Do we have to listen to the Pope?
(01-07-2020, 04:50 PM)Missbeliever Wrote: In regards to MacPasquale's comment: "but you're not going to find the answer summed up in a forum thread(and probably not in a single, isolated book). "

I don't see why not. Why can't the truth be simple? Why can't the answer be pointed out in a church document?
This situation seems a lot different than the difficulty of converting. In that situation the priest had to work to dismantle the barriers to the truth and then present the truth, so there were complexities there but this seems more like I'm being asked to weave and bob and contort myself and close one eye and so on to have this all make sense. 

I don't think there's a good answer.  I've asked the same question and have received similar answers.  The Pope is only infallible ex cathedra, you should ignore him if he teaches or says something that's contrary to doctrine, and so on.  I'm not satisfied with those answers either.  

First of all, we are suppose to listen to the Pope and follow his advice, ex cathedra or not.  In the Catechism of Saint Pius X it says, "Every Catholic must acknowledge the Pope as Father, Pastor, and Universal Teacher, and be united with him in mind and heart."  That doesn't sound like we can just ignore the Pope and wait for better days. 

I'm at a loss and understand your frustration.  Sticking it out with this Pope and looking the other way makes me feel complicit in heresy by association, especially since he's stacked the deck with his Cardinals.  I'm not at all comfortable with it, but I don't have another option that I know of at this point.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 03:25 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-09-2020, 12:39 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-13-2020, 01:10 PM