Ideas on how to be more positive
I suppose I could appear as a "positive person" to some people, even though I certainly have melancholic tendencies. I am not comfortable giving advice to people I do not know, and I am not sure my experience can be generalized, but I have learned that for myself, thinking too much about the future rarely bear good fruit. Other than making sensible choices as far as money and health goes, there is not much we can do, apart from making today beautiful. I work, in my professional life, with people who suffer, and I have noticed that it helps me worry less about myself or "the world"/big issues; what is right in front of me requires my attention and helps me forget myself.

I also noticed from your name and profile that you are an Orthodox Christian, just like me. A friend once told me a story about a man who visited an Orthodox monastery. The man asked many "big questions" about life and Christianity. One of the monks told him that he would tell him the truth about Christianity. He then pointed towards a wheelbarrow filled with heavy stones and said: "You bring the stones in the wheelbarrow to the top of the hill where we usually drop them, and then you come back for another load. That is Christianity!".

I am not sure if this story makes sense to you, but I have pondered it a lot after my friend told it 6 or 7 years ago, and I find it to be true. When we focus on struggling to do what is right with that which we have right in front of us, we also discover simple joy, since it open us up for Christ who meets us in the now. I often fail to live like this myself, but I try, and I find that it helps.

I hope I have not said too much, I am not spiritually experienced, so please take it for what it is...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nisse's post:
  • Orthodox Andy
This story has a happier outcome now. Seeing a psychiatrist, taking mood stabilizers, and attending a different parish have all drastically reduced my depressive nature. I thank you all for your support.
[-] The following 3 users Like Orthodox Andy's post:
  • austenbosten, Nisse, PilgrimMichelangelo
Andy I have lived a good portion of my life in the same way.
I still would not say that I am of a particularly positive outlook but I have been largely granted the ability to find enjoyment in moments and take them as they come.

Living Thoreau's "life of quiet desperation" was destroying the good in my life.
Choose every day to not let the perfect be the enemy of the eminently good enough.
We have to be conscious of those good things and not allow the endless loop of doom playing in our heads to overwhelm them.
It takes continuous effort, patience and prayer but you can get there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Water1965's post:
  • J Michael, Orthodox Andy
(05-07-2021, 05:18 PM)Orthodox Andy Wrote: This story has a happier outcome now. Seeing a psychiatrist, taking mood stabilizers, and attending a different parish have all drastically reduced my depressive nature. I thank you all for your support.

Glad to hear it! 

Yes, changing parishes can do wonders. I am hoping to change parishes sometime soon myself. 

Northwest Orthodoxy takes it's toll on so many souls. In the end we can end up depressed, anxious, burnt out and half crazy--or all crazy and wanting nothing to do with the religion half the time.
"Orthodoxy is not so much a matter of the head. It is something living, and it's of the heart." --Bl. Seraphim of Platina

"Beauty will save the world." --Fyodor Dostoevsky

"You shall know the truth, and it will make you odd." --Flannery O'Connor
[-] The following 1 user Likes PilgrimMichelangelo's post:
  • Orthodox Andy
I read the original post and I think Andy Capp