
This notion that one can receive Holy Communion more than once a day is news to me-- and I was brought up within the Novus Ordo Masses!

My Dad, who was an altar boy pre-Vatican II, taught me that it was only proper to receive Communion once per day. 

[The exceptions being, of course, if one was being offered Viaticum or was actually the Priest celebrating multiple Masses per day]. 

I do not question these citations of more recent Canon Law cited in this thread, but personally, I'd exercise extreme caution if considering taking Communion twice (or more) in the same day. 

As others have pointed out, it would seem that such a practice risks "cheapening" the act of receiving Holy Communion. 

But this is just my feeling on the matter.
My understanding of communion derives more from my Eastern rite background. When I was Anglican, I didn't even receive it every Sunday. I also started to realize that I can actually go and receive a blessing in the Western rite if I don't receive communion so I might as well receive a blessing at the very least.

It's been a long time since I've had communion and I hope a date will be set soon for my chrismation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newenglandsun's post:
  • gospel654