Women Who Have Had Abortions and Don't Regret It
I'm in a lot of pro-life debate groups on Facebook, and recently there was a big to-do about a meme somebody shared with a picture of recent female oscar-winner at the Golden Globes (can't remember her name, never heard of her) with the words "I'm a murderous whore and I killed my baby for this golden idol." This visibly pregnant actress apparently received her Oscar on stage and publicly praised the decision she'd made in the past to have an abortion in order to advance her career. It was, frankly, nothing short of appalling. 

However, lots of people in the group got upset and claimed that we should never call post-abortive women "whores" or any names whatsoever. I'm not sure what to think about this. Of course, if the woman is repentant, it would be wrong to call her a murderer or anything of the sort. But what about the many, many women out there who gleefully celebrate their abortions and display no regret or shame whatsoever? I don't think calling them names is an effective tactic either, but I understand why pro-life people do it out of frustration and anger and disbelief that a woman could willfully murder her own baby and celebrate it afterwards. I don't think it's right or Catholic to call anybody names, whether they deserve it or not, but I do see the value in telling the truth how it is, and this actress certainly was a harlot who slept around and then murdered the resulting baby because it got in the way of her lifestyle. 

Which brings me to my second point. I've never had an abortion, and I'm currently pregnant. And I'm having a really hard time understanding how women are "tricked" or "coerced" into murdering their own child. Abortion is murder, and undeniably so. However, we don't use the same excuses for homicide that we do for abortion. We don't say to the man or woman who stabbed their spouse to death or to the single mom who drowned her son in the bathtub, "oh, you were tricked into it, you didn't know any better, you were forced." Therefore, should we not treat post abortive women, especially the ones who don't regret it, the same way we treat folks who kill other living beings and are prosecuted by the law? 

Yes, of course many women are sorry for their abortions and regret having them. But I'm sure there are a lot of people currently in prison for murder who are sorry for what they have done, too. Why do women who murder their own children get a free pass from the law? Would it be a good deterrent for abortion to have the penalty be life in prison, similar to how the majority of people are sentenced for infanticide when they murder a baby who happens to be outside the womb instead of inside it? 

I have heard and read the stories of many post-abortive women who always seem to play the victim card when it comes to talking about their abortions. "I was forced into it, the doctor tricked me, I didn't have a choice...." But you can't tell me that those women didn't know exactly what they were doing. You can't tell me that these women were so ignorant of biology and devoid of common sense and morality that they "just didn't know" they were ripping an innocent baby limb from limb. It makes no difference if you are dirt poor, sixteen years old, on the path to stardom, or if you already have 27 kids; murder is still murder, and murder is inexcusable. Any excuse for abortion, including ignorance, seems like a cop-out to me. 

Thoughts? Or am I turning into a raving lunatic thanks to my pregnancy hormones?
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SacraCor714's post:
  • CarmeliteKnight

Messages In This Thread
Women Who Have Had Abortions and Don't Regret It - by SacraCor714 - 01-07-2020, 12:40 PM