Scientists call them xenobots: Team Deveolpes First Living Robots
This is a rather concerning turn of events. It would seem that we have entered into the realm (undoubtedly we are much farther along in the development of these things or they would not have divulged their existence so publicly) of biological robotics on the microscopic scale. We have heard, for a relatively long time, of the nanobots that are now even only of mere molecular density or to say, microscopic in size, but still considered mechanical. Now these creatures of man, which are of biological makeup, mimicking frog tissue, for instance, are being made public.

Very curious and sorta creepy at the same time. What could happen if these little buggers (scientists call them xenobots) get out and are trans-morphed by living biological systems?

Back in the 80s, my son told me about how part of his passing of a class in molecular-biology, was to create an organism. I wondered then and since, how this procesess could evolve? I'd imagine that if there were literally thousands of labs in many colleges and schools throughout the world, performing such things, without the aid, inevitably, of full control of their products, that some sort of 'creature', macro or microbiological in form, could one day be unleashed into our biosphere.

If there are articles in main stream news outlets today, then there have to have been many places where this has long been under experimentation and long been in fruition of some rather very spooky results.

Makes one take pause in wonder. I does me. Vox may have had some second thoughts on the results of SciFi theory on society, well, this Science fact is far more scary, IMHO.

Keyboard Warrior

Article Wrote:
[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp...YRmAQw--~C]

A tiny manufactured quadruped (4-footed) organism. The scientists described this creature (if we can call it a creature) as "a bit smaller than a pinhead." Image via Douglas Blackiston/ Tufts University. 

Team builds the 1st living robots

Scientists call them xenobots for the frog species from whose cells these little robots were created. They describe the robots as tiny blobs, submillimeter in size (a millimeter is about 1/25th of an inch). These blobs - the xenobots - contain between 500 and 1,000 cells. They can heal themselves after being cut. The xenobots have been able to scoot across a petri dish, self-organize, and even transport minute payloads. Maybe, eventually, they'll be able to carry a medicine to a specific place inside a human body, scrape plaque from arteries, search out radioactive contamination, or gather plastic pollution in Earth's oceans. And, yes, the scientists do acknowledge possible ethical issues. Read more
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
Undoubtedly they're much further along in the development of these golem. If the US military's tech is supposed to be decades ahead of consumer tech, then it is plausible biotech is just as far along too.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • Zedta
I'm excited by the possibility of harnessing living creatures (such as a monkey, which has very useful mobility and mechanical possibility) and controlling their movements via embedded chips (which would interface with their neural interface and nerves). That would mean "robots" that are biologically friendly, take up no electricity, and in plentiful supply. In my opinion, this is a better way than "creating organisms" which would take lots of time, and I doubt the usability of any such product.
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
(01-15-2020, 11:58 AM)ServusDei Wrote: I'm excited by the possibility of harnessing living creatures (such as a monkey, which has very useful mobility and mechanical possibility) and controlling their movements via embedded chips (which would interface with their neural interface and nerves). That would mean "robots" that are biologically friendly, take up no electricity, and in plentiful supply. In my opinion, this is a better way than "creating organisms" which would take lots of time, and I doubt the usability of any such product.
Surly you jest?

All that control of monkeys is rather old fashioned and dated, having been done in the 50s.

This newer stuff of automatons is more the "Terminator" or "Blade Runner" genera.

ServusDei Wrote:That would mean "robots" that are biologically friendly, take up no electricity, and in plentiful supply.
And why not? I am certain, looking historically at technology:
What could go wrong?

But then, we always seem to find out the answer to that question, no?
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
(01-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: Surly you jest?

All that control of monkeys is rather old fashioned and dated, having been done in the 50s.

This newer stuff of automatons is more the "Terminator" or "Blade Runner" genera.

I didn't know it was done before, but yes, I am interested in that.

(01-15-2020, 01:03 PM)Zedta Wrote: And why not? I am certain, looking historically at technology:
What could go wrong?

But then, we always seem to find out the answer to that question, no?
lol. I think that under proper control, such robotic animals would be greatly beneficial -- for instance, we could send them to help out in impoverished countries doing menial work (like farming) thatway the humans can get educated, and improve their country.
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!
(01-15-2020, 01:12 PM)ServusDei Wrote: lol. I think that under proper control, such robotic animals would be greatly beneficial -- for instance, we could send them to help out in impoverished countries doing menial work (like farming) thatway the humans can get educated, and improve their country.

That is soooo altruistic a stance but in the real world, the sum effect would be much more not-human-friendly. One should examine history more closely, for man's curse is that when left alone,  man seeks evil all the time.

"under proper control" is the key. Such goals are way too often not evenly applied.
Art Bell

J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • ServusDei