A Father to his Flock: In Defense of Sacerdotal Celibacy.
That escalated quickly
Ite ad Ioseph
(01-18-2020, 05:48 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 03:22 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 12:41 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: The Eastern Churches fell away from the way of perfection:  http://tinyurl.com/yxcfbgn4

Uh huh.

homosexualists since VII 

*How many of the men in the pictures you posted are celibate?
 Much longer than VII.  More like many, many centuries.

* Exactly my point.  The way of celibate perfection in the monastic state remains strong and produces countless saints.  That path is fully available for those so called.  Presbyters have never lived as monastics in the East.  The practice has not changed.  

The Council of Trullo simply restated and reconfirmed the East's long standing tradition (which was under threat) and condemned mandatory celibacy for presbyters.
Where would Eastern schismatics be if they didn't have the Occidental Church to kick around and use this crisis to puff themselves up.
(01-18-2020, 07:32 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Where would Eastern schismatics be if they didn't have the Occidental Church to kick around and use this crisis to puff themselves up.
If that isn't classic textbook projection I don't know what is.  In case you're unaware, the Occidental Church has done the vast majority of the kicking for millennia now.  Pius IX literally put his foot on the neck of his own Melkite patriarch.  That's a whole 'nother level of puff-uppery.

I merely respond when the Church and Her traditions are insulted.  That Trads choose to continually go after the East and perpetuate a Latin-only-ist superiority complex while Rome burns comes off as incredibly tone-deaf.  Just saying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PorphyriosK's post:
  • Melkite
(01-18-2020, 08:27 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote: If that isn't classic textbook projection I don't know what is.  In case you're unaware, the Occidental Church has done the vast majority of the kicking for millennia now.  Pius IX literally put his foot on the neck of his own Melkite patriarch.  That's a whole 'nother level of puff-uppery.

I merely respond when the Church and Her traditions are insulted.  That Trads choose to continually go after the East and perpetuate a Latin-only-ist superiority complex while Rome burns comes off as incredibly tone-deaf.  Just saying.

I think you have it backwards: this thread was about celibacy in the West. Others, as usual, brought up the East. It gets tiresome hearing Eastern practices -- which *are* a falling away from the path of perfection -- being used to tell the West what to do.

As to your other post, yeah, when seminaries aren't vigilant, they can be used as homosexual hide-outs. The answers are vigilance and treating being homosexual as the disorder it is and not a sin in itself, not as something that needs to be hidden away.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(01-18-2020, 08:27 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 07:32 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Where would Eastern schismatics be if they didn't have the Occidental Church to kick around and use this crisis to puff themselves up.
If that isn't classic textbook projection I don't know what is.  In case you're unaware, the Occidental Church has done the vast majority of the kicking for millennia now.  Pius IX literally put his foot on the neck of his own Melkite patriarch.  That's a whole 'nother level of puff-uppery.

I merely respond when the Church and Her traditions are insulted.  That Trads choose to continually go after the East and perpetuate a Latin-only-ist superiority complex while Rome burns comes off as incredibly tone-deaf.  Just saying.

I don't have a problem with Eastern Catholicism, but I have a problem when Eastern schismatics go on about how "false" the Occidental Church is because of the current crisis that exists. I'm annoyed because many of these so-called 'Eastern Orthodox' Christians were actually members of the Roman Catholic Church and worse were originally converts from Protestantism.

I have a problem when the Modernist heretics point to the Eastern Rites in order to justify their demonic novelties to continually pervert and corrupt the Latin Church.

If you love the East/Protestantism/Paganism so much, then LEAVE!!!

But these men are likely under the spell of an evil spirit and hence, they won't.
(01-18-2020, 08:49 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 08:27 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote: If that isn't classic textbook projection I don't know what is.  In case you're unaware, the Occidental Church has done the vast majority of the kicking for millennia now.  Pius IX literally put his foot on the neck of his own Melkite patriarch.  That's a whole 'nother level of puff-uppery.

I merely respond when the Church and Her traditions are insulted.  That Trads choose to continually go after the East and perpetuate a Latin-only-ist superiority complex while Rome burns comes off as incredibly tone-deaf.  Just saying.

I think you have it backwards: this thread was about celibacy in the West. Others, as usual, brought up the East. It gets tiresome hearing Eastern practices -- which *are* a falling away from the path of perfection -- being used to tell the West what to do.

As to your other post, yeah, when seminaries aren't vigilant, they can be used as homosexual hide-outs. The answers are vigilance and treating being homosexual as the disorder it is and not a sin in itself, not as something that needs to be hidden away.
Latin celibate priesthood is a legitimate and honorable tradition so I do understand your frustration, but again, the East did not "fall away".  Look at the Oriental Orthodox.  They had absolutely nothing to do with Trullo.  We haven't been in communion with them since the 5th century, yet they have the exact same tradition.  They haven't changed, we haven't changed.
  • Melkite
(01-18-2020, 08:59 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 08:27 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote:

I don't have a problem with Eastern Catholicism, but I have a problem when Eastern schismatics go on about how "false" the Occidental Church is because of the current crisis that exists.  I'm annoyed because many of these so-called 'Eastern Orthodox' Christians were actually members of the Roman Catholic Church and worse were originally converts from Protestantism.

I have a problem when the Modernist heretics point to the Eastern Rites in order to justify their demonic novelties to continually pervert and corrupt the Latin Church.

If you love the East/Protestantism/Paganism so much, then LEAVE!!!

But these men are likely under the spell of an evil spirit and hence, they won't.
I never said your Church was false.  There's simply a great deal of falsehood that has infected your hierarchy, and with your top-down ecclesiology it has spread easily and quickly.  No, I don't believe the Catholic crisis just popped-up out of nowhere in the 1960's, and yes, I do believe that certain aspects of the crisis have theological and philosophical roots.  But that doesn't mean all is lost.  I've made many comments in support of the Trad cause here and elsewhere.
  • austenbosten
(01-18-2020, 09:30 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote: I never said your Church was false.  There's simply a great deal of falsehood that has infected your hierarchy, and with your top-down ecclesiology it has spread easily and quickly.  No, I don't believe the Catholic crisis just popped-up out of nowhere in the 1960's, and yes, I do believe that certain aspects of the crisis have theological and philosophical roots.  But that doesn't mean all is lost.  I've made many comments in support of the Trad cause here and elsewhere.

My apologies for mis-characterizing you. No, this crisis has been on-going for a long time, but it seems that few want to actually correct it. There is a lot of hope I see given that so many are finally acknowledging a serious problem in the Church.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • PorphyriosK
(01-18-2020, 09:38 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 09:30 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote: I never said your Church was false.  There's simply a great deal of falsehood that has infected your hierarchy, and with your top-down ecclesiology it has spread easily and quickly.  No, I don't believe the Catholic crisis just popped-up out of nowhere in the 1960's, and yes, I do believe that certain aspects of the crisis have theological and philosophical roots.  But that doesn't mean all is lost.  I've made many comments in support of the Trad cause here and elsewhere.

My apologies for mis-characterizing you.  No, this crisis has been on-going for a long time, but it seems that few want to actually correct it.  There is a lot of hope I see given that so many are finally acknowledging a serious problem in the Church.
I admit my initial post with the pictures was not nice, so I apologize as well.  When I read the claim that the East "fell away from perfection", that seemed to imply that the West hasn't fallen away from perfection, so I went trolling.