Fish Eaters Outage
Dear all,
As you know Fish Eaters was down and out for a day! Worst outage in my tenure as the server guy. Still trying to assess what on Earth caused the database corruption. Hopefully we are back up and running now! If you lost any data, please let me know.

If you are a hacker or twit that was engaging in a DDoS attack, get your attorney on standby because s/he is going to need to diaper you for the rest of your life by the time I am finished with you!

DS80
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • josepha
Happy you’re back up.  Fisheaters is one of the best sources for anything Catholic out there.  It would be such a loss.
But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her.  Luke 10:42
Thank God it's back!
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes: vanity of vanities, and all is vanity.' - Ecclesiastes 1:2
Glad it's back up too that was wild.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
I've been so bummed. Nothing's going right for me right now. The site crash was the last straw. I mean, it wasn't just the forum, it was EVERYTHING. And I was radically, utterly clueless as to what to do to fix it. Everything feels so iffy now.

Thank God for Divine Silence, that's for sure.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 4 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Fionnchu, jovan66102, Steven, Zedta
Yay! I was so worried when it went down. Honestly every time there's problems with this site, I'm concerned someone is doing it on purpose.
For us folks with a bit of a techie side what was the issue? 

Was it actually a DDoS?

At school we use cloudfare to defend, but there might be other options, but perhaps only at cost.
(01-24-2020, 12:22 AM)Catherine Wrote: Yay! I was so worried when it went down. Honestly every time there's problems with this site, I'm concerned someone is doing it on purpose.

It could be, and if it WAS a DDos, it definitely was on purpose.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

There was definitely a spike in the traffic but I think the problem was a "perfect storm." The forum database was corrupted due to a hardware issue which resulted in the web server hanging while it waited for PHP to respond (it couldn't because database was toast). The website files weren't effected thankfully and I have backed them up just in case it happens again.

I cannot really say if the spike in traffic was malicious or normal traffic just repeatedly accessing the site because of the first failed attempt. We would have to see where those IPs are located but I am not sure its worth the effort right now.

We should be ok for now until we get a better setup. MS Azure donates services to non-profits so we just have to get that setup. If anyone has a server somewhere and is willing to help Vox out that is fine too. I'm happy to maintain things if someone else just wants to donate the hosting tools.

Stay tuned....
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 1 user Likes divinesilence80's post:
  • Fionnchu