Do we have to listen to the Pope?
(01-12-2020, 07:10 PM)Missbeliever Wrote: My husband's response to Father Chad Rippeger's book is, 'Who has the authority to determine what tradition is? A priest or the Roman Pontiff?' He has read the book.
He's read everything everyone here has suggested, quite seriously he has. He is the intellectual one, I think more on the practical level. How can I say this is the ruler of my religion but I ignore him? 
What buddhist ignores buddha? What Muslim ignores Muhammad? What Latter Day Saint ignores Joseph Smith? If I can't make sense of this dizzying mess, how can I explain why I "obey"  (but not really) a humanist, paganistic pope to my evangelical mother?
I feel like Wesley talking to Vizzini! "Truly you have a dizzying intellect!"

I haven't read the book myself but this is a question I also have. Why should I listen to this priest? 
The bottom line is, at least I think it is-or should be: what does the Church say about obedience to the pope?

Well clearly your husband thinks he has greater authority over both, since he doesn't wish to listen to this priest who has a masters in theology and a doctorate in philosophy, or Fr Hesse who holds two doctorates in canon law and theology.  Tradition is determined by the Church, in which the Pope is the visible head of that Church, but he is not the Supreme Head of the Church, that belongs to Jesus Christ. 

I will sum up what Fr Hesse has said:  "The Pope is not the President, he is the vice-president."  The Pope is not God and he does not have unlimited powers to change that which the Church has declared to be infallible teaching.

You tell your mother you "obey" the Pope when he speaks ex cathedra and frankly if she gives you too much grief then tell her that as a Protestant she wouldn't understand.  The Church has had "bad" Popes.  When Pope John XII murdered and committed adultery, does that mean we should get mistresses and go round killing too?  NO!  When Pope Alexander VI bribed his way into the papacy and and invited prostitutes to engage in an orgy, does that mean we too should follow him?  NO!

People on here are giving you words of priests with advance theological training who are quoting doctrine, Church Teaching, Papal documents, Encyclicals...they are not pulling this out of their rears.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • jovan66102

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 03:25 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-09-2020, 12:39 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM