Reconciliation (Byzantine rite question)
There is a strong likelihood  I could be received into the Melkite Church this Saturday (provision being I want this couple to be there as witness). But I don't know much about reconciliation other than what it gives. When I went to confession in my Anglican Church, I'd read what to say off a card made for that rite. Is there anything I should know other than the "bless me father for I have sinned" part.
(01-24-2020, 09:06 AM)newenglandsun Wrote: There is a strong likelihood  I could be received into the Melkite Church this Saturday (provision being I want this couple to be there as witness). But I don't know much about reconciliation other than what it gives. When I went to confession in my Anglican Church, I'd read what to say off a card made for that rite. Is there anything I should know other than the "bless me father for I have sinned" part.

Have you already been received as a catechumen?  Is it scheduled for this Saturday, but the couple you want to be there might not be able to attend this weekend?

Regarding confession, if it is done in the traditional manner, you will approach the priest and face an icon of Christ.  You'll both bow and cross yourselves towards the icon three times, and the priest will bless you and ask if you've come to confess your sins.  Then you list your sins, the priest will give you his counsel.  Once that is done, you'll bow again, and he'll place his epitrachelion over your head and pray the prayers of absolution.  When he removes it from you're head, you stand back up, kiss the epitrachelion and his hand and you're done.
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • jovan66102
(01-24-2020, 11:48 AM)Melkite Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 09:06 AM)newenglandsun Wrote: There is a strong likelihood  I could be received into the Melkite Church this Saturday (provision being I want this couple to be there as witness). But I don't know much about reconciliation other than what it gives. When I went to confession in my Anglican Church, I'd read what to say off a card made for that rite. Is there anything I should know other than the "bless me father for I have sinned" part.

Have you already been received as a catechumen?  Is it scheduled for this Saturday, but the couple you want to be there might not be able to attend this weekend?

Regarding confession, if it is done in the traditional manner, you will approach the priest and face an icon of Christ.  You'll both bow and cross yourselves towards the icon three times, and the priest will bless you and ask if you've come to confess your sins.  Then you list your sins, the priest will give you his counsel.  Once that is done, you'll bow again, and he'll place his epitrachelion over your head and pray the prayers of absolution.  When he removes it from you're head, you stand back up, kiss the epitrachelion and his hand and you're done.
I have HFASD so crowds are problems for me. As such, I was splitting time between the large Melkite parish and a Ukrainian Catholic parish. The Ukrainian priest had me set up with someone who was supposed to teach me but realized he couldn't due to the fact that I already knew what he could have taught. The pastor there wanted me to receive further religious instruction despite the catechist he appointed even telling him about that. I got frustrated with the process to even telling my godmother's husband and a deacon at the Melkite parish that I believed there was nothing the church could offer, it was too far away, and despite attending nearly a year and a half, still felt barred from practicing what I had believed. After talking with the deacon, I realized this would be a mistake to leave, I stood in the back of the church for vespers with my godmother's husband, talked with the priest and deacon afterward. The deacon explained my religious background and situation to the priest and we have this scenario now arranged. He would've done it there but I needed to also check in with the Ukrainian priest and catechist there and they're okay with it. Also, I want that couple to witness it.
(01-24-2020, 02:41 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: I have HFASD so crowds are problems for me. As such, I was splitting time between the large Melkite parish and a Ukrainian Catholic parish. The Ukrainian priest had me set up with someone who was supposed to teach me but realized he couldn't due to the fact that I already knew what he could have taught. The pastor there wanted me to receive further religious instruction despite the catechist he appointed even telling him about that. I got frustrated with the process to even telling my godmother's husband and a deacon at the Melkite parish that I believed there was nothing the church could offer, it was too far away, and despite attending nearly a year and a half, still felt barred from practicing what I had believed. After talking with the deacon, I realized this would be a mistake to leave, I stood in the back of the church for vespers with my godmother's husband, talked with the priest and deacon afterward. The deacon explained my religious background and situation to the priest and we have this scenario now arranged. He would've done it there but I needed to also check in with the Ukrainian priest and catechist there and they're okay with it. Also, I want that couple to witness it.

If you don't mind me asking, which Melkite parish?
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
(01-24-2020, 03:28 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:41 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: I have HFASD so crowds are problems for me. As such, I was splitting time between the large Melkite parish and a Ukrainian Catholic parish. The Ukrainian priest had me set up with someone who was supposed to teach me but realized he couldn't due to the fact that I already knew what he could have taught. The pastor there wanted me to receive further religious instruction despite the catechist he appointed even telling him about that. I got frustrated with the process to even telling my godmother's husband and a deacon at the Melkite parish that I believed there was nothing the church could offer, it was too far away, and despite attending nearly a year and a half, still felt barred from practicing what I had believed. After talking with the deacon, I realized this would be a mistake to leave, I stood in the back of the church for vespers with my godmother's husband, talked with the priest and deacon afterward. The deacon explained my religious background and situation to the priest and we have this scenario now arranged. He would've done it there but I needed to also check in with the Ukrainian priest and catechist there and they're okay with it. Also, I want that couple to witness it.

If you don't mind me asking, which Melkite parish?
Holy Transfiguration
(01-24-2020, 07:20 PM)newenglandsun Wrote: Holy Transfiguration

Woot woot! That's my parish! How'd the chrismation go?