Do we have to listen to the Pope?
(01-07-2020, 11:39 PM)jack89 Wrote: It's what Pope Saint Pius X was telling us to do.  Makes it even more of a conundrum.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying there's no good answer.  We're suppose to treat the Pope as "Father, Pastor, and Universal Teacher", but can't do that when what he's putting out is contrary to doctrine.

Not everything a Pope says is infallible, or to be taken absolutely literally, and this has to be one of them. We have to use some common sense here, and there's nothing Pope Francis is doing where he's telling everyone they have to be bound by what he says. If we take St Pius X literally, then we have to admire the example of Alexander VI, as a father, and John XXII, when, as Universal Teacher, he taught that the dead do not immediately enjoy the Beatific Vision.

And, unpopular opinion time, but the more I think about it, the less I think St Pius X's doings were as good as people, particularly traditionalists, think. I'm not saying he had any bad intentions, but nevertheless paved the way for the modernists he worked to suppress to do what they did. Statements like the one you've brought up are a great view of the Pope when he's a holy man like Pius X, but this view of the Pope, combined with the newly-declared dogma of papal infallibility made it possible for the reforms of Paul VI and ultimately the cries of 'schism!' whenever someone criticises Pope Francis. It's almost papolatry, and the liberals/modernists have exploited this view of the papacy to great success. His reform of the Breviary, radically changing the traditional Psalter, also opened the way for the later reforms, and encouraging Communion at every Mass has led to people equating Mass attendance with reception, and the great confusion over whether one can receive, with now everyone going to Communion and nobody going to Confession.

Maybe he never foresaw any of that. But he knew Modernism was a danger, and perhaps it was not the best time to be making changes. I'm sure he's up there praying that we have a way out of this mess. But it's hard to not see the things he did as contributing to it, even if unintentionally so.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • jack89, jovan66102

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 03:25 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-09-2020, 12:39 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM