A Father to his Flock: In Defense of Sacerdotal Celibacy.
The desire to rid the Church of this holy and ancient practice is due to the misguided shepherds who think that the dwindling priesthood is due to a lack of married priests and not a lack of Faith on the part of the episcopate and laity.
[-] The following 3 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • KIM.T, piscis, XavierSem
(01-20-2020, 12:43 AM)piscis Wrote: If I try to picture opening up the priesthood to married men, I just can't see how this idea would even work. The average married man who is still going to a typical Novus Ordo parish presumably already is set in an established, full-time career in addition to his familial responsibilities. What man in that situation in his right mind would also add on the seminary training time (equivalent of graduate studies for 4+ years) and the added professional workload? How could he possibly be of significant benefit to the parishes or dioceses he would serve? If such a man were to become a priest, I would probably trust him even less because I don't see how I could trust his basic judgment in the first place.

I have experienced what you are saying here first hand.  I have many stories but here are a couple.

A very sick Orthodox man needed a priest. The Orthodox priest could not give enough time to  the sick man (for example, administering anointment of the sick),  because there was some affair regarding his daughter that he had to attend (not an emergency or anything like that). 

I also know of an Orthodox priest that moved an hour away from his parish to a good town so that his children could attend good schools. His parish is located in a city with bad neighborhoods and bad schools.

I actually cannot blame these two priests for what they did. It is only natural to love your children above anyone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KIM.T's post:
  • XavierSem
Something that doesn't often get addressed, but should, is are all these 'Married Priests Now' people willing to pay for it? From Fr Dwight Longenecker, a former Anglican, and a married, Latin Rite, Catholic Priest.

Quote:It seems there are billboards like this going up all across Cincinnati demanding “Married Priests. Now.”

My usual quick comment when someone brings up the issue of married priests (and it is almost always a progressive Catholic who does so) is:

“Well, we have to remember that if the man is married and young and he and his wife are fertile they would be living within the teachings of the Catholic Church right?”

“Well. Um. Sure. I guess”

“Right. So if they are young and fertile they’re not going to be using contraceptives so they may not have your neat and tidy 2.3 suburban children with a working mom and double income. They might in fact have a dozen kids and it ain’t really cheaper by the dozen.”

“Oh. Oh yeh. That.”

“So you’re in favor of married priests. Are you prepared to put an extra $25.00 in the plate each week to pay for an extension on the rectory, private school fees, orthodontist, college and the rest?”

“You know. I think celibacy for priests is a great idea…”

From Married Priests Now?, by Fr Dwight Longenecker
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 5 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian, Catherine, KIM.T, piscis, XavierSem
Yes, since the state of Perpetual Continence is a higher path of perfection, and since the Catholic Priesthood is likewise superior to the lay state, it clearly follows that Perpetual Continence especially befits the Priesthood - those called to a higher state in life must feel called also, in general, to practice the higher state of life, which is Virginity or Celibacy. Our Lord is also the Model Priest and He was Perfectly Continent. Since every Priest is to strive to be an Alter Christus, it is clear that Celibacy is an ideal model for the Priest.

Next, St. Paul also teaches in the First Epistle to the Corinthians, throughout Chapter 7, that it is good to marry but better to remain undivided in one's commitment to the Lord. It is obvious Priests in particular are especially called to this undivided committment.

Some further Biblical verses to note"

"Matt. 19:11-12 – Jesus says celibacy is a gift from God and whoever can bear it should bear it. Jesus praises and recommends celibacy for full-time ministers in the Church. Because celibacy is a gift from God, those who criticize the Church’s practice of celibacy are criticizing God and this wonderful gift He bestows on His chosen ones.

Matt. 19:29 – Jesus says that whoever gives up children for the sake of His name will receive a hundred times more and will inherit eternal life. Jesus praises celibacy when it is done for the sake of His kingdom.

Matt. 22:30 – Jesus explains that in heaven there are no marriages. To bring about Jesus’ kingdom on earth, priests live the heavenly consecration to God by not taking a wife in marriage. This way, priests are able to focus exclusively on the spiritual family, and not have any additional pressures of the biological family (which is for the vocation of marriage). This also makes it easier for priests to be transferred to different parishes where they are most needed without having to worry about the impact of their transfer on wife and children.

1 Cor 7:1 – St. Paul teaches that it is well for a man not to touch a woman. This is the choice that the Catholic priests of the Roman rite freely make.

1 Cor. 7:7 – St. Paul also acknowledges that celibacy is a gift from God and wishes that all were celibate like he is.

1 Cor. 7:27 – St. Paul teaches men that they should not seek marriage. In Paul’s opinion, marriage introduces worldly temptations that can interfere with one’s relationship with God, specifically regarding those who will become full-time ministers in the Church.

