How Long Can I Leave My Christmas Tree Up?
How long can I leave my christmas tree/decorations up? I was told until February 2 but is it earlier? The old calendar vs. the new is so confusing.
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
(01-07-2020, 11:58 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: How long can I leave my christmas tree/decorations up? I was told until February 2 but is it earlier? The old calendar vs. the new is so confusing.

We put ours up on Christmas Eve and take it down the day after Candlemas (Feb 3), along with creche & any other Christmas decorations.  (This year and last we just used one of those tabletop retro ceramic trees that light up, because of a very feisty kitty that would massacre and topple a regular tree many times a day, but same timing applies.)  :)
My dearly departed wife was a most avid Christmas Lover. She's insisted on leaving the tree up until it was quite the fire hazard and I'd have to take it down while she was away somewhere. Personally, I recall that my mother would keep our, albeit artificial, Christmas tree up until Epiphany Sunday. That seemed appropriate and safe as well.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
Epiphany at the earliest, Candlemas at the latest, any time in between. Me, I prefer Candlemas.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Redneck Catholics leave it up year round, so we don't have to decorate in the next Advent.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 5 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • Ambrosiano, antiquarian, Caridad, newenglandsun, Zedta
I leave mine up until Candlemas.  Candlemas is when the Marian antiphon switches from the Advent/Christmas one (Alma redemptoris mater) to the Lenten one (Ave regina coelorum).

That said, there isn't a defined rule or anything like that.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
You mean you don't veil your tree during Passiontide?
[-] The following 5 users Like Paul's post:
  • Ambrosiano, MiserereMeiDeus, Teresa Agrorum, VoxClamantis, Zedta
(01-07-2020, 11:58 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: The old calendar vs. the new is so confusing.

??? The end of the Christmas Season, Candlemas, 2 February, is the same in both Calendars. The confusion arises over how many days there are in Christmastide, since the New Calendar makes the Feast of the Epiphany a 'floating' Feast.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
You can put it up whenever you want and you can take it down whenever you want.  You don't have to have a tree to celebrate the Christmas season.
Big house, tree can stay up.
Little house with little rooms, the tree comes down.
Babies grabbing at the tree and ornaments, it comes down.
Dogs that pee on the tree, it comes down the day after Christmas.
Outdoor Christmas lights come down based on local custom - keep an eye on the neighbors and take yours down when they do.  As someone else said, Rednecks keep this stuff up all year long, then all you have to do is flick the switch and , ta-daa, Christmas!
As long as you please. There is a lady at my parish who leaves it up year round. But honestly, there is no liturgical requirement as far as Christmas decorations go.
[-] The following 2 users Like newenglandsun's post:
  • Caridad, jovan66102