Do we have to listen to the Pope?
(01-13-2020, 02:37 AM)Missbeliever Wrote: Why do you have to get nasty to someone who is struggling? I haven't been offensive to anyone on here, why do you have to get like that?
I was a Protestant once, I'm not going to talk to my mom like that, I understand her confusion.
I'm sorry if I seem like I'm rejecting the advice given. I don't have time to do all the reading suggested here, I intend to listen to the videos tomorrow when I have time. I trust my husband's opinion because he's smarter than I and has done the reading.
I just thought that if there was a Church document stating that it was okay to ignore the pope or that a pope can be a heretic, the people here would know and I wouldn't need to spend the time searching Church documents for that info. If someone has already given me that info I apologize for having missed it. I will reread the posts to make sure I didn't miss something.

I'm sorry if I came off rash, but people are taking the time to try and give you good, concrete answers.  I apologize for sounding nasty and it is not my intention to.  I was not trying to be nasty, but since that's how it came off, I'm sorry.  I do understand your frustration and concern. 

I was a Protestant too and again perhaps my suggestion was too blunt, but the truth is Protestants really do have a different way of thinking.  I was a Protestant once too and many Protestants have the mindset of "I don't need authority because the Bible is my authority."  So whenever a pastor does something sinful, then the Protestant can just reject their ministry and move on to something else. 

Catholics will continue to go to a wretched priest because being Catholic means submitting yourself to the Church and the Lord's anointed.  Now does that mean I have to go along with his tie-dye vestments and ecumenical sing-alongs?  No, but when he is delivering me the Sacraments, I can have confidence that they are efficacious because one does not lose their vocation because they are a lousy priest.  When that same wretched priest tells me I have to do (pray the Our Father once) does that mean I can just say to myself "Well that is a lousy penance, I will give myself penance and something more strenuous."  Again, No.  He is the priest and while he cannot bind me to a doctrine that is contrary to the Faith, he can bind my sins based on the penance he has given me and if I want full absolution, I must obey and do what he tells me to, I must pray that single Our Father.  Now, if he said I had to say a prayer of a different religion, or ask me to do something that is contrary to the Church, then I am free to reject and attempt to do my own penance.  However in the case of the latter it would be best to simply avoid that priest altogether and find a different one.

As Jovan said, we don't have a Church document.  Tell your detractors that just because there was no Church document on Papal Infallibility for centuries does not mean that people ceased being Catholics because of one issue. Nor does it mean that what the Church declared in 1870 was something new.  In regards to this current papacy as I have stated we are all kinda going in different directions, but my hope ---and I hope it is shared--- is that irregardless if you find yourself a benevacantist, sedevacantists, R&R, or conservative Catholics like Catholic Answers & Co, that we all are praying for a swift resolution.  That God will intervene and the errors of the past and present are corrected and we who profess One Holy and Apostolic Catholic Faith will become united again under a Pope where there are no fears or concerns if he will introduce novelties or make heresies.

Quote:"All those things are to be believed by divine and Catholic faith which are contained in the written Word of God or in Tradition, and which are proposed by the Church, either in solemn judgment or in its ordinary and universal teaching office, as divinely revealed truths which must be believed."  Vatican I, 1870

"For this reason the Fathers of the Vatican Council laid down nothing new, but followed divine revelation and the acknowledged and invariable teaching of the Church as to the very nature of faith, when they decreed as follows: "All those things are to be believed by divine and Catholic faith which are contained in the written or unwritten word of God, and which are pro posed by the Church as divinely revealed, either by a solemn definition or in the exercise of its ordinary and universal Magisterium" (Sess. iii., cap. 3)" Encyclical On the Unity of the Church by Pope Leo XIII, 1896

"But for Catholics nothing will remove the authority of the second Council of Nicea, where it condemns those "who dare, after the impious fashion of heretics, to deride the ecclesiastical traditions, to invent novelties of some kind...or endeavor by malice or craft to overthrow any one of the legitimate traditions of the Catholic Church"; nor that of the declaration of the fourth Council of Constantinople: "We therefore profess to preserve and guard the rules bequeathed to the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, by the Holy and most illustrious Apostles, by the orthodox Councils, both general and local, and by everyone of those divine interpreters, the Fathers and Doctors of the Church." Wherefore the Roman Pontiffs, Pius IV and Pius IX, ordered the insertion in the profession of faith of the following declaration: "I most firmly admit and embrace the apostolic and ecclesiastical traditions and other observances and constitutions of the Church." Encyclical On the Doctrine of the Modernists by Pope Pius X, 1907

The last quote from Saint Pope Pius X of happy memory, is why we as Catholics can reject a Pope when he dares to follow that of heretics.  We are bound to the same holy Ecumenical Councils that forbade us to act in the ways of the heretics.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Zedta - 01-06-2020, 07:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-07-2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 12:33 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 02:11 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-08-2020, 03:25 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-09-2020, 12:39 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by Paul - 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by austenbosten - 01-13-2020, 08:15 AM
RE: Do we have to listen to the Pope? - by jack89 - 01-13-2020, 01:10 PM