1 Cor. 7:32-33, 38 – St. Paul recommends celibacy for full-time ministers in the Church so that they are able to focus entirely upon God and building up His kingdom. He “who refrains from marriage will do better.”

https://www.scripturecatholic.com/priest...rdination/
"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your Most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the sufferings of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests ..."

https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/
The Church has always highly esteemed Holy Matrimony as something very good; and She has also taught, just as Our Lord and His Apostles did, that freely sacrificing that good for the sake of the Kingdom of God is something even better, and therefore a higher degree of perfection, which those in the Clerical state especially are called to. Let Pope Pius XII explain, also about the Eastern or Oriental rites:

"19. As for those men "who were not defiled with women, being virgins,"[31] the Apostle John asserts that, "they follow the Lamb wherever he goes."[32] Let us meditate, then, on the exhortation Augustine gives to all men of this class: "You follow the Lamb because the body of the Lamb is indeed virginal. . . Rightly do you follow Him in virginity of heart and body wherever He goes. For what does following mean but imitation? Christ has suffered for us, leaving us an example, as the Apostle Peter says 'that we should follow in his footsteps'."[33] Hence all these disciples and spouses of Christ embraced the state of virginity, as St. Bonaventure says, "in order to become like unto Christ the spouse, for that state makes virgins like unto Him."[34] It would hardly satisfy their burning love for Christ to be united with Him by the bonds of affection, but this love had perforce to express itself by the imitation of His virtues, and especially by conformity to His way of life, which was lived completely for the benefit and salvation of the human race.

If priests, religious men and women, and others who in any way have vowed themselves to the divine service, cultivate perfect chastity, it is certainly for the reason that their Divine Master remained all His life a virgin. St. Fulgentius exclaims: "This is the only-begotten Son of God, the only-begotten Son of a virgin also, the only spouse of all holy virgins, the fruit, the glory, the gift of holy virginity, whom holy virginity brought forth physically, to whom holy virginity is wedded spiritually, by whom holy virginity is made fruitful and kept inviolate, by whom she is adorned, to remain ever beautiful, by whom she is crowned, to reign forever glorious."[35]

20. And here We think it opportune, Venerable Brothers, to expose more fully and to explain more carefully why the love of Christ moves generous souls to abstain from marriage, and what is the mystical connection between virginity and the perfection of Christian charity. From our Lord's words referred to above, it has already been implied that this complete renunciation of marriage frees men from its grave duties and obligations. Writing by divine inspiration, the Apostle of the Gentiles proposes the reason for this freedom in these words: "And I would have you to be without solicitude. . . But he that is with a wife, is solicitous for the things of the world, how he may please his wife; and he is divided."[36] Here however it must be noted that the Apostle is not reproving men because they are concerned about their wives, nor does he reprehend wives because they seek to please their husbands; rather is he asserting clearly that their hearts are divided between love of God and love of their spouse, and beset by gnawing cares, and so by reason of the duties of their married state they can hardly be free to contemplate the divine. For the duty of the married life to which they are bound clearly demands: "They shall be two in one flesh."[37] For spouses are to be bound to each other by mutual bonds both in joy and in sorrow.[38] It is easy to see, therefore, why persons who desire to consecrate themselves to God's service embrace the state of virginity as a liberation, in order to be more entirely at God's disposition and devoted to the good of their neighbor. How, for example, could a missionary such as the wonderful St. Francis Xavier, a father of the poor such as the merciful St. Vincent de Paul, a zealous educator of youth like St. John Bosco, a tireless "mother of emigrants" like St. Francis Xavier Cabrini, have accomplished such gigantic and painful labors, if each had to look after the corporal and spiritual needs of a wife or husband and children?

21. There is yet another reason why souls desirous of a total consecration to the service of God and neighbor embrace the state of virginity. It is, as the holy Fathers have abundantly illustrated, the numerous advantages for advancement in spiritual life which derive from a complete renouncement of all sexual pleasure. It is not to be thought that such pleasure, when it arises from lawful marriage, is reprehensible in itself; on the contrary, the chaste use of marriage is ennobled and sanctified by a special sacrament, as the Fathers themselves have clearly remarked. Nevertheless, it must be equally admitted that as a consequence of the fall of Adam the lower faculties of human nature are no longer obedient to right reason, and may involve man in dishonorable actions. As the Angelic Doctor has it, the use of marriage "keeps the soul from full abandon to the service of God."[39]

22. It is that they may acquire this spiritual liberty of body and soul, and that they may be freed from temporal cares, that the Latin Church demands of her sacred ministers that they voluntarily oblige themselves to observe perfect chastity.[40] And "if a similar law," as Our predecessor of immortal memory Pius XI declared, "does not bind the ministers of the Oriental Church to the same degree, nevertheless among them too ecclesiastical celibacy occupies a place of honor, and, in certain cases, especially when the higher grades of the hierarchy are in question, it is a necessary and obligatory condition."[41]" From: http://www.vatican.va/content/pius-xii/e...nitas.html
"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your Most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the sufferings of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests ..."

https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/