New and looking to not lose my faith
Hi, I am a convert, I fought with my husband when he became catholic then I fought my way into the church, so what I believe has cost me something. My extended family is all Protestant and the best kind. We believed your relationship with God should show in your life. I've been Catholic for four years and my husband has been down the sedevacantist road, the SSPX road and  is now heading towards the Orthodox Church. I'm hoping to find help on this forum and break out of the isolation I am in.

I am not intellectual but I know some things. I am not fanatical but if I'm to believe that Jesus is truly present body blood soul and divinity at Mass then we should act like it. I am greatly discouraged, disheartened, crushed, perplexed, confused by what i see at Mass and in the church at large.
Anyway, I hope to find help here.
(01-05-2020, 06:46 PM)Missbeliever Wrote:
Hi, I am a convert, I fought with my husband when he became catholic then I fought my way into the church, so what I believe has cost me something. My extended family is all Protestant and the best kind. We believed your relationship with God should show in your life. I've been Catholic for four years and my husband has been down the sedevacantist road, the SSPX road and  is now heading towards the Orthodox Church. I'm hoping to find help on this forum and break out of the isolation I am in.

I am not intellectual but I know some things. I am not fanatical but if I'm to believe that Jesus is truly present body blood soul and divinity at Mass then we should act like it. I am greatly discouraged, disheartened, crushed, perplexed, confused by what i see at Mass and in the church at large.

The are a couple of things to unpack here. 

First, I get it. The isolation stinks and is a horrible feeling. So, in order to move past this feeling a couple of things to consider. 

Embrace you isolation! It's actually a really great feeling. The Catholic Faith is the hardest Faith practiced and lived. I learned to embrace the feeling of loneliness my life changed. I started to see things more clear and with a level head. After that, I found myself in moments of being stuck and finding everything wrong with everything and that is when My wife and I started to realize that we needed to make more deeper and meaningful cuts in our lives. We left the Catholic school and started homeschooling. We started practicing the Faith in our lives with no apologies. My wife left her job. We plan on attending TLM at least once a month. TV has been limited to a couple of hours a week. Just a couple of things to consider. 

Next, Stop looking for the perfect CHURCH (you are in the perfect Church because it we the Church created by JESUS!) and become the perfection Jesus asked of YOU. Live your Faith because it is the only thing that matters. People will think your strange because you live the Faith. Pray the Rosary everyday, go to Confession (daily, weekly, monthly, whatever you have to do.) pray before meals even when you are out in public, Start reading and listening to things that matter and address critical issues in the Faith (Tan books, good podcasts, Catholic radio, FISHEATERS...). Find things that deepen your Faith as oppose to ripping it apart. 

The Catholic Church needs the Church Militant to rise up and stand guard once again. Don't miss out on this opportunity to defend the Church.
(01-05-2020, 08:10 PM)mr.rose77 Wrote:

The are a couple of things to unpack here. 

First, I get it. The isolation stinks and is a horrible feeling. So, in order to move past this feeling a couple of things to consider. 

Embrace you isolation! It's actually a really great feeling. The Catholic Faith is the hardest Faith practiced and lived. I learned to embrace the feeling of loneliness my life changed. I started to see things more clear and with a level head. After that, I found myself in moments of being stuck and finding everything wrong with everything and that is when My wife and I started to realize that we needed to make more deeper and meaningful cuts in our lives. We left the Catholic school and started homeschooling. We started practicing the Faith in our lives with no apologies. My wife left her job. We plan on attending TLM at least once a month. TV has been limited to a couple of hours a week. Just a couple of things to consider. 

Next, Stop looking for the perfect CHURCH (you are in the perfect Church because it we the Church created by JESUS!) and become the perfection Jesus asked of YOU. Live your Faith because it is the only thing that matters. People will think your strange because you live the Faith. Pray the Rosary everyday, go to Confession (daily, weekly, monthly, whatever you have to do.) pray before meals even when you are out in public, Start reading and listening to things that matter and address critical issues in the Faith (Tan books, good podcasts, Catholic radio, FISHEATERS...). Find things that deepen your Faith as oppose to ripping it apart. 

The Catholic Church needs the Church Militant to rise up and stand guard once again. Don't miss out on this opportunity to defend the Church.
I'm not looking for the perfect church just a church that doesn't destroy me. I've done all of the above. I am a hurting person, the situation I am in is not my fault. I'm sure you meant all of that in kindness but because I am having difficulty it does not follow that it is my own doing.
I think you would do well to read the history of the Catholic Church. The Arian crisis, the Albigensian crisis, the Protestant revolt. Read about that history and how the Church suffered. It helps to realize that you are not alone and nothing is new under the sun. It also sounds like your husband should focus more on reassuring your faith, rather than hopping back and forth theologically.

I pray you will find answers to reassure your faith.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • antiquarian
(01-05-2020, 06:46 PM)Missbeliever Wrote: I've been Catholic for four years and my husband has been down the sedevacantist road, the SSPX road and  is now heading towards the Orthodox Church. I'm hoping to find help on this forum and break out of the isolation I am in.

