Marriage and looking inward
(01-04-2020, 04:37 PM)Orthodox Andy Wrote: .....

A lot of older people still view it as normal life experiences to have first kisses and dates well before my age. I'm not sure how true that still is in today's world. There are also some older people I am close with who take the opposite view that women and dating are just basically wastes of time for most young men until they have fully matured.

I'd like to point out the wrongheaded assumption that young women today are somehow mature. I work in academia and I can tell you from my experience that if anyone believes young women are "mature" then I have a snowman on the sun to sell you. At least I don't get the young guys graveling in my office for extra credit and trying to charm me by telling me what a "great professor I am." Please.....I have a hyperallergy to BS and its usually always a young woman setting it off.

I've overheard a great many of these "mature" young women's conversations too. I would say to any guy these days that self-imposed celibacy or the priesthood is a far better option than getting entangled with today's young women. Too many are empty shells with no brains, sense of duty, or consideration for anyone but themselves.

Maybe that wasn't helpful but it is what I have observed....
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
(01-12-2020, 12:16 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 04:37 PM)Orthodox Andy Wrote: .....

A lot of older people still view it as normal life experiences to have first kisses and dates well before my age. I'm not sure how true that still is in today's world. There are also some older people I am close with who take the opposite view that women and dating are just basically wastes of time for most young men until they have fully matured.

I'd like to point out the wrongheaded assumption that young women today are somehow mature. I work in academia and I can tell you from my experience that if anyone believes young women are "mature" then I have a snowman on the sun to sell you. At least I don't get the young guys graveling in my office for extra credit and trying to charm me by telling me what a "great professor I am." Please.....I have a hyperallergy to BS and its usually always a young woman setting it off.

I've overheard a great many of these "mature" young women's conversations too. I would say to any guy these days that self-imposed celibacy or the priesthood is a far better option than getting entangled with today's young women. Too many are empty shells with no brains, sense of duty, or consideration for anyone but themselves.

Maybe that wasn't helpful but it is what I have observed....

I don't know how it used to be, but I know I personally don't find most young women interesting.
(01-02-2020, 01:35 AM)Orthodox Andy Wrote: Does marriage help you married couples look inward and not be so concerned about the state of the world? I know I have a huge problem with always drowning in other peoples problems, or society's problems. I know plenty of other young, single people like that, but when I see married couples, they have a lot less of that tendency, if at all. 

I always figured it was easier for them to ignore things around them go downhill as long as they have a good home life.

I would say that being married and having a baby has made me less anxious about things I cannot change in the world. The things I can change and the things I can affect are a much better use of my labor.

With my job I have to think about stuff in the world, but I think about my projects, not the whole range of things that produce any suffering anywhere.
(01-03-2020, 04:50 AM)MaryTN Wrote: 6 big changes in your life.
1.  Getting married.  Not the engagement or the ring, but actually being married.
2.  The moment you find out that a baby is coming.
3.  Seeing that baby immediately after birth, before cleaning up.
4.  Bringing that new baby into your home, putting that baby into the crib you set up.
5.  Your child gets married.
6.  You become a grandparent.
None of these include job promotions, Instagram vacations, new car purchases or craft beer samplers.

You made me recall something . A picture that was in my home growing up. 

Here.

ETA: sad are the sentiments that went along with the blogger's comments on these pictures. But they are little tidbits of info that reflect the current dilemmas.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(01-03-2020, 04:50 AM)MaryTN Wrote: 6 big changes in your life.
1.  Getting married.  Not the engagement or the ring, but actually being married.
2.  The moment you find out that a baby is coming.
3.  Seeing that baby immediately after birth, before cleaning up.
4.  Bringing that new baby into your home, putting that baby into the crib you set up.
5.  Your child gets married.
6.  You become a grandparent.
None of these include job promotions, Instagram vacations, new car purchases or craft beer samplers.

I would add a seventh, if you live long enough. 7. You become a great grandparent. Happened to us a year ago.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • CopiosaApudEumRedemptio, ServusDei