Duties of a godfather
My brother-in-law passed away earlier this month.  I am the godfather to the two children (aged 10 and 6) that he and my sister have.  I'm not sure what duties I might need to perform, since my sister is still living.  She has asked me to teach them catechism, so I've purchased the Baltimore Catechism and will begin lessons from there.  Despite my sister's desire to have me do this, she does not currently attend Mass and neither do the children.  She's expressed interest in recent months in returning to the practice of the Faith, and I think I can manage the two kids in tow with me at Mass, even if she doesn't end up returning anytime soon.  But, I doubt I can manage to take them on the one and half hour car ride to the SSPX chapel that I prefer to attend.  Any suggestions?  I'm kind of clueless right now but want to do as much as possible.  Thanks.
As I understand it, you are responsible for making sure they are raised Catholic. Obviously teaching them Catechism is part of that, but so is attending Mass. Can you find a closer Mass to take them to, so you can go to the TLM earlier or later? It might be worth the sacrifice, and two Masses a day is a blessing.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • SeekerofChrist
Is there a diocesan TLM in your area that you could take them to?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'And he shall be as a tree that is planted by the waters, that spreadeth out its roots towards moisture: and it shall not fear when the heat cometh.' - Jeremias 17:8

[Image: 180px-SA_160-Jeremia_op_de_puinhopen_van_Jeruzalem.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Augustinian's post:
  • SeekerofChrist
If it's not too much, perhaps make Sunday a big family outing day. Take your sister and kids for some activities and fun, but make Mass part of that.

You'd need help with the kids so sis needs to come along (and back to Mass at a place where she will have something noble to inspire her). The kids would get a day out with good family activities and a father figure who they learn to respect and love.

It'd be a sacrifice, yes, but it's also a way of uniting the family, and keeping the kids looking forward to Sunday. That's especially true if you can get them involved at Mass (serving or singing, etc.).

It may be too much for you alone, so tell sis that her help to make it to the traditional Mass with the kids and her in tow is the price of Catechism lessons. Say a couple of Rosaries on the drive, listen to some good Catechetical recordings, sermons, music, etc. If done rightly it will not only be possible, but the heroic charity that takes will put you in the Third Mansion quickly.
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Ioannes_L, jovan66102, Sacred Heart lover, SeekerofChrist
Is the godmother able to help at all with the children too?
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steven's post:
  • SeekerofChrist
(01-23-2020, 11:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Can you find a closer Mass to take them to, so you can go to the TLM earlier or later? It might be worth the sacrifice, and two Masses a day is a blessing.

That might be possible.  Some of the NO parishes around here have Mass late on Sunday evening.  A concern, though, is how the average NO parish in my diocese will appear conservative on the surface, only to find modernism or liberalism lurking beneath that surface, often quite subtly.

(01-24-2020, 12:03 AM)Augustinian Wrote: Is there a diocesan TLM in your area that you could take them to?

The nearest one is in a neighboring diocese, about an hour away from me.  It might save a little time but my nephew, the 10 year old, is autistic and long car rides can be problematic for him, especially in the early morning hours (when this diocesan TLM is offered).

(01-24-2020, 12:31 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: If it's not too much, perhaps make Sunday a big family outing day. Take your sister and kids for some activities and fun, but make Mass part of that.

You'd need help with the kids so sis needs to come along (and back to Mass at a place where she will have something noble to inspire her). The kids would get a day out with good family activities and a father figure who they learn to respect and love.

It'd be a sacrifice, yes, but it's also a way of uniting the family, and keeping the kids looking forward to Sunday. That's especially true if you can get them involved at Mass (serving or singing, etc.).

It may be too much for you alone, so tell sis that her help to make it to the traditional Mass with the kids and her in tow is the price of Catechism lessons. Say a couple of Rosaries on the drive, listen to some good Catechetical recordings, sermons, music, etc. If done rightly it will not only be possible, but the heroic charity that takes will put you in the Third Mansion quickly.

Thank you.  I'll definitely need my sister to come along if I am to manage the hour and a half trip to the SSPX chapel or even to the closer diocesan TLM.  Our father died in November of last year, so the loss of her husband has only deepened my sister's sense of loss and grief.  My mother entered the Church at last year's Easter Vigil but has mostly attended the NO parish in our town.  Perhaps it is too much to hope for but I'm seeing the potential to make this a bigger family outing on Sundays than I had expected.  My mother hasn't experienced the TLM, yet, and I'm sure she'd be happy to come along on the kind of family outing day you've suggested.  Thank you for the wonderful advice!

(01-24-2020, 12:38 AM)Steven Wrote: Is the godmother able to help at all with the children too?

Unfortunately, the godmother has left the Church for some Protestant group.