When one goes down the Sedevacantist road the obvious question then becomes, why stop there? and hence the Orthodox tack now. I couldn't go down either roads because we have had several Popes since both of these splits and the end has not arrived, meaning as bad as times were, there is still One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, neither the Orthodox or the Sedevacantists have Papal succession. Obviously I don't want to have this post edited again, but I will simply say there are two people alive today who have held the Chair of Peter and hence if one were to lay claim they would have an entirely valid claim.

(01-05-2020, 06:46 PM)Missbeliever Wrote: I am not intellectual but I know some things. I am not fanatical but if I'm to believe that Jesus is truly present body blood soul and divinity at Mass then we should act like it.

Exactly, I have no choice but to attend the N.O. Mass, but even there I always receive the Eucharist from the Priest, on one knee and on the tongue, if we will not stay and be an example who will? So long as Christ is truly present I will go. Unless of course they are an out and out flagrant heretic such as James Martin, even then Id certainly try and have words with him or his bishop before leaving for another Catholic Church if possible.

(01-05-2020, 06:46 PM)Missbeliever Wrote: I am greatly discouraged, disheartened, crushed, perplexed, confused by what i see at Mass and in the church at large.

The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is undergoing a great trial, she is going through her passion and death, after which will come her resurrection. Only when all appears lost will it be won. I believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and that the gates of hell will never prevail over her.

"Jesus, I Trust In You"

God Bless You
Jesus to St Faustina:

"For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

"Remember My Passion, and if you do not believe My words, at least believe My wounds." (Diary, 379)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)
[-] The following 1 user Likes josh987654321's post:
  • jovan66102
...because I am having difficulty it does not follow that it is my own doing.

No, it doesn't follow at all, and I don't think the advice was meant to suggest this.

I'm new, too, but only in the sense that I very recently decided to register for the forum after visiting for so many years, I've lost count. I dislike social media (huge waste of time and quite dangerous to souls) and have even stopped making the rare post on blogs. Why post here? Because long observation has convinced me this site has charitable management and posters here (while quite human) are generous toward everyone, even when the volume gets turned up.

I think you've come to the right place.

Hello, 

I have to keep this brief, but just wanted to add that as a convert of four years, you are still a “youngster” in the Faith, especially having come from a Protestant background*.  I would encourage you to give it a lot more time (I’m talking years) before even considering losing your faith or getting completely discouraged, despite anything that is going on around you, in your family or the Church. I don’t know how long your husband has been Catholic, but it seems to me that he is showing signs of being a “beginner.” Focusing inward, developing true devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and to Our Blessed Lady — these take time and are necessary. You will most likely meet many more disappointments from within and without along the way, but keep striving to put all of your trust in Our Blessed Lord. 

*speaking from experience
[-] The following 2 users Like Margaret-Mary's post:
  • antiquarian, jovan66102
I wonder how much heartache one has to experience before the hurt is considered valid...
One of the two priests that were instrumental into my entering the Church is in the process of leaving the priesthood and romantically involved with my newly annulled former best friend. He was also one of my closest friends.
I've experienced two miscarriages in a parish where no one is having children and we already have 9. I know what it means to not feel welcome. I've attended this parish for over 10 years and the "fellowship" has never been there.
I've read Goodbye Good men.
All my kids godparents except for one couple have had their marriages annulled and either plan to remarry or have remarried.
I think I am aware enough or have experienced enough to have my faith shaken.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Missbeliever's post:
  • antiquarian
Of course the hurt is valid. You've been hit hard.

You'll find that everyone here has taken fire too, much of it in the back. Since we're all familiar with the drill, I'll spare you my own ugly tale of woe. We're all in this together.

The solitary point of this attack is to make you lose your faith. Yes, it's personal, Satan is gunning for you, for every faithful Catholic, and he's not going to quit until you draw your last breath. That said, it's all a bluff. Try to smile a little more--he can't stand that--and go about your business with confidence in Our Lord and His Blessed Mother.

If robbers broke into your home, would you hand them the keys and walk out? Or take down Old Betsy from above the fireplace?  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Teresa Agrorum's post:
  • antiquarian, Margaret-Mary, Sacred Heart lover
(01-06-2020, 01:15 PM)Teresa Agrorum Wrote: Of course the hurt is valid. You've been hit hard.

You'll find that everyone here has taken fire too, much of it in the back. Since we're all familiar with the drill, I'll spare you my own ugly tale of woe. We're all in this together.

The solitary point of this attack is to make you lose your faith. Yes, it's personal, Satan is gunning for you, for every faithful Catholic, and he's not going to quit until you draw your last breath. That said, it's all a bluff. Try to smile a little more--he can't stand that--and go about your business with confidence in Our Lord and His Blessed Mother.

If robbers broke into your home, would you hand them the keys and walk out? Or take down Old Betsy from above the fireplace?  Big Grin
Thank you for your response.