Clerical celibacy, Eastern defense
(01-24-2020, 09:29 PM)Melkite Wrote: Agreed on prudence, and agreed that sex has more sway than other passions.  I guess I should clarify that, even though I'm an adamant supporter of married priests, I'm not arguing that this is something the Latin Church should necessarily adopt on a broad scale.  I definitely agree that married clergy will not in anyway solve the sex abuse problem.  I think there is a very good argument to be made that, ignoring the debate on whether married priests are appropriate in general, now is probably not a prudent time for the Latin Church to adopt the practice.  My argument is against the position that allowing married priests is basically heretical, or that ordaining married men is inherently contrary to the nature of holy orders.

I can accept that God rarely grants the grace necessary for a man to be both a priest and a husband and father, and to do all well.  But I've seen married priests who do it, and I believe they have managed both well because their children don't grow up to show any signs of a troubled childhood, or harbor any anger towards the Church or rejection of it.  Regarding balancing the needs of a parish and family, a celibate priest can just as easily be torn between the needs of different parishioners.  I'm sure it's happened once or twice that a priest has been called to urgently administer last rites to different parishioners at the same time, and was not able to see both before they passed.  We're talking about practical matters, nothing that is beyond God's grace if he wishes to bestow it.  From a purely practical standpoint, I would agree with you: it makes sense for priests to not have a family so that they can devote themselves solely to the needs of the Church.  With man, some things are impossible.  With God, nothing's impossible.  So, I guess you could say, "How hard is it for a priest to also be a husband and a father?  As hard as it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle."

And that's where MagisterMusicae is spot on about the Apostolic Tradition argument.  While practically there are good arguments, it really comes down to practice.  Latins have had celibate priesthood for as long as we have been saying the Nicene Creed.  We should only consider changing it if the Church is approaching near collapse.  We are nowhere close to that and if the Vatican would get back to teaching Catholicism instead of Vatican II and the devil's farts that come with it, then perhaps they might see the seminaries grow once again.

Again if one supports married priests, it is why we have the Uniates, or even the Anglican Ordinate for that matter.
[-] The following 3 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • antiquarian, jovan66102, MagisterMusicae

Messages In This Thread
RE: Clerical celibacy, Eastern defense - by austenbosten - 01-24-2020, 10:25 PM