Do we have to listen to the Pope?
I am reminded of the old joke. The German theologian is convinced that no Pope has ever spoken infallibly, whereas the Irish PP is convinced that every time the Pope sneezes, he's infallible.

As to the 'retroactivity', yes it 'it retroactively declar(ed) papal infallibility'. Otherwise it would be a 'new' dogma, and such a thing cannot exist. Notice that Pastor æternus says that it is 'divinely revealed dogma'. Public (binding) revelation ceased with the death of St John the Evangelist, so if it's 'divinely revealed', it must have always been true.

Quote:9. Therefore, faithfully adhering to the tradition received from the beginning of the christian faith, to the glory of God our savior, for the exaltation of the Catholic religion and for the salvation of the christian people, with the approval of the Sacred Council, we teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that when the Roman Pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA, that is, when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church, he possesses, by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his Church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals. Therefore, such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the Church, irreformable.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 03:25 AM